WCIF: 10G LAN switch for reasonable price? (Update: China edition!)

I need exactly this model Netgear xs508m for work. Any idea if there are shops around Guanghua that stock such not-exactly-consumer-grade stuff like 10G LAN switches? Or suggestions where to find this in Taiwan online cheaper than 18K? @marco maybe knows?

Note: I need it in Taiwan next week after the long weekend, so shipping from abroad wouldn’t seem useful. Also I need to use the company Tongbian number for tax, so that seems to preclude foreign (online) shops.

While I know that hardware can be more expensive in Taiwan, I’m surprised that it seems so much more expensive than in Europe: In Europe it is under 400EUR / 12.5K NTD from many reputable online shops. The cheapest I found online in TW is NTD 18K from a very suspicious looking seller on Shopee (no reviews, only this one item for sale). All other offers seem to be over 20K:

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DRAFB7-A9008MDHX
https://shopee.tw/search?keyword=xs508m

Can I ask why specifically this model?

1 Like

It’s $465 on Amazon with free international shipping.

1 Like

Sure: I need it urgently to duplicate a customer issue with that exact type.

Makes sense.

I might have one at work. Do you only need it temporarily?

1 Like

Thanks for considering to help out, but full disclosure: the testing (ESD) that needs to be done is potentially damaging… so I guess buying is better than borrowing.

Ah shit. Yeah, work might not appreciate it resting in pieces.

1 Like

2 to 4 business day shipping is another 50 on Amazon. Too slow?

1 Like

Yep from abroad it seems cheap enough, but would take a week or two I guess. I would prefer to have it next week already. And it’s for the company, so need to use the Tongbian tax number - probably not possible abroad.

1 Like

If they’re willing to pay all of the costs incurred, I could probably just sell it to them after import and they can have their Tax Code.

But first. I gotta make a new topic to whinge because finding the sites has ran into a problem for me.

1 Like

That is almost good enough I guess, might be only slightly later than expected. I’ll look into this if I really can’t find it in Guanghua or online. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Thanks, but as far as I understand that Tongbian thing helps to not pay certain tax…

Yeah. I issue Fapiaos

1 Like

It was Amazon Global UK Store. It’s also on Amazon Japan for slightly more, but it’s almost 18,000nt after shipping and duties.

1 Like

I very appreciate you suggesting this idea and help, but was just wondering if it makes sense overall.

Probably I am not too familiar with the whole fapiao/tongbian thing… when importing something from abroad for example, one would likely need to pay taxes on import. So I guess the total cost would be a bit higher than the price at the online shop + shipping.

On the other hand, when buying in Taiwan, I guess the sales tax / VAT / whatever gets refunded if you buy something for your company using Tongbian. So in the end the total cost is a bit lower than the price at the shop.

So, since having it earlier is even more important than getting it cheaper, I’ll probably drop by guanghua now and see if there are any shops/areas that sell such stuff. If no luck, then let’s look into your idea - thanks a lot, and I guess you have a better feeling and understanding what makes sense ^^

If you pay cash they might give you a decent discount. Don’t be afraid to haggle.

1 Like

Hmpf, noone in the main guanghua building has this stuff, one shop offered to order or 22K - exactly the same price as I can get it home delivered directly from Netgear.

Checking the shops in the streets around guanghua then… Edit: also nothing. Seems like simply people don’t buy professional switches in the guanghua area.

Next step: check with my company how they want to buy it…

Update: We ended up buying at “full price” from PCHome behause of 24h shipping, since it was announced we need the hardware quickly.

Also other ways (Friends who work at Guanghua, official IT department hardware supplier, …) didn’t find any significantly cheaper sources.

Lesson learned: Such hardware being almost double the cost here compared to for example Germany seems realistic. Unexpected, but noted :slight_smile:

1 Like

It depends on the item. You were looking for something very specific which makes it significantly harder. If you were looking for your own use, I’d probably recommend something else as there are cheaper options to get the job done.

Yes, some hardware is more expensive for a variety of reasons. Some hardware requires Taiwan-specific things to be added in like keyboards or decoding standards for the machine to be compatible with local standards.

1 Like

Dear fellow Forumosans, please excuse me for digging this silly topic out again.

Same situation (need this exact netgear product xs508m), but this time in… China (eg. the receiver is in the PRC). Does anyone have a good idea for online shops in China where I could just buy this with credit card and then get it shipped locally? Worst case HK, not China?

I tried looking on the Netgear China homepage, but all “where to buy” websites linked there seem to be not online shops, but just company websites. Alibaba doesn’t have this thingy seemingly, Taobao seems to have it.

Any better suggestions?