WCIF fresh corriander

Another mysterious herb that wasn’t available at the Carrefour or Matsutsei. Any leads appreciated.

Any market, or supermarket should have some. It’s called “xiang cai” here. You probably missed it. In a supermarket it usually comes in a small styrofoam tray wrapped in cellophane and is with the other local herbs like basil. Far cheaper and fresher at a market though.

At the wet markets. I usually get some free basil, coriander or baby chilies thrown in when I buy a bunch of vegetables.

Because coriander rots so quickly, and you only need a few leaves at a time, I find it’s better to grow it. You can buy a bag of seeds for NT$20 from any gardening store. Just put them in a pot on the windowsill, add water, and they’ll germinate in ~1 week. Dead easy. You can start to harvest about 4 weeks later, but they’ll get straggly and tough after about 12 weeks, so plant continuously. You can grow it pretty much throughout the year, but it does best in warm (not very cold or very hot) weather.

i think in Taiwan they label it in English as “cilantro”… but I’ve seen plenty in local market (wellcome, 全聯, etc) as 香菜.

Just a warning, usually after a major flood/typhoon, these things get crazy expensive, so they might be sold out before an expected typhoon.

I use handfuls of the stuff! Can’t have too much coriander.

OP - they have it all the time in my local Wellcome, so possibly at others too.

Indeed :smiley: Even so, I still end up wasting at least half a packet of store-bought coriander (and it ain’t particularly cheap if you get it from a supermarket). Hence the pots. I also grew a load of it outside this year and ended up with more than I knew what to do with…

Depends on whether you mean “coriander” (the seeds) or “cilantro” (the leaves) of the plant Coriandrum sativum.

He said ‘fresh’ so presumably he wants the leaves. Never heard of anyone cooking with the fresh fruits, although I guess you could!

Indeed :smiley: Even so, I still end up wasting at least half a packet of store-bought coriander (and it ain’t particularly cheap if you get it from a supermarket). Hence the pots. I also grew a load of it outside this year and ended up with more than I knew what to do with…[/quote]

Does it grow well here? I always used to struggle with it at home.

Abundantly. I planted a couple of small rows (about half of a very small seed packet) and ended up with loads of the stuff. Best time for planting is winter - I’m told it doesn’t like hot weather. It does like a lot of sun, but not high temperatures.

If germination is a problem, you could try crushing the little round seedpods - they’re actually dried fruits, containing multiple seeds. Give them plenty of water until they germinate, which might take a while (weeks).

Abundantly. I planted a couple of small rows (about half of a very small seed packet) and ended up with loads of the stuff. Best time for planting is winter - I’m told it doesn’t like hot weather. It does like a lot of sun, but not high temperatures.

If germination is a problem, you could try crushing the little round seedpods - they’re actually dried fruits, containing multiple seeds. Give them plenty of water until they germinate, which might take a while (weeks).[/quote]

Thanks for the tips. I might try some on the balcony during the winter.

Cheers guys. Someone picked some up for me at the local market. Not sure how I missed that in the supermarkets.