WCIF US southern country food?

[quote=“Aikaili, post:20, topic:156078”]
some red chile posole for lunch/dinner.[/quote]
Did you find the posole (pozole, hominy, whatever you want to call it) here in Taiwan? This past summer was the first time I’ve even found the dried stuff in Vancouver, and I brought a couple of bags back. But maybe there’s a Taiwanese equivalent I’m unaware of.

1 Like

i have the same method. it falls into my suitcase and arrive in taipei magically. i don’t think there is dried hominy here or grits for that matter.

I was looking for the chinese word for hominy or posole and can’t find it. it keeps coming back as something close to grits. One time, i was having coffee in Dong Shan and one of the customers said he had a corn processing farm. wish I had gotten his name.

Froggers, I am in the area and had never noticed it before. Western fare? I’ll check it out.

We got pretty nice and affordable Western style-ish places in Xindian now. Nothing really outstanding but they hit the spot ocassionally. However, such an specialty as Southern inspired cusine is totally absent. Prevalent are the soft bread sandwiches and “pasta” places.

Went to Nola’s Kitchen today.

They had me at Fried Green Tomatoes, which were pretty pretty pretty good. Wonder where they get them?

Tried the Chicken Sausage Jambalaya. Taste was southernish but a little watery. The meals all seem a bit heavy for lunchtime. Not a top spot, but I’ll go back.

Service staff very nice and nice setting beside the park.

White gravy, the kind that goes on mashed potatoes, biscuits, and chicken-fried steak is dead easy to make at home. Basically you want to make a simple roux and use it as the base.

Get you some all-purpose flour, a quart of good chicken stock (Kirkland Signature is good), a frying pan, and a whisk. Put a cup of flour in a rice bowl. Season it depending on whether the gravy will go over potatoes, biscuits, or chicken-fried steak. You can’t go wrong if you season with salt, black pepper, paprika, dash of cumin, dried rosemary, and dried thyme (if you can find it in Taiwan). Don’t be afraid to use plenty of seasoning. Use a fork to roughly mix the seasoning into the flour.

Put 75g of good unsalted butter in the bottom of a frying pan. Melt the butter until all its water boils away. Dump the seasoned flour in and commence whisking as you turn the heat up to medium high to high. Fry the flour, whisking constantly, in the butter until it browns - beyond tan - and begins to smell nutty, just before it begins to smoke. This will take 2-5 minutes depending on heat source and pan-wall thickness (gas flame and thin-walled wok will take ~2 minutes, cast iron over electric coil will probably take at least 5).

Over frying the flour is better than under frying it.

Slowly pour in the chicken stock and whisk like the devil until all clumps are smoothed out - this is steamy. Whisk constantly. Slowly add stock (and additional water if necessary) until the gravy’s thickness is to your liking. Heat until boiling, whisking constantly. Remove from heat. It will tend to thicken slightly as it cools.

That’s about it. Good white gravy will usually put an end to all cravings for Southern comfort food, ime.

4 Likes

In Kaoshiung, not Taipei but if in the area try it as its good food… Good guy, from Arkansas, with Southern food that is good and homemade as much as possible. But what I like is, the Chili rice, a bit like the one I eat in Hawaii as local food a bit fusion food. But Biscuits are good, with gravy and other combos if you wish.

3 Likes

Tried Nola’s again. Can’t remember going there since wrote a previous comment.

Had Gumbo, Jambalaya, and Fried Green Tomatoes.

Didn’t find anything good enough to clean my plate or go back except maybe for the view of small park next door.

Nola Kitchen has at least one store in Taichung.

Nola Kitchen 紐奧良小廚
04 2242 7662

Went to NOLA this weekend trip up north near the new Hilton near the centre Tsation (we don;t work Sat’s), decent food not very expensive, the house beer was lighter though what I thought I might get. Staff was very nice, helped us with group photos on a busy Friday night there. The corkage fee is cheap at NT$100, we brought homemade ume wine (was worried was bad but tasted good and did not get sick)

1 Like

Buttermilk fried chicken and biscuit sandwiches.

The 雞 Spot :chicken:

Oddly, there is a buttermilk fried chicken place a minute away.

Scott

3 Likes

Does Texas Roadhouse count?