Wear a Helmet

I have replied to you.
And yes, ambulance staff and hospital workers are mostly angels … the ambulance driver even insisted to load my bike in the ambulance, and not leave on the roadside.
Then arranged at the hospital to have it stored and locked inside a room, all while I was already in the X-ray room :smile:

5 Likes

I don’t remember their faces but the time I had to out my and my friend’s bikes in an ambulance I think it wasn’t totally liked by them.

Fellow cyclists maybe?

We’re everywhere.

2 Likes

I limit biking in Taiwan as much as possible most of the time I don’t even bike. After seeing how reckless people drive their vehicles it’s better to be safe than sorry. It’s crazy how people driving cars and motorcycles would run you over without a second thought. Wear your helmet and don’t forget for a second that one accident could cost you your life.

1 Like

Sure he was one of us …:grin:

I bike here for almost 25 years.
Yes, it can be dangerous, I had my share, but the rewards are still fantastic.
And if you know your way a bit, there are literally thousands of smaller roads without a single car or scooter.

3 Likes

Similar circumstances occurred to me when I was struck from behind by a scooter and pushed into a 400-pound concrete barrier, sending my bike and me flying.

Bicycle helmets do help to prevent some unpleasant road rash, however I don’t really think they save the brain. My own did, too.

After all the early nonsense, including the other party’s absence from the first settlement hearing and the usual justifications of lack of funds, family obligations, etc., I recently settled the matter, 4 months later.

The second and last settlement meeting, which served as the tipping point for going to court, took place last Friday.
I did a great job of preparing my case, and the government mediator did a fantastic job of eliminating all the nonsense.

1 Like

An American cyclist broke his leg after he fell 4 meters into a ravine in New Taipei City.

Edit:

People can help Alec with financial expenses during recovery

1 Like

Maybe this should be in the “Slow Down” thread…

:smirk:

1 Like

It would be great to know the exact location of the accident. Has anyone noticed anything about this on Strava?

Pretty sure it’s this spot.

Long downhill section, then a sharp left, probably went through the gap before the wall.

Nice road, though.

Interestingly, no signs whatsoever to slow down.

3 Likes

:100:

4 Likes

It does look very similar.

It is just a creek in the mountain valley. It is pretty straight downhill, then a tight curve for a small bridge to the other side. So not a “ravine”.

Should have used a phone to watch the road ahead for curves, if they are not familiar with the area. Or drive more cautiously.

1 Like

Accidents happen, preparation is key, but brakes can fail, there might be potholes or stones, other distractions, like a fly in the eye… Of course speed is the main problem, I guess. Must have been quite fast, otherwise the rocks on the side of the road might have stopped him from going down.

Even if I check for curves on the GPS navigator while driving, I wouldn’t do the same on the bicycle, and I don’t know of anybody doing it. You need to adapt your speed and riding to the road conditions AND visibility. This is true to pretty much all vehicles but perhaps more important when you are pretty much naked on the top of a wheeled heap of plastic and metal.

The curve is obstructed by trees after a pretty straight downhill stretch.
Should definitely have some warning signs, but there is nothing.

It’s not straight, but a curve to the left that changes swiftly to the right… it is definitely tricky. Thank God they didn’t smash their bones against a rusted blue truck. Damn, knowing how people driving here, they were lucky not having a car in THEIR lane in that curve…

Strava segment (crash happened at km1.5): Sulfuric Descent! | Strava Ride Segment in New Taipei City, Taiwan

I did that road few months ago and thought it was dangerous. First part of the descent is through the sulfur valley and a concrete road. Then the road widens, surface becomes super smooth tarmac, while still being steep, and straight for a bike. It is just so easy to let the bike go and achieve some crazy speeds.

Does someone know any of the guys riding in the group?

1 Like

Reminds me of the old rounds of #picquiz

1 Like