Wcif: Silicone hose (Taipei)

I need 1.5m of 9mm diameter silicone hose. It’s needed for connecting a cooling coil for home brewing, so it needs to stand close to 100°C. PVC hoses I found at home improvement stores, but as far as I an tell these are only good to around 70°C…

I tried:

• Pharmacies (only thinner short hoses)
  • home improvement stores
  • hardware stores
  • random stuff stores

The hardware stores on taiyuan st near Taipei main station (where the underground Taipei mall on Civic Blvd is) has them.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! So some hardware stores do have them… Any idea what this stuff is normally used for?

Used extensively in Motorsport applications , both for water and turbo connections . There are brands such as Samco , that have taiwan dealers . There is a company called E-51 in Taichung can probably help . Owner Eric speaks English . I will try and send link when I have time but you should find it ok on google . Hope that helps

1 Like

It’s the shops that sells only plastic stuff like hoses and foams. You can tell by the amount of plastic products in the store. Ask them for it

1 Like

Thanks a lot you two. I tried today with PVC, and indeed it’s not good with heat… Going to get the real stuff soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

http://www.x3moto.com.tw/samcosport/samcosport.html

1 Like

Here is a google map location. tons of shop that looks like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/mhDUd3QqY6m82PeY6

They have what you’re looking for. It’s a translucent blueish white hose. Costs a bit more than the black PVC stuff. I need to get some as well for guitar repairs. I hook it up to an espresso steamer thing to do neck resets.

1 Like

not sure it’s as heat resistant as the Motorsport stuff though ?

1 Like

It’s VERY heat resistant, up to 400 C!

1 Like

Motorsport stuff is unlikely to be food-grade

1 Like

Originally , the food part was not posted …so I did not realise .

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for all suggestions!

Food grade is not necessary, only heat resistance is. The hose is never in contact with any food, it only connects a (food safe) cooling device to a water supply.

1 Like

Perfect, I went there today and they had many different kinds of hoses, including silicone.

Thanks a lot again!

PS: really cool idea for your wood steamer!

I found a company that supplies them, requesting right now if they sell direct or through distributors. Silicone -30C-+150C. It’s like 20-40 m in length.