We could use a men's forum

I’m a single man coming back to dating after a long absense. I have a lot of very blunt and pointed questions about dating in taiwan. Call me a fool, but I really don’t have a clue what I’m doing. I never have, really. I really don’t want to offend anyone, but I have some questions. I’m a pretty explicit person on all levels, and I have a lot of questions. I’m looking for a man’s opinion on where and when to find dates, what to expect, and what to do.

My dating experiences in my whole life have gone from 0-200 in half a second. My dating experiences in Taiwan have been the same. I’m looking for something maybe a little bit more natural, take my time, cess the situation out, have some fun!

I have many interests and I’m not afraid of much (besides drowning and/or suffocation) and I’m busy a lot of the time with my own thing. I’d just like to be spending more time with the opposite sex. I love women!

I’m a bit shy and a bit out of the loop, but you gotta start somewhere. Why not?

I’m not looking for a wingman or to be a wingman or anything like that. I would, however, like to be a bit more of a player.

What do women want in a date? What do they not want?

I don’t feel very desparate or lonely, but I need some tips.

I’ve had a couple of dates lately, and I don’t know what to think about the whole thing.

And I think too much!

Ah… It’s springtime in my life and I feel amorous…

When I was in Australia they were advertising some sort of nasal pray that could help with this.

Not quite sure how it works but it could get you past that crucial .5 seconds into something a bit more memorable.

And how exactly are men supposed to tell you that when women can’t?

That’s almost exactly what I’m asking.

Roses, nice dinner, a movie, hanggliding, an ecstacy-fueled all-nighter at a club, a game of chess, a picnic in the country, a day’s dirt-bike riding, a browse through an antiquarian bookstore. The list goes on.
What do they not want? See above.
You’re asking an impossible question, but offhand, not being a woman, I’d say they probably mostly like genuineness and the ability to make them laugh. Oh, and well-shined shoes. I’ve heard that’s very important.
Mainly, just don’t stress about it. And have fun – after all, half the fun is finding out what the other person likes/dislikes.

I was going to say: “And why on earth would you want to get advice on this from a man?”

but then I saw this:

[quote=“sandman”]Roses, nice dinner, a movie, hanggliding, an ecstacy-fueled all-nighter at a club, a game of chess, a picnic in the country, a day’s dirt-bike riding, a browse through an antiquarian bookstore. The list goes on.
What do they not want? See above.
You’re asking an impossible question, but offhand, not being a woman, I’d say they probably mostly like genuineness and the ability to make them laugh. Oh, and well-shined shoes. I’ve heard that’s very important.
Mainly, just don’t stress about it. And have fun – after all, half the fun is finding out what the other person likes/dislikes.[/quote]
And now I know why sandman’s wife has been so lucky :slight_smile:

Stick with this guy!

Except for the “hanggliding”. I have no idea what that is :s

HaHA! I’m with sandman! Yeah, have fun. Thanks man.
d

women ARE fun!

A sport for utter madmen. The rodent’s probably done it.

But he’s a he; I thought you wanted a woman? Not even in the very worst of lights could you mistakle Sandman for a woman.

HG

Roses, nice dinner, a movie, hanggliding, an ecstacy-fueled all-nighter at a club, a game of chess, a picnic in the country, a day’s dirt-bike riding, a browse through an antiquarian bookstore. The list goes on.[/quote]
Is that just the one date? What do you do on the second date?

Roses, nice dinner, a movie, hanggliding, an ecstacy-fueled all-nighter at a club, a game of chess, a picnic in the country, a day’s dirt-bike riding, a browse through an antiquarian bookstore. The list goes on.[/quote]
Is that just the one date? What do you do on the second date?[/quote]
Snore in front of the telly with your feet in a basin of epsom salts. :wink:

Right. If anything, you need a wingWOMAN, not a wingMAN. There’s nothing more annoying, pathetic and amateuristic to a woman than seeing TWO guys trying to play off of each other. It NEVER works!

I understand that aproaching a girl alone is hard, but if you do it right, it’s worth so much more. Believe me.

If you can’t, then I’d recommend going with a female friend. And if she does it right, subtly, so that your target doesn’t figure out, then it works as a charm. Belive me this one too.

Right. If anything, you need a wingWOMAN, not a wingMAN. There’s nothing more annoying, pathetic and amateuristic to a woman than seeing TWO guys trying to play off of each other. It NEVER works!

I understand that aproaching a girl alone is hard, but if you do it right, it’s worth so much more. Believe me.

