WCIF an iPhone app programmer?

Need an app to write data from CAN bus to iPhone (display only).

Do you have a Canbus <-> iPhone adapter ? if not it is a lot more than just an app. The HW would be the toughest part, as well as support for different vehicles as each manufacturer uses a different protocol.

Yes, we have a hardware adapter to develop with, and the system can be proprietary to one interface system. We can get the signals to the iPhone. What I need is someone to develop an app to display the data.

How much are you paying?

If you’re interested please send a PM.

Yes, we have a hardware adapter to develop with, and the system can be proprietary to one interface system. We can get the signals to the iPhone. What I need is someone to develop an app to display the data.[/quote]

This is an interesting topic, not that I am a iphone developer. :smiley:

Assume you are planning to use an off the shelf OBD-II to Wi-fi or BT adapter? Then pull data from the OBD as it is somewhat more std data or planning to go right on the drivetrain/infotainment bus ? and for what vehicle?

You may get what you want out of the box with MaxQData unless you are doing something marque/model specific.

maxqdata.com/iPhone.htm

Disclosure: Founder of this company is a former work colleague. I used his stuff as does a lot of racers as an alternative/more flexible platform to DL1.

[quote=“nivek”]
Assume you are planning to use an off the shelf OBD-II to Wi-fi or BT adapter? Then pull data from the OBD as it is somewhat more std data or planning to go right on the drivetrain/infotainment bus ? and for what vehicle?[/quote]
Thanks for the interest, but the system we are working with is not OBD-II compliant. It’s an industrial project, nothing to do with my own gearhead hobbies. :wink:

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“nivek”]
Assume you are planning to use an off the shelf OBD-II to Wi-fi or BT adapter? Then pull data from the OBD as it is somewhat more std data or planning to go right on the drivetrain/infotainment bus ? and for what vehicle?[/quote]
Thanks for the interest, but the system we are working with is not OBD-II compliant. It’s an industrial project, nothing to do with my own gearhead hobbies. :wink:[/quote]

Ohh :cry:

Anyway, a couple places I have used myself previously include:

www.104case.com.tw (local)
www.elance.com (the original, but sometimes more costly)
www.getacoder.com (i’ve not used, but heard of numerous times)

Even if you don’t use any of these it costs nothing to post a job… and it should give you some ballpark figures, as well as potentially help you understand some of the questions you might get asked or should ask.

In Shanghai, talk to Jerry Lin (mobilenow.nl) their website under construction, but they have released 4 apps already this year.

Also, talk to William Wei (mobileappsexpress.com/). William is based primarily in Beijing these days.

Both guys develop for both iPhone and Android and I know them personally.

Cheers,
g.

[quote=“nivek”]
104case.com.tw (local)
elance.com (the original, but sometimes more costly)
getacoder.com (i’ve not used, but heard of numerous times)

Even if you don’t use any of these it costs nothing to post a job… and it should give you some ballpark figures, as well as potentially help you understand some of the questions you might get asked or should ask.[/quote]

what are 104case’s polices on RFQs? this is obv a concern with any outsourcing re: getting accurate quote versus exposing too much of what you’re building to many, just wanted to see ppls experiences with this here in asia.

[quote=“mabagal”][quote=“nivek”]
104case.com.tw (local)
elance.com (the original, but sometimes more costly)
getacoder.com (i’ve not used, but heard of numerous times)

Even if you don’t use any of these it costs nothing to post a job… and it should give you some ballpark figures, as well as potentially help you understand some of the questions you might get asked or should ask.[/quote]

what are 104case’s polices on RFQs? this is obv a concern with any outsourcing re: getting accurate quote versus exposing too much of what you’re building to many, just wanted to see ppls experiences with this here in asia.[/quote]

I am not sure what their policy is (don’t read Chinese) but I can try to get the better half to translate. That said, I think 104case is not well policed, as i understand they don’t even do the escrow thing like most other online services, but rather make their money by requiring payment for accessing contact details of the other party. This seems to me to imply that they do not or don’t want to get in the middle, and really don’t care.

Therefore, in my case I have tried to build up some ‘go-to’ engineers for certain items. I usually start off by trying to give them a small personal or simple project. Then over time I can ascertain there skill level as well as trust.

Of course will always sign a non-disclosure agreement, but well I would not put a lot of trust in that…

Again, by spreading around a project in parts (if at all possible) you can add some degree of protection… and you can then only pass certain info to certain parties.

I still find it humorous that I can get quotes from USD150~2,000 for the same simple software project… and sometimes think I am in the wrong business :wink:

WRT freelancers, you honestly get what you pay for. For one project I quoted 1200$USD and I was bid against by somebody offering to do the same job for 150$.

For 150$ they would have got a college kid who is missing lots of enterprise experience, or a codemonkey who is just cranking out garbage for quick buck. For 1200$ they get an Enterprise developer who follows engineering process and adequately tests their module before submitting it. In this case they hired the kid, he totally fucked up, then they called me to do cleanup. I raised price to 1350$ and gave them a solid, bug free piece of software.

nivek, thanks. was worried about that.

vetting seems a pretty straight forward single question: “what have you published into the app store / marketplace.” reference checking easy enough in the case their client did the actual publishing. if this way seems unfair to new developers or developers trying to get started, that’s the point.

[quote=“djlowballer”]WRT freelancers, you honestly get what you pay for. For one project I quoted 1200$USD and I was bid against by somebody offering to do the same job for 150$.

For 150$ they would have got a college kid who is missing lots of enterprise experience, or a codemonkey who is just cranking out garbage for quick buck. For 1200$ they get an Enterprise developer who follows engineering process and adequately tests their module before submitting it. In this case they hired the kid, he totally fucked up, then they called me to do cleanup. I raised price to 1350$ and gave them a solid, bug free piece of software.[/quote]

Yes and no… for instance, I recently had a ‘calculator’ project for WinCE, sort of like the windows calc in simple mode… with a GUI on the front… all graphics provided. One quote was USD2K (NTD60K), I went to my goto guy, and done for USD200… 20hrs @ USD10. He is a programmer at one of the local phone companies… good skill and does jobs for additional income. He has also done some GPS related projects.

Another I got a complex javascript page done with a lot of data parsing, google mapping and database lookup’s, ended up having a russian uni graduate working on it because he likes numbers… again $12 per hr. he ended up doing an extra 20+hrs on the project which he did not charge for as the extra module he wrote he could re-use… i gave him a healthy bonus thou…

I suspect you are more of the $50/hr region… which is good work if you can get it. I get much more involved in managing my projects, and know exactly what i want and don’t want, so in a way the project management portion is removed… I am not complaining just saying…

Now I just need to find a competitive Android programmer :wink:

I agree there, but I work different sorts of freelance. I don’t take simple javascript jobs and if you had asked me for a calculator I would have just given you one (maybe 1 hour work if all GUI is provided). I wont turn down a job because of pay, rather I have my own area of expertise I like to work in. The people who hire me need somebody who is qualified to work on their project.

Project management though is discrete from what I do. When I get a project I get the requirements from customer, study, come up with a draft of a design. Run it by customer. Code out the skeleton, code features. Then I call some trusted colleagues and we hold a code inspection to analyze what I wrote and find any landmines, style errors, or potential bugs. I then do a rework of the code based off results. Then one of my colleagues verifies my results. I then do unit testing to make sure there are not any show stoppers, then I return the project to the customer. They are then responsible for QA testing and such. If contracted I will help with the bug fixes, but usually my code is well documented and solid enough that they can just have an in-house fix. It costs a bit more sure, but I can do it pretty quickly and the end result is very high quality.

As for Android, drop me a PM if you are serious.