We are Taiwanese, if you please

Assuming that terms and conditions are clearly defined, and can reasonably expect to be met, what is your desired status in Taiwan?

• (Dual) Citizenship, with all of its rights and responsibilities.
  • Permanent Resident ARC with an Open Work Permit
  • ARC with an Open Work Permit
  • ARC with a traditional work permit
  • Multiple-Entry Visitor Visa
  • Visitor Visa

0 voters

[quote=“Spack”]Let’s have a show of hands among long-term foreign residents.
Who would get dual nationality if it was reasonably easy to obtain? [sits on hands]
Another show of hands for “Thanks, but no thanks.” [scratches head][/quote]

[color=green]Related to Poagao’s recent poll, “What do you see yourself as”, I’m asking what you would like to be. Assuming that you live here, and assuming that terms and conditions are clearly defined, and can reasonably expect to be met, what is your desired status in Taiwan?[/color]
:?:

Maybe you should create different categories, e.g. “Dual citizenship including military service”, “Dual citizenship with no military service”, “Dual citizenship with a pony”, etc.

The current requirements for ROC citizenship are not particularly burdensome except for the “formal renunciation of original citizenship” specification.

I am actively pushing for the Legislative Yuan to consider revising this part of the law to recognize a “mutually reciprocal” basis at the earliest opportunity.

You can help push this agenda along by having your local Taiwanese friends and associates write or call the offices of their local Legislators, and urge for speedy consideration of this bill.

I have already obtained basic support for this from Legislators of all four parties and the independents. All Legislators in the Domestic Affairs and Foreign Affairs Legislative sub-committees have been contacted. However, your help is needed to keep the ball rolling.

“Mutual reciprocity” would mean that if Taiwanese can obtain nationality in the foreigner’s home country without formal renunciation of original citizenship, then the foreigner would be entitled to the same treatment in Taiwan. “Mutual reciprocity” is a recognized principle of international law.

With such a framework in place, Taiwan could gain much. Qualified foreigners who obtain local citizenship could certainly do their part to improve the local economic situation, as they set up companies and create jobs. Indeed, the positive economic side of it is a big plus, as most of the people who would be applying for citizenship are long-termers in Taiwan anyway. With full rights here, they could make additional positive contributions to the society and the economy.

Poagao, the Maoman did ask a very straight forward question, I for one am tired of traveling the world, (retired military) and have no problem staying here for the long haul. 1 vote for Dual.

As it stands now if I renounce my US citizenship I lose my retirement pay.

I am happy about my current citizenship and my country (Denmark) in general forbids dual citizenships.

Permanent residency with open work rights would suffice for me.

I put the phrase “(Dual) Citizenship, with all of its rights and responsibilities”, thinking that the phrase rights and responsibilities covered things like military service for eligible males under 45. To my knowledge, citizenship does not come with a pony, unless some individuals are getting preferential treatment. 'Fess up, Poagao. :wink:

I just want to come and go when I want and work where I want to, without all the hassle. I’m with Holger, a PARC and open work permit is good enough for me.

If ‘reasonable’ is no worse than the current number of burning hoops, I’m game to have some political rights to show for my tax dollars.
A spell as a conscript in the Taiwanese military is out of the question, but mostly on the side of the army. They do do not want big-noses in the army any more than they want women or gays.
Mind you, by the time the necessary legislation was in place, I’d likely be to old to be conscripted anyway. :wink:

[quote=“hsiadogah”]
A spell as a conscript in the Taiwanese military is out of the question, but mostly on the side of the army. They do do not want big-noses in the army any more than they want women or gays.[/quote]

Really? I wish they’d told me that. Could have saved me two years.

Yes, I admit it, I had a Trial Pony for a while, but it just didn’t fit in the hallway very well. I know, picky picky.

I would be willing to do alternative national service, but not military, as an R.O.C. citizen, as long as it did not entail giving up my treasured status as a loyal subject of Her Britannic Majesty, freedom of movement, abode and employment in the European Union and visa exemption in most countries around the world.

U.K. law explicitly allows dual or multiple citizenship - it even says so in one’s passport, so Hartzell’s reciprocity idea would be attractive for Brits.

Off topic:

I have heard that they pick a bit on white guys in the army. True?

Looking forward to read your book when it comes out.

Who says? All my gay male friends have done their army service except for one who was overweight.

The health department want gays. Their director-general likes to lick the ears of young men while in KTVs. :smiley: :smiley:

Homosexuality is a traditional no-no, but there are quite a few references to it in classical chinese literature.

Is there any interest among the officials in the BTCO in Taipei in supporting this initiative at any level? If you could introduce me to specific people in the BTCO, or in the British community in Taiwan, particularly those who want to push for this, I would be willing to meet with them.

I stand by my post (no pun intended). The military in the USA does not want gays, it tolerates them, but it doesn’t want them. Same here. For the record, I have nothing against gays.
The military here doesn’t want the hassle of foreign conscripts (especially those non Chinese speakers), but as Poagao alludes may be forced on occasion to accept them. This was one of the reasons (excuses?) I heard most commonly espoused as for foreign applications for citizenship being permanently ‘in limbo’. Maybe that’s changed since I last looked into it.

Funny thing is though, that if push came to shove, I’d probably be a lot more willing to take up arms to defend Taiwan than most of the local conscripts would. I’m that’s true of many of us.

Poagao, I’ll also be interested to read about your experiences.

Although many countries like the UK prohibit dual nationality, Taiwanese are not denied the convenience and there’s no reason any of us should give up our current citizenship to have Taiwanese citizen. I think Richard deserves the support in this effort whether or not you are able or even wish to take advantage of such an arrangement. It should be done because it’s right.

A naturalised ROC citizen does not (according to Article 10 of the Nationality Law) full rights as an ROC citizen by descent, and yet still has to perform national service. ROC “citizenship” is akin to British nationality, of which there are 6 classes: British Citizen, British Dependent Territories Citizen, British Overseas Citizen, British National (Overseas) (often called “British ? NO!”), British Protected Person, and British Subject. Only British Citizens have right of abode in the UK. I will post more on the subject in the “alientw.org” thread.

hmm. that’s interesting. do most countries have that kind of setup? i was always under the assumption that the us had either citizens or non-citizens(with resident aliens kinda in between).

The health department want gays. Their director-general likes to lick the ears of young men while in KTVs.

Be carefull, he also threatened to sue anyone who (wrongly) accuses him of that.

What are you talking about? I just pointed out that the UK does allow dual nationality, as is clearly pointed out inside every British passport.

As to gays in the ROC military, if homosexuals were barred from military service, most Taiwanese men approaching the age of 20 would suddenly start acting very camp.

Hartzell: I really don’t think the British Trade and Whatever-it-is Office would want to get involved in this issue, as they are diplomats and it would be seen as interfering in the ROC’s internal affairs. I as an individual am prepared to have a go. My girlfriend could probably pull a few strings. She must have met you once, because she came home with your namecard.

Juba: “Hey, A-Bian, could I have a passport, please?”
A-Bian: “Only if you promise to vote for me.”
Juba: “I will if you support Hanyu pinyin.”
A-Bian: “OK - fair deal.”

US has a few categories of nationality. US citizen or US non-citizens. Then US Trust Territory citizens whom are not part of the USA anymore. The British have a very wild system of mixed nationality, but it is interesting trying to figure it out.