WCIF Timex watches & weighlifting chalk?

Is there a store where I can buy new Timex watches in Taipei? Taiwanese people are crazy for Casio (Taiwanese brand?), but I prefer Timex and I’m looking for a particular model.

Address and phone number of a store in Taipei would be great, thanks!

I’m also looking for a store in Taipei that sells weightlifting supplies or climbing supplies - I need to buy some chalk for my hands. Again, address and phone number of a store in Taipei would be awesome.

Thanks!

If my memory serves me right, I saw a store not too far from Taipei main station that sells Timex. It’s on the same road as the Nova computer store, just further down, sorry, I don’t have an exact address, but it’s on the ground floor, past McD.

Weightlifting supplies are here (for some other similar threads, just run a search for ‘weights’ and choose Health forum):
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … ight+bench

The chalk thread is here:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 61&start=0

The city’s greatest concentration of watch stores is in a multi-story building in Ximending at the southwest corner of Xining and Emei. You might try there.

Nearby the TP main station (near the govt buildings), there’s a series of shops that specialize in outdoor gear. they should have climbing stuff too incl. chalk. sry i can’t be more specific. it’s been awhile.

I ended up finding a store at the mall across from 101 (the mall with the Vieshow Cinemas). There was a store on the ground floor selling Timex watches and I found the exact one I was looking for.
Thanks!

Didn’t have a chance to go searching for chalk, but I’ll be in Kaohsiung next weekend, so maybe something will turn up there.

[quote=“MPenguin”]I ended up finding a store at the mall across from 101 (the mall with the Vieshow Cinemas). There was a store on the ground floor selling Timex watches and I found the exact one I was looking for.
[/quote]

You found the one store I am aware of (the place is called Warner Village). The next question is: where can I get my Timex Ironman watch band fixed?

That store quoted a 2-month lead time 4 months ago. The Taiwan e-mail given on the Timex web site does not seem to exist. The Timex web site treats watch bands as not part of the watch, which is like electronic manufacturers saying the cord is not part of their product (and many do say just that).

NOTE TO TIMEX: IT’S A WRIST-WATCH. If your device for attaching it to my wrist fails after 6 months, you need to find a solution.

My solution is to look at Casio.

Don’t bother. In January I got a CASIO PRO-TREK for an anniversary present. After 4 weeks of use (not even doing any sports), the TITANIUM strap broke, right on the link that holds it to the watch. This is not a normal link and so cannot just be replaced with another link. Also, the way it is connected to the watch means you cannot use ANY other strap except the one for this exact model. My wife took it to the CASIO warranty place in Taipei, who denied it could possibly have broken without some major abuse and told her it would cost 3,000nt to replace. 3000 fucking NT, but it’s not considered important enough to cover in the warranty? Remember this is a watch which has “TOUGH” printed right there on it. It’s supposed to be for climbing up mountains, hence the built-in altimeter, yet this super-strong titanium strap just broke (the link cracked and broke where it is doubled over on itself (IMO a manufacturing defect, which should be replaced regardless of what any warranty says)).

I ended up fabricating my own replacement link. There was no way I was going to fork out 3000nt, especially when the replacement strap might have broken 4 weeks later (with no warranty).

Anyway, I’ve had more luck with Timex (I’ve had several, each of which have lasted several years) and that’s what my next watch will be.

If a normal strap fits on your Ironman, which (unless things have changed) it should, then how about getting an Animal-type one? You can get them at MetrOasis for about 500nt if I remember right.

After the lickin’, just wait for the tickin’.

Moral of the story – just buy cheap watches since they (or their straps) are going to break anyway.

Yeah, well, in this case it was an anniversary present. My wife asked me what I wanted and I asked for a Pro-trek (any one). I normally would’ve chosen one with a plastic or velcro strap, but I let her choose which model in secret. I just asked her to make sure it looked like it wouldn’t break easily, and I think that’s why she went for the one with the titanium strap.

It was more upsetting for her than anything, cos she felt like she’d bought me crap.

[quote=“irishstu”]
Anyway, I’ve had more luck with Timex (I’ve had several, each of which have lasted several years) and that’s what my next watch will be.

If a normal strap fits on your Ironman, which (unless things have changed) it should, then how about getting an Animal-type one? You can get them at MetrOasis for about 500nt if I remember right.[/quote]

I’ve had a few local JAGA models which were fine for running. I would bet that JAGA or another Taiwan company is making the Timex ones.

Thanks for the tip on MetrOasis. Will look there when I’m in the neighborhood.

CASIO is from Japan.

[quote=“MPenguin”]Is there a store where I can buy new Timex watches in Taipei? Taiwanese people are crazy for Casio (Taiwanese brand?), but I prefer Timex and I’m looking for a particular model.

Address and phone number of a store in Taipei would be great, thanks!

I’m also looking for a store in Taipei that sells weightlifting supplies or climbing supplies - I need to buy some chalk for my hands. Again, address and phone number of a store in Taipei would be awesome.

Thanks![/quote]

Down on Dali street in wanhua, across from massive china times offices/printing plant, there is wholesale watch/clock market. if anywhere, probably there i guess.