WCIF a Filipino (Tagalog)-English dictionary?

Hi all, I know there’s probably a very obvious answer to this, but I walked around Taipei Main Station for a very long time yesterday, and only seemed to be able to find Indonesian shops.

So can anyone tell me where I can find a Filipino-English dictionary?

Thanks.

Do you want a straight dictionary word-for-word translation or a phrasebook? I use the Lonely Planet phrasebook I picked up at Page One. Eslite also has it. I’m not sure if the Eslite at TPE Main carries it. The Rough Guide series also publishes one. It’s really a coin toss on which is better. I have not seen a straight-up English-to-Filipino dictionary in town but they’re all over the place in Manila. If you’re up near the “Little Manila” area of Zhongshan N. Road, you might be able to find it at Caves or in one of the Pinoy shops.

Actually, it’s not for me. It’s for a Filipino lady wanting to improve her English (her English is already pretty good, btw).

So yeah, it has to be a straight up Filipino-English dictionary.

Zhongshan N Rd is where I was yesterday, but as I said, I could only find Indonesian places. Can you pinpoint where exactly Little Manila is?

[quote=“irishstu”]

Actually, it’s not for me. It’s for a Filipino lady wanting to improve her English (her English is already pretty good, btw).

So yeah, it has to be a straight up Filipino-English dictionary.

Zhongshan N Rd is where I was yesterday, but as I said, I could only find Indonesian places. Can you pinpoint where exactly Little Manila is?[/quote]

For the record, as your friend has probably told you, most Filipinos speak good to excellent English since their education system is bilingual. Ms. super_lucky is Filipina and speaks and writes better than most American college kids. Anyway…

Little Manila is the area around St. Christopher’s Catholic Church (51 Zhongshan N. Rd., Sec. 3, cross-street DeHui St.) and can pretty much be defined by the following streets: Zhongshan to the east, Linsen to the west, DeHui to the north and Minquan to the south. Within all those little alleys you will find Pinoy bars, LBC (the shipping company) and a bunch of little shops. It’s tangentially part of the Combat Zone. Now, there’s no guarantee she’ll find the dictionary up there, but she will meet a large contingent of Pinoys, especially on Sunday.

I called Page One at Taipei 101 and they don’t have one but they will order it. Let me know if that’s necessary. No prob on this end since I’m on a first-name basis over there and in their remarkably efficient phone recognition system.

the best place for “other” language dictionaries is Lai Lai, 4F, No. 271, Roosevelt Rd. sec 3.

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

Have you considered getting a Tagalog-English dictionary instead? :wink:

:laughing:

most filipinos don’t need a tagalog-english dictionary.

[quote=“irishstu”]Hi all, I know there’s probably a very obvious answer to this, but I walked around Taipei Main Station for a very long time yesterday, and only seemed to be able to find Indonesian shops.

So can anyone tell me where I can find a Filipino-English dictionary?

Thanks.[/quote]

Well you can’t find something that does not exist. Which language do you want a dictionary for? Multiply languages are spoken in the Philippines.

Does she want a dictionary in Illocano, Tagalog, Waray, Bikol, or another language?

OK, it was Tagalog-English I was after. My apologies for not being clearer. However, those that said “Filipino” was a language that didn’t exist may want to have a look at this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_language

In the end, we got her a good English-only dictionary and she was very happy.

I don’t want to start a new similar thread

So I post here. WCIF an online Tagalog to English translator ?

I have found nothing good on internet so far. Google translator is horrible, hahaha!

I had a Filipino-English /English-Filipino and Filipino replaced the name Tagalog a long time ago but the name Tagalog remains in popular use among Filipinos

And what if the person speaks ‘Visaya’?

Google translate

Sorry, didn’t see that, but yes Google translate is terrible for any language.

Just get a live translator via Skype or something.

Bisaya is another language with the 2nd largest group of speakers.
There’s a Bible translation in Bisaya.
Google seatch offers cebuano as an option. Bisaya is cebuano.