We know that dial 3 is a fraud yet why is my cousin rolling betel nuts at my aunt's store

Seriously in other posts we know that dialing 3 will not get you English customer support. People like my cousin and one of my friends, our village computer expert, are under the impression that there are a lot of English Speakers here in Taiwan and did not believe that I really could not get decent help in the internet, phone company, credit card company arenas.

That is, until I invited them to watch me try to get customer service. They were surprised!
Now, back to the main question… The companies still insist on having the English Service Menu, but it is my feeling that they just don’t want to hire decent English Speakers. My cousin’s English is good enough! Better than most. She did work study in the states and she can comunicate. Yet, she says she cant find a decent customer service job. She’s now just helping her mom and doing e-mail customer service on occasion. Same goes with many “Chinese Teachers” in the cram schools where they work for peanuts. What gives.

What is the address of your aunt’s store?

he means pictures please ! :slight_smile:

Pictures? (Wolves You Are!)- This is my cousin by marriage. At least I have access to a decent Chinese teacher. Oh… yes, my name is Taiwan_Student and I’m uh married…

Seriously though…soon the western manners will disappear as well the English, not that there is anything wrong with local manners if you have the ability to jump back and forth between worlds. Only long-timers would understand. Any serious suggestions or leads where people of decent English ability could get jobs would be greatly appreciated. PM me.

Australia?

And he’s serious: standard salary her ein taiwan: 20K, average salary equivalent for Taiwanese working in Australia: 60K. meipanfa!

Don’t quite get those last posts… SO you say… a Taiwanese college graduate with decent English skills is better off working in her mom’s five and dime candy/betel nut store until some truck driver or fish farmer caries her away. The customer service type jobs don’t pay enough for a single girl to earn a decent living? She’d probably have to move to Taipei or Commute to Kaohsiung (1+ hour by bus).
She’s a recent college graduate… How much does a young female need to make for a decent/safe existence in the city. Maybe I’ll accidentally drop a google place mark on her aunts store… Heck… I don’t trust you guys…

Alls we want is an eyeful or two. But seriously, college grads can start at bout 35,000nt if they lock into a good job in the big city. Working up to 50,000nt/month in pretty short order if they , once again lock into the right job and do well at it.

Returning TW students with a US college degree dont do any better then this usually.

But its a job. Yes beetlenut girls have been known to make up to 50,000nt but thats probably a myth.

She will be exposed to a lot of rif raf as you say.

I think most beetlenut girls are not college educated is pretty safe statement.

Heck a lot of them are not slutty nor indecently dressed and I would love to date.

I think their image is improving.

Fellows, fellows… I don’t think the OP referenced Betel Nut to say that her cousin rolls out of bed in her lingerie every afternoon… I think she just meant that it’s a crappy job. And judging by the clientele of such establishments, I agree.

Taiwan_Student, your cousin just needs to move to Taipei. Kaohsiung isn’t even a good bet. In Taipei, I have many friends that graduated from university within the past couple years and are making anywhere from $25K to $35K as administrative assistants. They’re basic types of office jobs where they get you to do anything and everything, but you learn a lot and if you stick to a particular industry, you can build your skills set. One of those friends speaks excellent English, but her pay is lower than many of those whose English isn’t that great at all.

Moving to Taipei is the answer here. Of course, renting out a room without your own private bathroom is going to cost at least $7,000 per month.

Moving to Taipei may not be the best option due to cost, expensive city to live in, so if pay is not relatively high it doesn’t work out well.
As I said already, their best option is emigration, everything else is a hard slog

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Moving to Taipei may not be the best option due to cost, expensive city to live in, so if pay is not relatively high it doesn’t work out well.
As I said already, their best option is emigration, everything else is a hard slog[/quote]

Yeah, Taiwan does kinda suck in terms of career possibility for the average person…

[quote=“shawn_c”][quote=“headhonchoII”]Moving to Taipei may not be the best option due to cost, expensive city to live in, so if pay is not relatively high it doesn’t work out well.
As I said already, their best option is emigration, everything else is a hard slog[/quote]

Yeah, Taiwan does kinda suck in terms of career possibility for the average person…[/quote]

It’s kind of funny. Been here a while and had great hopes of teaching kids to speak English. Remember, I live in the country and people here are not like the people you are around if you live in the city. I marvel at the sight of kids actually going into the English bookstores in Kaohsiung of their own free will and reading books… in English! You may see some bald foreigner with a gomer pyle look on his face saying… “Well, I’ll be…” some time.

Now… I get these kids who are young… They do a reasonable job speaking. They have fun, joke and tease in English. Then years go by… they start to speak less and less. Then… I see them years later and they speak with every known mistake I told them not to use or do…
So, I’m kind of pessimistic about long term gains… I have had a couple of students escape to Australia or the US and they have said that I made a difference in their career. It’s funny, I think of them as saved souls…

So new problem… This girl my cousin went on a work study program in the states where she worked in the hospitality industry. Restaurants, fairs and what not. It’s Chinese New Year so there has been no time to get more information. When things calm down I will see her more. She’s a good student, but no special connections. Where can she go? Are there any work programs? It’s a pitty. Taiwan has so much. I wish they’d value English more.

Well its not Singapore. Even though they do want to incorporate English a lot more. But its basically a mando centric country.

So don’t do it. What’s the hell difficult about that?

What does she want to do? She can go to Australia for two years. She can also get a visa for other places if she has a hospitality degree. There are also many new hotels and resorts going up on the East coast she can work at those places. English is not neccessary in the main.

Have a map here HH :wink:

A whole lot of nothing sounds good to me :slight_smile:.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”][quote=“shawn_c”][quote=“headhonchoII”]Moving to Taipei may not be the best option due to cost, expensive city to live in, so if pay is not relatively high it doesn’t work out well.

Yeah, Taiwan does kinda suck in terms of career possibility for the average person…[/quote]

It’s kind of funny. Been here a while and had great hopes of teaching kids to speak English. Remember, I live in the country and people here are not like the people you are around if you live in the city. I marvel at the sight of kids actually going into the English bookstores in Kaohsiung of their own free will and reading books… in English! You may see some bald foreigner with a gomer pyle look on his face saying… “Well, I’ll be…” some time.

Now… I get these kids who are young… They do a reasonable job speaking. They have fun, joke and tease in English. Then years go by… they start to speak less and less. Then… I see them years later and they speak with every known mistake I told them not to use or do…
So, I’m kind of pessimistic about long term gains… I have had a couple of students escape to Australia or the US and they have said that I made a difference in their career. It’s funny, I think of them as saved souls…

So new problem… This girl my cousin went on a work study program in the states where she worked in the hospitality industry. Restaurants, fairs and what not. It’s Chinese New Year so there has been no time to get more information. When things calm down I will see her more. She’s a good student, but no special connections. Where can she go? Are there any work programs? It’s a pitty. Taiwan has so much. I wish they’d value English more.[/quote]

English is not the key to any door… it’s just another tool in the pocket knife of skills. Heck, it may even be two or three tools in Taiwan, but it’s not an entire pocket knife.

Since your cousin has skills in the hospitality industry, she should go and work in that industry. Try and work for a foreign hotel chain; work hard, work smart, learn as much as she can. Many possibilities open up if you’re a recognized asset to a foreign company…

Sounds like she is just what DingTaiFung is looking for. Heard that they pay well, too.

Living in Hualien what does one expect? That said, there must be a tonne of new hotels opening on the East coast, methinks the problem is lack of ambition.