WBC games recorded

I need some help to get the World Baseball Classic warm-up games recorded. Especially any games Cuba is playing.
There is a game being broadcast today, February 19th at 2pm.
I recently moved and my computers and TV are not set up to be able to record anything.
You can PM me if you can help.
I will make it worth your effort.

Thanks.

hi muffin, I don’t have the means to help record the games, but I can provide an updated broadcast scheduling for VL Sports (channel 72 for most). From this schedule, today’s game between Cuba and Australia will not be broadcasted until 6:30 tonight. So maybe you have some time to setup your computer.

Date(Day)Guest vs Home (Stadium Game-time;Broadcast time)

2/19(Tue)Cuba vs Australia (Taichung 1400;Broadcast 1830)
2/20(Wed)Australia vs Universities Allstar (Taichung 1400;Broadcast 1830)
2/21(Thu)NC Dinos vs Cuba (Douliu 1400;Broadcast830)
2/22(Fri)NC Dinos vs Lamigo Monkeys (Kaohsiung Chengching Lake 1830 LIVE)
2/23(Sat)Netherlands vs Universities Allstar (Taichung1400 LIVE)
2/24(Sun)Cuba vs Netherlands (Taichung1400 LIVE)
2/25(Mon)NC Dinos vs 7-11 Lions (Tainan1830 LIVE)
2/26(Tue)NC Dinos vs 7-11 Lions (Tainan 1830 LIVE)
2/27(Wed)NC Dinos vs Taiwan(Kaohsiung Chengching Lake1830 LIVE)
2/28(Thu)NC Dinos vs Taiwan (Kaohsiung Chengching Lake1800 LIVE)

I’m assuming tickets should be available for these warm-up games and cheaper than the WBC games (999NT). Particularly the Cuba vs Netherlands game. The Netherlands (due to Curacao) have some really good SS prospects that I would like to see. Bogaerts, Schoop, Simmons and Profar (not coming I don’t think).

Will the regular WBC be carried by ELTA? ASN? somewhere else on MOD?

[quote=“Abacus”]I’m assuming tickets should be available for these warm-up games and cheaper than the WBC games (999NT). Particularly the Cuba vs Netherlands game. The Netherlands (due to Curacao) have some really good SS prospects that I would like to see. Bogaerts, Schoop, Simmons and Profar (not coming I don’t think).

Will the regular WBC be carried by ELTA? ASN? somewhere else on MOD?[/quote]

International games broadcasted by VL tends to be broadcasted by ELTA as well. But it looks like PTS (公視) and the HD channel of PTS will broadcast this year’s WBC games.

Netherlands will be great, but the infield seems to be packed with SS… They could use more experienced catchers as well.

by the way, from the looks of yesterday’s Australia vs Cuba, I think Australia is a very tough team to beat as usual. From the looks of it, Australia has a more complete team.

This is a bit off topic, but I saw this piece on some Taiwanese players that someone might find interesting.

fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph … se-taipei/

It comes from fangraphs, so it looks at things from a sabermetric POV.

[quote=“zender”]This is a bit off topic, but I saw this piece on some Taiwanese players that someone might find interesting.

fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph … se-taipei/

It comes from fangraphs, so it looks at things from a sabermetric POV.[/quote]

Ok, I like this Bradley Woodrum guy already, he used Ngayaw Ake’ instead of Lin Chih-Sheng.

As a long time La new and Lamigo fan, it is a pretty cute article. But I remember back in 2004 Athens Olympics, Clay Davenport at Baseball Prospectus used EQA as a tool to evaluate what level would the Taiwan national team be in the US. But EQA is a rarely used stat.

Found that article:
baseballprospectus.com/artic … cleid=3394

EQA sets the average at 0.260, the 2004 Olympics teams ended up with:
Bat Pitch Average
Japan .315 .328 .322
Cuba .280 .325 .304
Australia .270 .278 .274
Canada .253 .280 .267
Taiwan .241 .282 .261
Greece .235 .222 .229
Netherlands .237 .209 .224
Italy .208 .204 .206

By doing some math normalization tricks, Clay said if teams from different levels of the US participated in the 2004 Olympics, their EQA would be:
MLB .318
AAA .289
AA .271
High-A .271
Low-A .232
Short-season .212
Rookie League .201

So Taiwan’s hitting was about A level and pitching was close to AAA (that year Taiwan heavily relied on Wang and Tsao, who were AAA players which got in the show not long after).

