Waxing chains

So, lately I’ve been reading and watching info about how to wax your chain. I have always used dry lubes, except for a brief period when I just came to Taiwan when I used wet lube, with sticky consequences.

I am a bit afraid about the first cleaning. Dealing with strong chemicals like gasoline (I almost already discarded its use) or turps in an apartment (I have a small terrace, though) is less than ideal. If the price is fair, I’d rather buy two or three pre-waxed chains so I, my family and my neighbours can stay away from toxic fumes.

Does someone knows if it is possible to buy pre-waxed chains in Taiwan?

Another option that I have thought about it’s to try to contact some chain manufacturers here in Taiwan, to check whether it is possible to buy chains without the heavy lube they apply. Even if I would still have to give it a deep clean, it won’t require as many chemicals and time as with a regular chain. But my experience contacting factories here makes me think they won’t even reply.

Any advice? Does someone here use wax for their chains? How it handles Taiwan weather?

Waxing is still a relatively new phenomenon in Taiwan. Mostly small shops, often places that started as nail or fake eyelash salons, doing it. But no chains that I am aware of.

3 Likes

wax on is easy, wax off is more difficult.
if you repeat it many times it becomes a lot easier.

1 Like

Taipei Bike Works did it for me as part of a tune up cleaning package I got. They cleaned the chain and I think most of the drivetrain and did the wax. They did a great job and I think they added a little something to the ‘wax formula’ and I was really happy with how it performed on the road. Some people (online) find it more noisy but perhaps that depends on your drivetrain and the chain / lube you use…but I found it to be much quieter and shifting was the same. The big key for me is that it stays really clean. The dirt and grime just doesn’t stay on the chain so you really only need water and a wipe down after the ride. I’d estimate that it lasted about 450-500km before I started to feel and hear that things were not the same. This was during hot /humid weather and there were no issues.

I liked it so much in the beginning that I went out and bought a cheap slow cooker on shopee and some chain wax. My plan was before all the wax came off I would do the "easier’ steps to clean the chain since it would not have the lube/grime/ect on it, but I got lazy and missed my window. So went back to lube for now.

Next time I take my bike in, I’ll get the chain wax again for sure. I was actually thinking of buying ‘another’ chain, getting them both waxed then do a rotation.

1 Like

An good all purpose cleaner/degreaser like they use in car detailing will get your chain pretty clean. Not sure what’s available in Taiwan but you should look for something environmentally friendly.

Personally I don’t think waxing chains is worth the hassle. I’ve tried it and find regular cleaning and dry lube more convenient and performs the same when done properly. But each to their own, give it a go if you fancy it.

3 Likes

Potential watts savings are not really the point for me. Sure, saving 0.5 watts is better than losing 0.5 watts. Either way, it is not going to change my life.

To me, the key is the promise of cleanliness. Currently I have to clean the bike in an interior bathroom (no window). I try to use the less degreaser possible, but odor is still an issue. Not to mention the mess it creates. Which actually has a positive side, because after cleaning the bike I have no more excuses to not giving the bathroom a clean.

If, once I have the chain/s spotless and waxed, the only thing I have to do is to pour some boiling water on the chain (some people say this is only necessary after riding in the rain) and rewax. Then it sounds like something worth to give it a try. My hesitation comes from the chemicals required for a clean as possible chain. Maybe in the long term is going to be better for the environment, and my lungs, but in the short term… I don’t even know what to do with the products afterwards, besides evaporation.

When I lived in apartments I would keep the chain lubed but not clean it so often. As long as there is lube the drivetrain will last a decent time, just won’t look as nice. For the rest of the bike I’d use an automotive quick detailer or similar and wipe down with some tissues.

If you do try waxing, collect the dirty cleaning solvents when you’re done and place them in a container. Leave them long enough and the dirt will settle at the bottom and you can collect the clear solvent and reuse it. And wear gloves.

1 Like

All efforts seem over the top ‘cleaning in the bathroom’? get bucket hot soapy water and clean degreaser out in the street.

Giving bike a service old sheet down and do it on the balcony.
I used a low odour solvent for degreaser I’d buy here

SHOWBA小北百貨-新北竹林店

https://goo.gl/maps/bgwozm4BXBQfCFAB8

Waxing? Regular dry lube much the same but huge variety to buy, I prefer ones that give the slick wet lube sound.

1 Like

I’ve had the shop wax my chain and it’s now really hard to go back.

I tend to get caught out in wet conditions since I’m heading up and down the mountains a lot, so wax chain really helps when it comes to cleaning the bike after I get home.

All I need to do is hose down the bike, wipe it down, take a alcohol wipe to the chain, let everything dry/put the bike in front of a dehumidifier and the apply the below lube to my chain. Max 10 mins.

I used to spend a lot of time with Muc off drivetrain cleaner and end up using a bunch of solution and end up with a dirty chain. Not saying the solvent doesn’t work, but it just takes too much effort to get a nice and shiny chain.

1 Like

Cleaning the bike in the street has been always around my mind since I came to Taiwan. I have never done it because I know it is going to be more time consuming than doing it inside. Besides, every time I will forget something. Sadly, the balcony in my current place is just too small to clean a bike there.

I am almost convinced to give it a try, maybe not now, but in the near future. Cleaning naphtha and isopropyl alcohol for the initial cleaning. Then a slow cooker with paraffin and probably PTFE as the only additive. Running 2, maybe 3, chains each time should save me time and money. Time will tell.

1 Like

I’ve been lucky enough to have a spacious balcony to clean the bike. However, before I went wax, one time it was just way too cold outside, so I cleaned the bike in the bathroom. It took me twice as long to clean the bathroom than the bike.

Never again.

Hard to believe but great way of cleaning chain is WD40, give it a good soaking old toothbrush and a wipe comes out silver.
I do my Mountain bike chain this way that I dry lube.

Short video of a Recent ride.

I tend to find when I use the toothbrush it has a funny taste :thinking: maybe I’m doing something wrong…

4 Likes

Long time ago I cleaned the chain with water washable brush cleaner (which you can no longer get) then under the tap, dried it under the grill, and then ran it through a bath of melted candle wax.

Seemed to work, but that was with a splittable chain.

These days I clean with hot water, soap, and an old tooth brush, then diesel fuel, then oil.

I used to add a vegetable oil step but that polymerises eventually and becomes impossible to clean off. though it resists rain washoff very well.

I might try brake fluid, which I’ve found to be a very effective cleaner, and which is water washable, non-volatile and not smelly, though it’ll lift paint.

I use WD40 old toothbrush and a rag.
Lube with commercial dry chain lube.

I just use automotive apc on the whole bike these days as that’s what I have hanging around, then dry lube chain afterwards. If I’m feeling like treating the bike, I’ll give it a wipe down with a detailing spray.

I’m guessing that might stand for Automotive All Purpose Cleaner.
Never heard of it.

1 Like

Yes, all purpose cleaner. I’m in the uk so use bilt hamber surfex-hd. It’s cheap, environmentally friendly, no vocs and can be diluted with water. I use it for loads of stuff around the house and the garage. I’m sure you should be able to get something similar in Taiwan at car cleaning/detailing places.

Think I’ve seen GUNK here (the brand I’m familiar with from the UK) but it was a long time ago.

How do you avoid snapping your chain on a 16% gradient? Asking for a friend. :joy: