WCIF Generic GoPro

I want to buy a GoPro, but it’s a bit out of my budget. It there another brand that is a similar product which is good quality and cheaper?

xiaomi makes one, I don’t have one, but I’ve read that it’s pretty good and really cheap mi.com/tw/yicamera/

1 Like

Try SJ Cam.

If you’re in Taipei, there’s an official store in the Guang Hua Digital Market on the 4th floor. The employees are all super nice, you can’t really haggle for the camera itself, but if you buy accessories from them, make sure you haggle. I got a selfie stick from them for 100NT less than they retail.

You can do the research on which model you want to buy. I bought the most generic one that’s not WiFi and shoots in 1080p (on sale for 990NT). It’s not amazing, but it does the job for me. I mostly use it for a dash cam for when I scooter and sometimes to record my rides for cycling.

A lot of people say that the SJ4000 Wifi version (for around 3500-4000NT) is much better than the GoPro with the similar specs.

1 Like

But the SJ4000 and the Gopro Hero 4 Black is like apple and oranges.

I use a SJ4000 for a while and found it awful. Gopro is still the best one.

[quote=“wereldomroep”]But the SJ4000 and the Gopro Hero 4 Black is like apple and oranges.

I use a SJ4000 for a while and found it awful. Gopro is still the best one.[/quote]

When you take a 500 USD sport camera compared to a less than 100 USD sport camera, that tends to be comparing apples to oranges.

I think you’re the one that likes to compare apples to oranges. First Netherlands biking lanes to Taiwan bike paths, now SJ4000 to Gopro. What next?

Your post was also very helpful to the OP because he’s definitely looking for a Gopro. I gotta contact admin and get your post upvoted or something, brb.

SJ CAM 4000 wifi has pretty good reviews on amazon.com. 4.5 / 5.0 from 54 customers. 83% giving 4 or 5 stars. Worth checking out.

I used the sjcam 4000s for river tracing season last year and they were fine. Very comparable to the low level Gopros, but strange to say I know, much better built. River tracing is a little hard on equipment and the idea of taking a 500USD camera into the river is crazy.(although I have already started taking my drone hiking…) I bought three sjcams and just gave them to guests to take their own pictures. Only one lasted the season but I saw three gopros either lost or damaged from the folks on the trips. One person just dropped the gopro from a meter up and the case ‘popped’ open and bricked the camera. Picked it out of the water and nothing was broken! It just didn’t do what it is specifically designed to do. We didn’t have a single sjcam case break even with some crazy throws/falls. If you are looking to do no more than youtube they are more than enough!

[quote=“ranlee”][quote=“wereldomroep”]But the SJ4000 and the Gopro Hero 4 Black is like apple and oranges.

I use a SJ4000 for a while and found it awful. Gopro is still the best one.[/quote]

When you take a 500 USD sport camera compared to a less than 100 USD sport camera, that tends to be comparing apples to oranges.

I think you’re the one that likes to compare apples to oranges. First Netherlands biking lanes to Taiwan bike paths, now SJ4000 to Gopro. What next?

Your post was also very helpful to the OP because he’s definitely looking for a Gopro. I gotta contact admin and get your post upvoted or something, brb.[/quote]

Ok let’s say Toyota to BMW.

The rest of what you said is a bit unclear.

HualienOutdoors, is this video taken with SJ4000 Wifi? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na-2dVGnHRA

It quality and the video editing is awesome! Do your guests edit the video and send it to you or do you guys do that for them?

I’ve really been thinking about upgrading to the SJ4000 Wifi model. I bought mine thinking it had the same specs without WiFi, but it ended up being a very different model.

Carrefour have a gopro clone for like 1400nt, is called something like “moto v1”.

Mobile one did a motorcycle/portable sports cam head to head review.
http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=671&t=4561891
It’s all in Chinese, but you can see their picks at the bottom with different price tiers.

Low to Mid range

2000元 SJ4000
3000元 SJ4000 WIFI Plus > SJ4000
4000元 Grenzel E3-RF >SJ4000 WIFI > SJ4000
5000元 Grenzel U1 > GRENZEL E3-RF > S100-F2 >SJ4000 WIFI > SJ4000

Nope, those are not my guests and I think they are using a gopro. Below is one from the cheapest model we used last year.

youtube.com/watch?v=6YfS7m4DYTM

As you can see it is an already dated look. Every year I buy a bunch of cameras to start the year. This year I think the quality jump will be awesome!

Anyone have recent experiences with sjcam products? My waterproof case started to rust after 3 months and the extra battery I have is bloated and about to blow!

Yeah, they aren’t the greatest. I sold mine after 3 months of use because I realized the video quality and accessories weren’t the best. The waterproof case itself seemed like it would leak water at any moment if I brought it in the water often.

I mean, the brand name is called “SJCAM” where the SJ stands for fake version, which is “山寨/Shānzhài”.

Everyone has mean things to say about GoPro and how overpriced it is, but I’ve been using my Hero 5 Session for up to a year now and I haven’t had any major issues with it. I like how it’s waterproof without a case AND is easy to travel with.

What other options did you considered before going with the gopro? I was initially impressed with the sjcam especially with the all the accessories that it came with. Then I realized I wouldn’t be using 90% of them.

I went to their store the other night and the customer service was just shit.

Which store? The one in Taipei, Guang Hua, 4th floor?

I’ve been there multiple times and their customer service is pretty awesome.

Which model were you using? Just the regular SJCAM 4000?

I considered their top of the line model, SJCAM5000x, which my friend has and hasn’t had any problems with it. However, he rarely uses it. I think it records up to 2K quality and has the Sony anti-shake action cam software in it. However, same accessories as any other SJCAM model.

Yeah sjcam4000.

It was my 2nd time at the guanghua store and both times the service were off.

Weird, I’ve been there 3-4 times and always had good service. Always the lady in charge and tall/dark guy with small glasses and long hair there. Later turned into two young guys, maybe it was the young guys not being very helpful?

Anyways, I bought my GoPro during the department store year end sales, so it’s like buy x000NT and get x00NT and also had some gift certificates in hand to use. So, it was cheap, for Taiwan standards.

Anyone here still using SJCAM products? I bought 2 new batteries for the 4000 model and the batteries have started to bloat after 3-4 charges. I don’t leave them overcharged too. I wonder if this is safe for the product or not.

Are they SJCAM brand or some generic brand batteries?

If they are SJCAM batteries, check the warranty on them or bring it back to the shop in Guang Hua. Also, check if there’s any water damage or leakage on your SJCAM battery door. That could pose an issue.