Too bad no one is playing with stats like this. For international competitions we probably need stats like this.

Those numbers seem a little inflated for the foreign countries. Of course that is a national all star team compared to an entire league in the MLB/MiLB. The stats that I’ve seen in the past showed that NBL as a whole was AA/AAA levelwhile the Cuban league was close to AA. The CPBL would probably be lucky to be Low A ball. This seems to be consistent with the amount of success that foreign players have in the majors. Typically only all stars or potential all stars have any kind of success. Most are lucky to get a starting position.

It will be interesting to see how the Taiwan bracket plays out. Korea has to be the favorite to win it but they aren’t necessarily a powerhouse. It’s a good league and they have had some success before though. The other 3 teams all have a shot at finishing 2nd and advancing to the 2nd rd. In the past the Aussies have had a lot of fringe MLB’ers/AAA players but I don’t see many of those names now. The Netherlands has some exciting prospects from Curacao but not much after Bernadina/Jones as proven MLB’ers. Taiwan is still the underdog but they do have home field advantage so maybe.

It sounds like tickets are free for the warm up games but they are held at a Taizhong uni instead of the cool baseball stadium. I will probably go on Sunday since Netherlands vs Cuba should be very interesting. I’ll be cheering for the Dutch team because of Bert. He’s pretty awesome.

Pool C and Pool D are stacked with a lot of good teams. That’s just a brutal schedule. DR, Venezuela and PR all in the same bracket. US, CA and Mexico is a step below but that is still a tough bracket.

Australia baseball has really picked up in recent years, the national team is a lot better than some would give credit for. They’ve still got a ways to go to be considered up with the big boys though.

Of course many players won’t go to the WBC, but the players who could play for the US team if they desired/were healthy/their team allowed it is amazing for the US.

Most of this has been taken from an old David Shoenfield article
espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ … -look-like

Outfield: Mike Trout, Andrew McCutchen, Ryan Braun, Matt Kemp, Josh Hamilton, Bryce Harper, Giancarlo Stanton (Leapin’ Lizards!)

Catchers: Buster Posey, Joe Mauer, Matt Wieters or Brian McCann (Holy Smokes!)

First base: Prince Fielder, Eric Hosmer

Second base: Dustin Pedroia, Ben Zobrist, Ian Kinsler

Third base: Evan Longoria, David Wright (Gosh O Blood!)

Shortstop: Troy Tulowitzki, Derek Jeter

Starting pitchers: Justin Verlander, Clayton Kershaw, Matt Cain, Stephen Strasburg, Chris Sale, Cole Hamels, Jered Weaver, Cliff Lee (Jumpin’ Bad Guys!)

Bullpen: Craig Kimbrel, Jonathan Papelbon, Joe Nathan, Jim Johnson

That’s a solid team.

don’t know if Jeter will be healthy enough to play by then, but anyway, look at that roster! why aren’t more fans in the US excited about WBC? I mean, look that that Roster!

Americans don’t care about the WBC because it’s nothing more than a 2nd rate all-star game. If they had found a way for the MLB to take a midseason break (like hockey) around the Olympics is could have gained some popularity but taking place in spring training just doesn’t carry the same appeal.

I’m going to pick the Venezuelans to win it over the Japanese team. The US team disappoints again despite having so much talent.

