WCIF Vacuum tubes and related components

I am designing/building a tube guitar amp from scratch and need to source some of the components.

12ax7 tubes are easy enough to get from music stores but I need to find a specialty shop that will have sockets and other related compents (e.g turret boards etc)

Anyone seen such a thing hidden away somewhere? (I’ve combed Guang hua market to no avail)

Have you tried the electronics area outside ZhongXiao XinSheng station? Go down to the basement area. Although TBH I’ve not specifically seen valve bases there … but they certainly have the other slightly-unusual components you’re likely to need (high-voltage capacitors, audio coupling transformers, etc).

Failing that … DigiKey? They do ship to Taiwan.

There is Xining market, somewhere between Taipei main station and Ximen. It’s an old building with a traditional market on the first two floor but the floor above that has stores selling hi end audio stuff, many sells vacuum tube but you won’t find any soviet or current production tubes, they only sell expensive NOS tube…

yeah, that place rocks. They will have just about anything you need to build out electronics projects. They do have some of the harder to find stuff there but I never have found any tube equipment. Although there are so many nooks and crannies down in that basement hiding little shops, I could have easily missed it if its there.

This place is gone now (unless I’m mistaken). Some of the shops moved to Guanghwa, but a lot of them just closed.

yeah, that place rocks. They will have just about anything you need to build out electronics projects. They do have some of the harder to find stuff there but I never have found any tube equipment. Although there are so many nooks and crannies down in that basement hiding little shops, I could have easily missed it if its there.[/quote]

Forget that basement place and get over to the Guanghwa building. Go up to the 4th floor (I think it’s the fourth floor) and find the small guitar shop (not to be confused with the guitar shop on the 3rd floor which actually has a bunch of guitars). Next door to the guitar shop is a little shop that has a bunch of old tubes and related things. The guitar shop and the tube shop are basically on the south side of the building, almost at the western-most corner.