WCIF non-TW-style Boston cream pie?

Does anyone know of a place in the Taipei area (or one which ships) that makes this type of cake, with a pudding/custard filling and chocolate glaze? The TW version is fluffier and filled with whipped cream.

My first thought was Heritage but I don’t know where else to check.

1 Like

I’m from NY, and I don’t know what any style of Boston cream pie is supposed to be like. It may be time to relax your standards a wee bit.

That said, if you can get to know the proprietors who’ve approximated the substrate most accurately, you could then source them the custard or pudding of your choice with an offer to order a whole custom batch. You’ll have to minimize their risk.

I lived in Boston for 10 years and never had a Boston cream pie. Now I’m curious about it and it’s too late. All I see are Taro cream pies here.

3 Likes

I dont know if HONG YEH cakes are still around the ren ai road area. They had the BEST chocolate cakes and Boston Pies.

https://foursquare.com/v/紅葉蛋糕-hong-yeh-cake/4d1c8bc1c50e6ea8a362d3b8

I’m not confident about those… the majority of the cakes they sell are for the local traditional market. For us who relocated here from ‘sugarland’, most cakes are not sweet enough, not creamy enough; and really not worth the calories you consume!

They cater for the local market for cakes: birthdays, etc. so the cakes are sponge, foamy affairs. They are not so sweet, but they use artificial cream typically, … They may be ‘more’ healthy because of the lower sugar (which people tell themselves is healthy) but the fats are not natural fats, the flour is loaded with extra stuff, … If you don’t believe that, check the cakes at your local supermarket with the labels to see what I mean.

A good cake should only have recognizable ingredients… but those have an ingredient list that reminds one of the periodic table. And as long.

That said… there are some delish cakes… but you won’t find them in typical bakeries that do birthday cakes here.

1 Like

in South, not sure its real but famous for it

1 Like

That’s pretty much my plan - I was asking in case there was already some place making this. Thanks!

Also, I don’t know the origins of the name and it could have nothing to do with Boston/NE, like London broil and the UK. I thought it was a standard donut flavor, at least at Dunkin’ Donuts (might be a bad example, that chain started in NE).

Avenue (Taipei/Anhe Road) has a version of Boston cream donut - it’s more like the cake than the Dunkin’ donuts I remember. It was also a lot sweeter than I was expecting but that itch has been scratched for now.

1 Like