WCIF Trumpets, Saxophones & Trombones?

Hi Sandman,

I just saw your post and I know it’s already been three weeks since you posted, but I wanted to know if you got what you needed? If not, let me know.

I got one Jeff, thanks.

Hey guys,

So, I will be visiting Taipei soon and I have a request from my friend to help him buy a cheap and reliable saxophone. Is there any store in Taipei that specializes in woodwind instruments or a shop that specializes in selling Saxophones around Taipei? I know about saxophones Taichung but I can’t travel there this time.

Any help would really be appreciated.

[quote=“BlockArtist”]Hey guys,

So, I will be visiting Taipei soon and I have a request from my friend to help him buy a cheap and reliable saxophone. Is there any store in Taipei that specializes in woodwind instruments or a shop that specializes in selling Saxophones around Taipei? I know about saxophones Taichung but I can’t travel there this time.

Any help would really be appreciated.[/quote]The first thing to say is that unless you play yourself, or at least know what a well-built, properly set up woodwind instrument looks like, it’s going to be a bit of a lucky draw. Having said that, the general quality of the Taiwan-made saxophones seems to be pretty good, especially if you go for an intermediate model instead of the cheapest one.

There’s a shop in Gongguan you should probably try first. They’re associated with (or owned by?) one of the Houli sax manufacturers, and they have a reasonable range. The address is: 106 台北市大安區和平東路一段218號2F (paste it into Google and you’ll get a useful maps result).

That’s 2nd floor, No. 218, Section 1, HéPíng East Rd, Daan District
Taipei City, Taiwan 106

The phone number is +886-2-33653377, and they’re open Tue - Sat from about 1pm to 7pm. The guy there is really friendly and will happily talk for ages about saxes, mouthpieces, ligatures, and reeds.

i went to this address today and couldn’t find anything…

I see. That’s a pity. Probably best to phone in advance as it seems to be just one guy taking care of the store.