WCIF a water filter and how to use?

Thanks all! I went to the HOLA near Qizhang MRT. Lo and behold there was also a Carrefour in the same big mall. They both had water filters for about the same price - cheapest around 900 TWD.

Is Brita pitcher the standard and easy to find now? I’m looking for good ones with easy to find replacement filters.

Idk about other forumosa posters, but I don’t trust the tap water here at all. The water is riddled with heavy metals that will damage your kidneys/body. I personally would get some type of RO filter from B&Q or PCHome or something.

We already have enough to worry about with the horrible AQI, you might as well get a good proper water filter and be on the safe side.

If anyone is still listening, Ruten is your friend

Rule of thumb is the two Bs, man, Brita and Boil

1 Like

Is there a Ruten around the corner where I can walk in and buy? I don’t care the business I just want to walk in and buy.

Kind of like Starbucks. I don’t want to order Starbucks online and then wait for it to be delivered to my local 7-Eleven. I just want to walk in and buy

Sorry, Gramps, it’s one of them newfangled Iskranet deals…

So that’s a no. That you don’t get a joke.

You can walk into Costco around the corner to buy it. They also sell coffee, either ground & bagged or latted & iced.

Picked this up at Carrefour $NT1099 includes very detailed instructions.

20181109_145123

20181109_145531

How does the water taste?

Even after Brita-ing, you should still boil.

I usually buy water but given the current state of health and thinking of convenience, I have considered a plug in machine. Cheapest and easier to install is a 3M 6000 NTD more or less. Next one is 15k. Filters are about 3 to 6k depending, and must be changed once a year at least.

That seems to be the consensus.

Brita and boiling does not remove the toxic heavy metals that are in the water here. Your need to get some type of RO filter and then boil it if you REALLY feel the need.
:skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

The taste is amazing and much better than bottled waters. Like sweet water flowing from a beautiful mountain spring crashing over a waterfall into my Brita container. Usually drink French or Italian mineral water or bottled waters available around Taiwan.

More environmentally friendly than bottled water. Not throwing away 1 or 2 or more plastic bottles daily.

Cost comparison:

• One year of Brita new container and filters, NT$4000 (new container NT$1000, filters one year NT$3000).
  • One year of at least one to two liters of bottled water per day at NT$60/bottle, NT$18,000-NT$44,000

Boil it first, then pour into Brita.

TBH, aside from the environment, getting water bottles weekly is a PITB. That is the main reason I am considering getting a fixed machine. Like in the old country, open the spout and drink. No hassle.

I bought a water distiller from pchome. Probably the safest option in Taiwan.

Try the other way round, I think it works better.
Source replacement filters on Ruten, they’re the cheapest I’ve found anywhere

Loving this Brita filter over the first month. Helped the environment by not throwing away at least 60-80 plastic bottles. Saved at least NT$3000 on water. And clean water always available.

Apparently, I’ve been boiling drinking water wrong.

Saw my friend boiling water with the lid off and I said you know it’s commonly known that water will boil faster with the lid on.

Friend said yes but leaving the lid off let’s the chlorine evaporate. Well it evaporates either way but lid off boiling in the future.

Brita filter supposedly also removes the chlorine.

Another exciting day in Taiwan.