WCIF a Progressive English Church Service in Taipei

By “progressive,” I mean gay-friendly, woman-friendly, and science-friendly!

Any recommendations would be appreciated! :slight_smile:

[quote=“soulofafl0wer”]By “progressive,” I mean gay-friendly, woman-friendly, and science-friendly!

Any recommendations would be appreciated! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Biblical literalism is the norm in Asia, in my experience. It has also gone mainstream in the US which is a shame. It’s a shame for at least the reason that new atheists like Bill Maher equate this movement (a good way to characterize Biblical literalism in my opinion) to the Christian religion which it absolutely is not! To provide a couple of random examples, George Lemaitre, a Belgian priest and physics professor, proposed what later became known as the Big Bang theory (he called it the hypothesis of the primeval atom), and people like Father Barron go to great lengths to explain how many parts of the Bible (like many of stories found in Genesis) should be interpreted symbolically.

I hate to say it, but it might not be the easiest thing to find liberal Christians in this part of the world. (But please anyone let me know if I’m wrong.)

Yes, that was my impression (I spent two years in Taipei previous to this). I tried many an English service, only to be turned off and/or discouraged by prosperity gospel megachurches and medieval attitudes about gay people, women, and non-Christians.

Does anyone know anything about Taipei International Church? Or Church of the Good Shepherd?

[quote=“soulofafl0wer”]Yes, that was my impression (I spent two years in Taipei previous to this). I tried many an English service, only to be turned off and/or discouraged by prosperity gospel megachurches and medieval attitudes about gay people, women, and non-Christians.

Does anyone know anything about Taipei International Church? Or Church of the Good Shepherd?[/quote]

Well, let me and the others know if you find what you’re looking for. I’m now going to a church right by our house. It’s all in Mandarin and I spend most of the time taking care of our one-year-old while my wife gets a break and listens to the sermon. I’m completely happy with the situation because I’m doing some volunteer work with the church that I feel is making an impact. I don’t believe in saying more even though I’m anonymous here- Mathew 6:1-4 “not letting the left hand know what the right hand is doing” and all that. Good luck with finding a good fit for you!

[quote=“Black Beauty”]Look at it this way - it’s actually more helpful and beneficial to your cause if you actually attend Churches that are anti-gay, anti-women and anti-science (I must say though, any form of Christianity, whether conservative or progressive, is in my opinion anti-intelligence).

By being the progressive voice in a conservative congregation, you can actually influence their backwards views and help them see why it’s ridiculous to be homophobic, for example, once you get to know them and make new friends. Like Jesus says - love your enemies, even pagans love their own friends and family.

If you always stick within your own group, you’re never going to grow out of your comfort zone.

In fact, forget attending Church - challenge yourself and start attending a Buddhist temple or whatever it is they go to. If you go to a Church who’s going to ‘save’ all those monks that don’t know Christ?[/quote]

I agree largely with Black Beauty’s opinion with the added proviso that you can form your own personal religion, without the need to be part of, or to form another congregation.

Congregations: who needs them? Do you need to party for Jesus? Are you a lonely Buddhist?

Do you need to bother other people about your religious persuasions, or do you have a need to be bothered by other people’s religious doctrines?

I think this one could do : goodshepherd.com.tw/english/

(Anglican/Episcopal chruch, both Chinese and English services, located in Shilin district)

Some people are so progressive that their brains fall out.

And by progressive, I mean open minded. :slight_smile:

If it’s open on the top, your brain will stay where it is, except if you look at your feet. :slight_smile: