Web pages that cannot be viewed in english

I’m talking about sites like youtube and yahoo that were originally only available in English, but when one tries to sign into them, they appear in Chinese. As far as I know yahoo isn’t available in English anymore, but youtube can be changed to English after a few clicks. Yahoo used to be available in English if one changed the tw to www. Is there a way around this problem?

Usually there’s a link to the English page. After clicking that link, your browser should default to that page.

But yes, it’s annoying. If I wanted the Chinese page, I would have gone to tw.google.com, not www.google.com!!

[quote=“Chris”]Usually there’s a link to the English page. After clicking that link, your browser should default to that page.

But yes, it’s annoying. If I wanted the Chinese page, I would have gone to tw.google.com, not google.com!![/quote]

I never saw the link at the top right for going back to US Yahoo before. I suppose I was looking for the word “English”.

[quote=“AAF”]I never saw the link at the top right for going back to US Yahoo before. I suppose I was looking for the word “English”.[/quote]Sometimes the language option is in Chinese, which isn’t too helpful. But most sites do have an option somewhere at the top. Youtube.com, google.com, yahoo.com, skype.com all take you to a Chinese site and all have an option at the top, which is then usually remembered via a cookie so it will stay in English. Sometimes they use a little Taiwan flag.

[quote=“Chris”]Usually there’s a link to the English page. After clicking that link, your browser should default to that page.

But yes, it’s annoying. If I wanted the Chinese page, I would have gone to tw.google.com, not google.com!![/quote]

At least with Google and other search sites, if you click on “Google in English” or whatever, it will store that preference in your computer for the next time.

Try computer software sites if you really want to get cheesed off. Microshaft and others have/had “smart” code that detected your country and diverted you to the page for the local language, though many are smartening up to how many English-speaking people there are in non-English countries. The only way to get to an English-language page is/was to use an anonymizer which makes the site think you’re in the US, not Taiwan (or wherever).

For Google, you can use:

www.google.com/ncr

which gives you the English language site no matter where you are.

Thanks. That is very useful. I’ve saved it in my browser.