WCIF Surfboards, surf / surfing gear?

In January I’m moving from Florida to Taiwan. I’m planning on leaving my surfboards behind in the hopes of picking one up in Taiwan. Are there any surfers out there who’ve done this? Are boards hard to find/overpriced in Taiwan? Any feed back would be much appreciated.

Check out the travel section. There are a few threads on this including contact numbers. Please don’t start another thread with this same question. Do a search. Okay, I’ve done it for you.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … light=surf

There’s also the Spider Surf shop in Daxi (or Honeymoon Bay, about a 2 hour train ride from taipie). People say Daxi has the best waves in the north.

spidersurfing.com/english1.asp

I tranlsated an article about Taiwanese surfboards and stuff.

Hey, how can you leave home without them?
Also, here good boards are expensive and the Taiwanese boards aren’t that good. (For beginners okay, but not if you’re serious about your surfing.)
Wrap them up well and stick them in a boardbag and they’ll be fine on the plane.

:rainbow:

Believe it or not, I saw a longboard in Costco this weekend. No idea of price or quality, but it’s there nonetheless.

Hey Guys/Gals.
I’d like to find somewhere to get some relatively inexpensive fins and a leash.
Also, a wetsuit??

I went to the “O’neill surf shop” near Zhonxiao/Dunhua, the first place that showed up on google…they were closed (with employees inside waving me to go away), but it looked like a trendy surfwear boutique vs. an actual surf shop.

Do I have to go to a place like JinShan Beach or…down south for the most basic of accessories?

Thanks! :stuck_out_tongue:

I saw this post before.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 63&t=77637

Never been to his place. I brought my long board from Hawaii. Still havent been able to use it since the cold rain has yet to stop up here. I did see some really really really nice waves in Kenting over Chinese New Year.

The costco in hawaii had them too. Usually soft tops or epoxy made in… china.

[quote=“jinjunwei”]I saw this post before.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 63&t=77637

Never been to his place. I brought my long board from Hawaii. Still havent been able to use it since the cold rain has yet to stop up here. I did see some really really really nice waves in Kending over Chinese New Year.[/quote]

Wear a wet suit, the water isn’t that cold anyway. If you compare it to Hawaii it is. You can get cheapish wetsuits in Tou Cheng, near Wu Shi Harbor. Head north from Wu Shi Harbor on Bei Hai An Rd on your right side you’ll see very large, red, a Chinese style gate. There is a surf warehouse place there. I don’t know the prices. I’ve heard they’re cheap. I’ve never worn more than shorty even on the coldest days. The water is warmer than a July day in California. Cold fronts bring good swells and if the the winds are right-good waves. There’s isn’t going to be anything to surf in April/May/June on the east coast when the swells start to change. This week will be good if the winds aren’t crazy.