WCIF Fennel seeds in K-Town

I’m hankering some chai tea now that the weather is cool. Cook Box had cardamom pods but no fennel seeds (cloves and cinnamon for me are optional).

Any ideas where there might be fennel seeds in Kaohsiung? An Indian spice store or grocery store would be perfect if such a place exists.

I’m willing to go to Tainan for this, if necessary…

How about online?

https://indianstoretaiwan.com.tw/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=4

2 Likes

i’d rather buy from a real store if possible, but thanks for this backup!

1 Like

Eu pantry (eu deli?) Should have them.

1 Like

they had way overpriced chai kits when was there previously, do you think they’ll have reasonably priced large bags of fennel?

actually, i only went there the once and though everything was overpriced.

Its expensive for sure. But i think they sell small bags of individual spices. Fennel seed is common, should have it. Cant imagine it being more than 100 or 150 at most, depending on quantity.

1 Like

an Indian grocery store seemed too much to ask for

There’s not one in all of Kaohsiung?

Not that I know of, if there is I hope someone can post the location here

Google lists one in Fengshan.

佛聯新食品批發

1 Like

I agree that it’d be more convenient to buy online (Shopee has multiple sellers, for example), but you might also be able to check larger baking supply stores that carry herbs and spices.

i have no way to pay for it, a friend would have to do it for me. so, actually not convenient

besides cookbox, is there one of these in kaohsiung you’d recommend?

You know that you can get items like this delivered to convenience stores and pay in cash, right? It’s really common here. You don’t need a local bank account or debit card or anything.

I don’t know about Kaohsiung, sorry (never been there). If I were you, I’d search for “baking supply store” on Google Maps then look through the photos for shelves of spices. For example:

https://goo.gl/maps/YJnfYajTmHXgE3D46

https://goo.gl/maps/EZTbxYLw2DYGPH56A

I think the larger bottles in the first photo are the same as what I’ve seen in baking supply stores in Taipei, and I’ve bought some glass bottles of the HsinKuang brand in the second photo before as well. I’m not 100% sure they have fennel seeds, but the range is quite broad.

1 Like

thanks, this is helpful

1 Like

Ya sorry, i dont know any indian stores in ktown.

Food supply stores seem more likely than baking for fennel seed here as ts used in a lot of chinese cuisine.

Second 711 delivery. Or COD. Post office does COD for $30 fee. Not all sellers are willing, but probably the easiest and cheapest to just google fennel seed in taiwan and buy online from them.

in addition to currently having no means of electronic payment, i can’t read or write in chinese. buying things online is a last resort for me, and in this case i just tell a colleague what i want and give them the cash (they give me the package when it arrives)

but i prefer to support local businesses and not bother my colleagues when possible

so i went here. not an indian grocery store, but lots of monks around and seems to specialize in vegetarian stuff so they might have some indian imports (none that stood out to me)

the guy i asked pointed me to cumin off the bat (same thing happened at cookbox). i understand cumin is used in chinese cooking but it makes for really shitty tea. the guy at this place said fennel (when i showed him the difference using pictures) is not commonly used here and would be difficult to find. he pointed to EU Pantry as the best place to try, so that’s next on my list.

1 Like

It is a bit uncommon, funny as it’s one of the components of ubiquitous 5 spice powder. I have gotten it locally before, there was a brand with short fat bottles with tan plastic lids, but I’m not sure if it’s around anymore.

interesting, i didn’t know that. i see cloves and cinnamon also in the mix. maybe i should just try using that! cardamom, nutmeg, and ginger are also sometimes ingredients in both the 5-spice and my chai tea :joy:

yeah, i’ve noticed that if the local food has a flavouring besides sugar or salt it is usually the five spice!

1 Like

Why not just use star anise? I know it’s not the same, but the flavor profile is very similar, and you can find it everywhere.

1 Like