Teams to beat imo
Japan - 2 time champs
US - most talented roster overall despite the best players (esp pitchers) staying home
DR - thin pitching but some big hitters
VEN - more talented than the DR imo

Other competitors
CN
PR - a step behind the other 2 big carib teams
MX - has some star power with Gallardo and Gonzalez but not much else other than career MiLB/MLBers
KOR - always plays well internationally
CUB - some talk of it being a down year for the Cubans but they are always a big mystery

Just hoping to survive to the 2nd rd
Taiwan - somebody has to place 2nd in a pretty weak pool
Holland - some great IF prospects but they are probably too young
Australia - solid team full of fringe MLB’ers and career MiLB’ers
China
italy - Pat Venditte - ambidextrous pitcher
Brazil - some talk of them being an up and coming baseball country
Spain - cannon fodder up against VN, DR and PR in the first rd

I don’t think the fans would care even if it is during mid season. They and the owners would only get angrier if their players get hurt. Perhaps the owners would care more if they saw monetary benefits to these games. The real question is how do the FIFA, NBA, NHL and other professional leagues do this so that people are excited about these games. It kind of sucks that MLB controls these games, and the final games never leaves the US, and yet there are more attendance to the World Cup Soccer games back in 1994.

[quote=“Abacus”]
Teams to beat imo
Japan - 2 time champs

KOR - always plays well internationally
CUB - some talk of it being a down year for the Cubans but they are always a big mystery[/quote]

Japan and Korea for the last two WBC has brought their A team. This time around, not so much. Yes they will be difficult to beat, but I don’t think they come close to their 2009 self…

The benefit of being in Taiwan this WBC is we do get to see some of the games right here. Including the warm up games. From what I’ve seen from Cuba, I think by the time games starts they will still be a better team than Japan and Korea this time around.

I want Taiwan to win, but I will not be surprised if they don’t win against Netherlands or Australia. The Australian team defeated Japan twice before, even against teams similar in strength to this years’ team Japan. The most memorable one was in the 2004 Athens’ Olympics, where Japan had a team filled with NPB A platers and lost to Australia 1:0. Australia went on to win silver, losing to the Cuban team.

Brazil has a lot of Japanese Brazilian talents. They seemed formidable (minus some pretty ridiculous errors) against Panama in the qualifier.

I think just the fact that we are seeing teams like Spain and Brazil getting competitive at this level is already worth having the WBC.

FIFA has the Olympics and the US fans don’t really care about the World Cup. The best players all go.
NBA has the Olympics in the offseason and most of the best players go (not hard to get 6-8 AS’s).
NHL has the Olympics in place of the AS game with the best players.
MLB is not in the Olympics and the WBC does not have any history behind it (unlike World Cup) and it’s held during spring training w/o most of the biggest stars. W/o the best players it’s just an exhibition.

I think Australia will get 2nd in Taiwan’s bracket but I think Taiwan can beat Netherlands although I’m pulling for Netherlands.

Here’s an interesting article with quotes from Korea’s former manager. He’s pretty dismissive of Cuba and Taiwan while not even acknowledging that Australia is a tough team. english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culture … 1315F.HTML

Where did you read that japan isn’t sending their A team? They don’t have their MLB stars (Darvish and Ichiro) but I thought they still had their NPB stars (including the next big pitcher out of Japan).

Actually that’s just what Team Korea does… It’s not the first time I’ve heard them trash talk about all other teams, then seriously scout them out as if they are team Japan.

By the way, back to OP, ELTA is going to show the games.

Cuba did not look good today against Netherlands. They have talked up this Pena guy some but he did not look like an MLB’er. Gourriel looked good though.

Andruw Jones looked awful. He might have been the worst player on Netherlands. they were missing several players though. Bogaerts, simmons and Schooop were guys I wanted to see but they arrive tomorrow.

[quote=“Abacus”]Cuba did not look good today against Netherlands. They have talked up this Pena guy some but he did not look like an MLB’er. Gourriel looked good though.

Andruw Jones looked awful. He might have been the worst player on Netherlands. they were missing several players though. Bogaerts, simmons and Schooop were guys I wanted to see but they arrive tomorrow.[/quote]

Team Taiwan is looking pretty terrible for the past 3 warm ups as well.

Australia and Netherlands are on fire. Cuba is on and off.

Does anyone know why 陳金鋒. Wasn’t chosen to play? It seems like other than Ake, we have no power. Sad.

Chen Chin-feng wasn’t chosen because he was recovering from a back injury. He was in the 52 men roster.

I think power is never the issue with the Taiwan team. Usually it’s the ability to hit against lefty pitchers with 148+ kph fastball that seems to trouble our batters.