We moved to Kaohsiung!

The royal we?

1 Like

The airport is ok, far fewer flights than TPE, maybe more than TSA airport.

I go to Tallinn or Vilinus often, two stops. My preferred EU gateway airport is Helsinki as couple flights a day from Japan or Hong Kong then to KHH. Sometimes connect in Frankfurt or Berlin (but not really like the FRA -Flughafen Frankfurt) airport as its too big), sometimes use The Taoyuan Airport for price, though need consider bullet train costs. The KHH airport is also 20-30 minutes by car for me and often out of the airport in less than 30 minutes (for me the biggest wait is bags). Also check in is fast as is security. No fancy places to eat, but still some expensive LV shops and so on if you like to shop, and no fancy lounges, so I arrive a hour before an international flight.

2 Likes

Its very Youtuber Millenial style, knew you would love it Jimi.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’m not sure if I will love it or not but give it a try.

I rented a longtime but I am fortunate that is by choice i.e. I could buy if I wanted, and in Taiwan renting is very easy and reasonable. With renting you can also move around and explore the world a bit more. If you dont like it or get bored can move on.
I could have rented new luxury places for 1000 euro a month here but schooling was a factor more than anything. Being an uncool city (country ) off the international map has its advantages.

1 Like

Welcome to KH! I’ve been here for two years and I’m absolutely loving it. Wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.

I live in one of the quiet harbor neighborhoods you mentioned. Best part of the city in my opinion. Very authentic and old school alleys, yet filled with some artsy stuff. I live at the foot of a mountain and haven’t noticed any brown, but that might be because it’s near the water.

And yes, I love that you can catch direct flights to most cities in Asia straight from KHH.

Hope you continue to enjoy your time here! And be sure to visit Pier 2 on a Sunday evening.

5 Likes

Hope you enjoy this great city.

How come you managed to find 4br for 22K near MRT? Are 591 listings inflated to stratosphere?

1 Like

Not very central, 10 mins walk to station, I think it was 591. Mostly furnished too. Can negotiate in getting the management fees and parking included always. There are a LOT of 2/3 bd apartments to choose from if you dont consider schools or furnished. If you want 4bds its a lot less obviously. It will.be an older apartment or a new luxury apartment somewhere occupying a whole floor/half floor at a very high price. They don’t build true 4bd apartments for middle class people anymore, even new real 3bds are not so common, more like 2+1. Saw a brand new 3bd furnished for 30k in Melshuguan area with swimming pool. Schools were all full in.that area. There are lots of choices out there.

1 Like

Back when i was looking the problem was they were mostly awful!

1 Like

yes, finding decent sized new apartment is difficult. people stopped having kids, so new apartments arent designed to have another bedroom for a second or third child.

3 Likes

Want see Green, visit the rice patties (photo in Pingtung this morning), off motorway 88 going to Fanglaio

7 Likes

In Pingdong right now.

8 Likes

Nice photo and green, and tall what looks like Betel nut palms.

P.S> did you avoid the traffic out? Quite busy this morning

2 Likes

Totally tropical, another part of Pingdong, pizza and pasta place and the couple running it living in nice cabins. I’m jealous. Yes it’s a lot greener here closer to the mountains.

4 Likes

Hills above Pingdong are amazing. Was swimming there. A lot of good choices

2 Likes

Was around there yesterday afternoon killing a few hours then headed up the 185.

1 Like

Well its time to go kill a few more hours around Pingtung or south Kaohsiung, just see where the road takes me.

2 Likes

Welcome to 高市, see your enjoying 高屏

3 Likes

Welcome to the south Brian! it’s a good place. The dryness in “winter” is par for the course. nothing gets as gorgeous and lush as the northern tip. but it greens up when/if the plum rains start :slight_smile: Even when parched, driving into the mountains in tainan/kaohsiung/pingtung there are loads of gorgeous spots with water.

the first heavy rains after a month or more of nothing and pollution buildup can be truly surreal. when the air glows, just take the time to sit outside with family. it’s truly an experience :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks. There is a ‘worse than hundred year drought’ at the moment in some places around Taiwan, so I think it might not be exactly normal everywhere.

Tell us how much your kids and spouse like it? They are born & raised Northern, right