WCIF inexpensive malt vinegar

I have the mint and the sugar, now I only need some inexpensive malt vinegar or recommended alternative to complete my home made mint sauce.
Any offerings out there?

Just ask Mr Dragonbones or Mr Sandman to donate you a cup of malt vinegar. I’m sure the resident foodies are well-stocked.

I saw some at the RT Mart a week or so ago.

It looked like an Italian companys products were being introduced and the local RT Mart had several of their line items on special introductory sale.
As I remember, this included 2 types of vinegars, a malt and a balsamic. Or masybe there were 2 types of balsamic. I’m not sure.
Anyway, it was RT Mart and it was a ‘New Product Line’ intro sale.

They also had several very nice EV Olive oils…at very good prices. Even an unfiltered choice that is most excellent.

Actually, I’ve never cooked with malt vinegar, jimi. I just don’t cook English stuff or chutneys. But I’m sure I’ll get around to trying some recipes which call for malt vinegar before long. :idunno: Sounds like it might be good for marinades. :ponder:

I’ve only got balsamic, black Chinese, red wine, white wine, fig balsamic, cider and white vinegars on hand.

I don’t see why you couldn’t use a white wine, cider or a balsamic, or a blend of the two, for a mint sauce. But I’ve not actually tried it.

Here are the vinegars on the P&P catalog list, btw:
01 BALSAMICO (W) CAP-DUCA 伯爵陳年酒醋(白) 500ML/BTL
02 BALSAMICO (G) CAP-DUCA 伯爵陳年酒醋(金) 500ML/BTL
03 BALSAMICO TRADITIONAL 12 YEARS 12年紅醋 100ML/BTL
04 BALSAMICO TRADITIONAL 25 YEARS 25年紅醋 100ML/BTL
05 BALSAMICO, AGED 10 YEARS 10年陳年醋 250ML/BTL
06 BALSAMICO WHITE GRAPE 凱撒白葡萄酒醋 500ML/BTL
07 BALSAMICO (GOLD)-ALIS 藍盾陳年酒醋(金) 500ML/BTL
08 CASA RINALDI MOSTO SACRO 精裝陳年醋 250ML/BTL
09 CREAM DE BALSAMICO 醋膏(黑) 250ML/BTL
10 CREAM DE BALSAMICO 醋膏(黑) 500ML/BTL
11 CREAM DE BALSAMICO 醋膏(白) 500ML/BTL
12 BALSAMICO WITH FIG 無花果醋 200ML/BTL
13 BALSAMICO WITH HONEY 蜂蜜醋 200ML/BTL
14 BALSAMICO WITH MIXED FRUIT 綜合水果醋 200ML/BTL
15 ACETO BALSAMICO DI MODENA 金裝陳年醋 250ML/BTL
16 ACETO DI VINO RED-ALIS 義大利紅葡萄酒醋 500ML/BTL
17 ACETO DI VINO WHITE-ALIS 義大利白葡萄酒醋 500ML/BTL
18 CHAMPAGNE VINEGAR, FRANCE 香檳醋 500ML/BTL
19 APPLE VINEGAR, FRANCE 蘋果醋 500ML/BTL
20 RASPBERRY VINEGAR, FRANCE 覆盆子醋 500ML/BTL
21 FIG VINEGAR, FRANCE 無花果醋 500ML/BTL
22 SHERRY VINEGAR, FRANCE 雪莉醋 500ML/BTL
23 CHERRY VINEGAR, FRANCE 櫻桃醋 500ML/BTL
24 TRUFFLE VINEGAR, FRANCE 松露醋 500ML/BTL
25 VINCOTTO RASPBERRY VINEGAR,ITALY 覆盆子醋 250ML/BTL
26 VINCOTTO FIG VINEGAR, ITALY 無花果醋 250ML/BTL

Jason’s has white wine and red wine vinegars, at least. I haven’t looked for malt. If I happen through tomorrow I’ll take a peek.

Oo! Goodie!
Is there an RT mart near Shilin? I usually use Jalufoo.

Dragonbones, I think Jasons had malt vinegar at one time, but I also believe it was quite expensive. A cheaper alternative to Jasons would be what I’m hoping for.
I did bump into a mint sauce recipe with white wine vinegar, so I could perhaps try that if I’m stuck.

What is a P&P catalogue BTW, hoping not to sound too ignorant. :s

Oh, sorry – I discovered a food importer near Shida recently, and have been sharing info with the Foodies on what they carry, in the various relevant threads. You can PM me your email address and I’ll send you an electronic copy of their catalog. It’s best to look at the catalog and make a list of what you want before going into the “store”, then ask for what you want, because the place is sorta like a small, disorganized warehouse in a converted 1st-floor residence. But there are some nice pickin’s.

I swung through Jason’s for ya to check the prices:

Sarson’s malt vinegar, $69 for 284ml, or $110 for 300 ml
Heritage Distilled malt vinegar $89 for 586 ml