If you can’t, then I’d recommend going with a female friend. And if she does it right, subtly, so that your target doesn’t figure out, then it works as a charm. Belive me this one too.[/quote]

Excepting that in Taiwan they almost always think that if you’re with a woman she must be your girlfriend. They then stay waaaaaay away from you. Except the kind you don’t actually want to attract.

Yeah, and for most of my life I’ve been very good friends with women. Even the ones I’ve been romantic with. But, in Taiwan, If you’re seen with a women, it’s assumed that you’re with her. WITH HER!

I could use a wingwoman, maybe. I have a date tomorrow, if it’s not raining too hard. We’re going to an art gallery somewhere and later to coffee and dinner. I hope I’m charming enough to have a Date that nice. I’ve never had one before.

I do appreciate a woman’s opinion, but I’m thinking it’s not the right thing right now.

She (as far as I know) doesn’t drink or smoke, some kind of pro job somewhere, pretty. Writes well. Sounds good to me.

I’m trying not to think too much. But I do.

It might be just another boring language exchange thing. Yahoo!

I still think we need a mens forum.

And I’m not giving up. Not again. Try , try again.

I’m thinking you just want a men’s forum so you can talk all sorts of smut that would normally get you flamed… :s

But whatever, if you can find someone willing to be the moderator for that, why not? It seems only fair that the men have a private forum too.

And, heck, maybe…just maybe, you’ll actually talk about some important, serious guy stuff–like prostate cancer check-ups and colonoscopies. :bouncy:

Good luck with your campaign! :salute:

What smut? please elaborate!

And I do think it would be fair.

I’m not squeamish about sex, anyway. But writing frankly about it would get me into hot water here.

I am a bit squeamish about who I have sex with. I think that’s ok.

This thread was never intended to be about sex, but for a man, (I think) sex is a natural progression of a relationship with anyone attractive and interesting. I’m not so sure about women. I don’t know much about women.

I could have posted a sex question in the health forum and got the same results, no?

Take the piss of me all you want! I don’t care. I’ll take what’s useful to me and throw away all the crap.

Thanks anyways. Feel free to send me some links to books or web pages or anything.

It looks like the women can get a forum but not the men. Some things are sacred.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]What smut? please elaborate!

And I do think it would be fair.

I’m not squeamish about sex, anyway. But writing frankly about it would get me into hot water here. [/quote]

I refer to “explicitness” as “smut”.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]I am a bit squeamish about who I have sex with. I think that’s ok.

This thread was never intended to be about sex, but for a man, (I think) sex is a natural progression of a relationship with anyone attractive and interesting. I’m not so sure about women. I don’t know much about women.

I could have posted a sex question in the health forum and got the same results, no? [/quote]

I actually think this has been a nice thread in which you have gotten some very good advice from Sandman and Tash. I don’t see the degeneration into pure sex talk you are alluding to at all.

:astonished: Honestly, I hope that wasn’t directed at me! I was trying to be supportive.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]Thanks anyways. Feel free to send me some links to books or web pages or anything.

It looks like the women can get a forum but not the men. Some things are sacred.[/quote]

If you’ll read my post again, I–a woman–stated that I was in favor of your having your own forum. I just don’t want to be the one in charge of moderating it :blush:

Get a men’s forum! I’m sure many guys would love to say things but are too scared to have a bunch of women get offended and ask them to be banned.

Good luck on understanding women though…I know that I am at least 4 different people every month…can’t imagine what an outsider must make of my moods!!

Thanks for explaining, Persephone! Smut, to me is a dirty word. Like: slut, dirt, fuck, bang, … whatever.

I thought you were attacking me. Sorry.

I’d moderate a men’s forum but I don’t really know much about men or women. I really only know a bit about me. Honestly, religion offends me more than the specifics of anal sex. I don’t have a sex problem. I have a faith problem.

I don’t really have any faith in anything.

Consider me an alien.

i’ve had a few women’s opinions lately, and they have mostly told me that my line of thinking seems needy and unnatractive.

perhaps I’ve actually gone long enough without anyone.

A nice date in a museum and a nice coffe later with a lovely young lady is a good thing, in my book.

I don’t know what to think if she wants to come over to my house later. it might mean nothing or everything.

Of course I would like to find a real GF who is looking for a nice guy like me…

But I am more than willing to explore dating a thousand times before that.

I’m not closed to sex either, but I have been. I’m thinking i was a dummy. Arg!

What the hell is dating, anyway?

Why don’t you come to the HH today canuck? Practice your social skills amongst your brethren? Seriously, you seem not to be very relaxed IMHO. That’s not an unsurmountable problem. Best way to relax is to hang out with fun people and have a good time.

jds :rainbow: