We cannot raise our flag but others can

Apple.daily are scum we’d root them out in my home country talking about our people like that.

This athlete obviously was afraid to wrap the flag around himself. There’s some debate in local media that the competitors were overly sensitive.

I think the only reason why I’m even remotely patriotic is because of how the PRC treats taiwan. I probably wouldn’t fly the ROC going into the ring if it didn’t mess with their minds so much. Taiwan gets the bad end of the stick to often so I make sure to take advantage of the opportunity to mess with PRC nationals about it when they can’t do anything about it. It’s mostly to mess with them than being patriotic.

Its a bad sign because it may mean Taiwanese are accepting their increasing restrictions with little push back.

Self censorship at home.

Somebody tell me I’m wrong?

A lot of very wealthy people in Taiwan are actually for unification. Sadly some of the most pro taiwan people are actually people not originally from Taiwan.

Can Taiwanese raise their flag in the events held in their own country? @discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Outlook good

Problem I think is which flag. In our block, surrounded by pro independence protesters and civil servants, the ROC flags competed with green and white Taiwan island in the middle flags, the hail heroes makeshift flags and even publicity ones - some guys from nearby sports stores carried their store’s banners if you can believe that.

As much as any of us wants to defend the white star, red and blue f k at of the ROC, there are so many hum hums around it, it is not easy.

It’s my opinion that pro independence people need to just be cool with the what is technically the KMT flag. It’s the flag that flies over this country and it such a trivial thing vs like a entire country threatening to use military action against you like all the time. And also they haven’t made a cooler looking flag, all the pro independence flags are all so ugly. You can’t have a cool country with a ugly ass flag.

2 Likes

Hey i beat u, mine over 300 years . NYah Nyah.
but yeah on the subject of flags. Guess the TW govt wants to be invited BACK to future events and wants a chance to host maybe THE OLYMPICS???

But yeah, kinda lame not to be able to raise your own flag .

I raise my flag daily (but thats another topic).

2 Likes

Remember the flag with the same concept but the sun in the middle instead of the canton? There was a suggestion that it could be interpreted as the same flag (i.e. not blatantly give the finger to Beijing) while at the same time not indicating one party rule the way the conventional ROC flag does.

Idk. Do you have a picture of it? I feel like pro independence people have been really lazy in their flag making. I haven’t seen a flag that’s like bad ass and makes me want to be part of it. All of them are like uhhh, that’s the flag we’re going with?

Someone posted it here a while back, probably in the “proposals for a new flag” thread, but I’m too lazy to look for it. :sleeping:

I suppose everyone knows that the flag thing goes back a ways, but I’m posting this just in case.

Apparently the ROC flag was banned from skating and judo competitions held in Taipei in 2005.

One night in late October of 2008, in anticipation of a visit by Chen Yunlin (a Chinese official), someone apparently secretly removed a number of publicly-displayed ROC flags from the streets of Taipei.

During Chen Yunlin’s visit, several flag-related incidents happened. For example, the police were filmed apparently trying to seize a woman’s ROC flag, were filmed apparently seizing another person’s ROC flag, and apparently were filmed seizing a banner and an ROC flag. Also during Chen’s visit, the police were alleged to have shut down the playing of patriotic music in a Taipei music store.

In 2010, “National Formosa University, I-Shou University, Taipei Kai-Ping Culinary School and Long-Sing Junior High School . . . were alleged by students to have removed ROC national flags due to the presence of Chinese visitors.”

And in June of last year, the Asian Football Federation decided to fine the Chinese Taipei Football Association because a fan displayed a Taiwan independence flag at a game in Kaohsiung.

It seems to me that suppressing ROC flags or Taiwan flags in certain situations has been, and still is, something that might as well be a policy.

3 Likes

I saw a news report with police roughing up middle aged men with Republic of China flags. I think they even arrested one or two in that footage. And it was in Taipei during the closing ceremony as far as I could gather.

1 Like

That’s not even our flag, its the flag of a foreign occupying force. If people had any balls they’d have smuggled in thousands of actual Taiwan flags (green with the island imprinted) and pulled them out at a critical moment. The police can arrest one or two brave souls, but not 20,000.

1 Like

Well, it’s the flag of the closest thing to a country that Taiwan has ever been. I don’t see what’s the problem with it.

The flag issue is, along with the Chinese-Taipei moniker, the brainchild of the same people that gave you the “we walked out -we were not kicked out- of the UN because they couldn’t bear to accept Taiwan as a separate entity”. Heaven forbid they give up their psychotic dream of ever regaining the Motherland, even if it means the death of us all. These conflicts are the product of back room deals among ganster hyped types who have no regard for proper Mandate of Law and no respect for those who sheltered them in times of need.

I remember when I was scolded for writing Taipei as the capital. The capital is Nanking! Yep, and as per the Constitution, Mongolia is part of China which is under our command… sigh…

If given the choice between accepting the name of Taiwan as official and having an H bomb dropped on this island, they will choose the bomb every time, as they have done before. That is why we have Chinese Taipei, that is why we have the national flag taken over by a party flag. That is why Taiwan will always be part of China.

2 Likes

The guy I linked to above just had a green banner with Taiwan written across it.

He claims he was first grabbed by some undercover goons and then some police or stewards took him away after he started struggling to get the banner back.

The problem is it’s the flag of a foreign occupying force who murdered and persecuted thousands upon thousands of Taiwanese for 40 odd years. And the children of those murderers still hold office and still enjoy the fruits of their ill-gotten gains.

Yes, but that happened with the Jap and with any other occupant I guess. And before that tribes were haunting each other too.

However, anybody supporting or claiming a Taiwan independent from China mainland has my sympathy.