Wear and tear on a car

I am working out my general expenses for my research on the Taiwan guide (as a general reference for LP for next time) and I want to include wear and tear on my car as I need to use it continually for over 2 months and drive over 10,000km. I will include the cost for a major tuneup before and after but what about wear and tear? Any ideas what would be a fair estimate?

Wear and tear is usually included in a per kim reimbursement. In other words, say you get US$0.30 per km, and your car can run for 300 kim on one tank of gas that you pay US$30 for. You are actually getting reimbursed for both gas (10 cents) and wear and tear (20 cents). That is how most companies do it, because wear and tear on a vehicle is very hard to itemize in any other way.

There are too many given things that could happen to work out a wear and tear estimate on your car, especially when we don’t understand the state of it. There are however things you can do to reduce the costs of wear and tear to any car though and although they may seem like common sense to some I’ll type out a few anyway.

1. Change the fuel, air and oil filters at least when specified by the service book, if not sooner with Taiwan’s dirty air and poor fuel quality.

2. Drive smoothly and consistently and try to avoid hard cornering, hard breaking and hard acceleration.

3. Check tyre pressures regularly and check for signs of wear, especially to the front tyres which do the steering on most cars. If the tread is worn unevenly across the flat of the tyres, then the ‘tracking’ will need adjusting. Do this before the tyre wears out. Tracking adjustment is a common necessity in Taiwan I have found as there are more than enough holes and bumps to jolt the suspension and steering out of place, yet many people fail to adjust the tracking in time to save the most wear to the tyres.

Oh, baby sitting time…sorry!

30p a mile.

I’m only after a very rough estimate. Can’t itemize anything as I am paid a lump sum. But I can ask for extra funding for things like airfare, hiring cars, special tour I need to take, etc. Gas is included under general expenses but I figure for tune-ups and wear and tear I should ask for extra or simply refuse to use my car and ask for money to rent one.

Tomas is 20 cents a km a guess or a genuine quote.

Lord Lucan, 30p, really? That would work out to around NT200,000 for 10,000km.

The US firm I work for pays me USD0.425 per mile when using my personal car. On top of that I claim toll charges, all other expences I take care of, though my Matiz uses no where near that amount of gas. :smiling_imp:

Thanks for the figure.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]I’m only after a very rough estimate. Can’t itemize anything as I am paid a lump sum. But I can ask for extra funding for things like airfare, hiring cars, special tour I need to take, etc. Gas is included under general expenses but I figure for tune-ups and wear and tear I should ask for extra or simply refuse to use my car and ask for money to rent one.

Tomas is 20 cents a km a guess or a genuine quote.

Lord Lucan, 30p, really? That would work out to around NT200,000 for 10,000km.[/quote]

That’s what I got in the UK, but come to think of it I was driving a 3 litre car and petrol was £75 a tank. Sorry, you are getting fuel separately.

I would check the Inland Revenue allowance. Then the US tax allowance. Then come up with something you think LP would think is reasonable. At the end of the day, even though I was paid a generous allowance my car wasn’t worth shit after I put 22k miles on it in nine months and your calculations need to reflect that. A mileage expensed private car is the cheapest option for a company - my nine month’s driving only cost them £6,500-odd whereas a company car would have been far far dearer. I lost four thousand quid on the sale value of the car. Never again. Company car next time.

I calculated 10k kilometres to be £1875 at 30p a mile. Reasonable in my opinion. Not NT$200k surely? More like NT$125k? (What the hell has happened to the Taiwan dollar!!!?)

Plus, my insurance went through the roof once I put unlimited-mileage business-use on it. Bah.

For inland revenue only…