WCIF Contact Cement? Is it 接触水泥 in Chinese?

I want to glue pieces of EVA foam together and I heard that contact cement works well for this. My Google Translation app translates this as 接触水泥 – does that sound right?

I’m heading over to Taiyuan St behind Taipei Main Station to check with the hardware stores there.

This thread sounded promising but I am specifically looking to connect together EVA foam

Is this for your Captain Barbell cosplay getup???

I’m not sure what the Chinese is either, and I haven’t been able to find it at local hardware stores. B&Q have big cans of it, though.

I don’t know where you can find it, but it may be 接觸膠合劑 in Chinese.

http://terms.naer.edu.tw/detail/413211/

1 Like

Model stores have those. MEK will weld styrene based plastic as well.

1 Like

I will neither confirm nor deny this. And it’s pronounced Barbelle

1 Like

IMG_20191014_122303

Is EVA made of PP or PE or Silicone Plastic?

Maybe I should look for MEK instead? Is it safer or easier to handle than contact cement?

:+1::+1:

Mek is a liquid, contact cement is basically mek with additives to make it thicker.

1 Like

also often called 萬能膠

1 Like

I looked up MEK and Methyl Chloride (from the Acrylic Cement thread) and this discussion sounds kinda scary:

MEK and methylene chloride are not the same thing.

For epoxy removal, methylene chloride is typically a last resort solvent. It is usually found as the active ingredient in water washable paint remover. Because it will soften epoxy residue, it will also attack the grout in the joints.

Paint stripper are usually very thick and designed to stay wet to keep the solvent from evaporating too quickly. It is much less volatile than MEK.

Neither is exactly safe, more of a degree of which is less hazardous. MEK is not the one to be using.

Acetone is just about the hottest solvent you’re going to find. MEK is still some volatile stuff, but it wont evaporate quite as fast.

Methylene Chloride isnt a widely used stripper anymore because California says it’ll kill ya. I still keep a can in the trailer because I dont have the patience for those peel-away types. Mom and Pop hardware stores still seem to stock it… Rock Miracle is the brand I keep on hand.

So I think I should look for other ways to glue my EVA foam to each other

Well you can try and use rubber cement which is suitable for gluing rubber based things, but anything that melts plastic and welds them will be far stronger than adhesives.

MEK isn’t that bad and you can buy acrylic solvents which is methylene chloride at chemical stores. They will melt just about any plastics. Acrylic glued this way is stronger than the material itself.

Just don’t eat or inhale the stuff intentionally and you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

I did a quick Google search for Barge Cement Taiwan and came up with this top result

https://www.u-buy.com.tw/en/search/?q=barge+cement

Is this or something comparable available at B&Q?

B&Q in Taiwan is little different than ikea that carries some tools. You can look but it will be massively inflated price wise but you do get a 10% discount if you spend over 3000 there and use a card…

I know they have gorilla glue which might do the trick… but MEK is 70nt a bottle.

Anything wrong with just using the ubiquitous 強力膠 (with really good ventilation)? It’s in all the stationery and hardware stores and is cheap. It goes on like contact cement, applied thinly to two surfaces then pressed together after 10-15 minutes, and is flexible and strong. Stinks to high heaven meanwhile, though.

I’ll consider that for other projects. This one is pretty complicated, and I would be pretty upset if after hours of effort I discovered the stationary store stuff did not holdup as I hoped.

Has anyone bought Barge Cement?