Wedding/engagement/etc. rings

Hi all. Can anyone recommend a good place to get wedding bands like this?

I bet Taipei 101 shops have them… with various prices, from expensive to OH MY GOD!!!

Or give me a couple of minutes on a lathe and I can make one…

4 Likes

Are you serious? What material options do you have? :grin:

You would have to provide the material… I don’t have a bunch of gold sitting around. Though I will say you get your best money’s worth buying gold bullion and making a ring out of that (after alloying it with base metal to make it hard enough to not bend out of shape at the slightest touch)

I have a client that makes rings out of quarters. I bet tw coins would make some neat rings.can you do this on lathe?

4 Likes

Ooh I’d like one of those

1 Like

Wow. I didn’t even click on that link and Facebook are showing me related ads. Crazy

1 Like

Creepy world

I’m not sure what process they use to make it like this, perhaps they are folded over in a press then rolled into a ring shaped object…

I believe they make a hole in the middle of the coin and then bend the circle around

I guess I can use a lathe to do that… except I think for metal spinning you need a lathe that spins a lot faster than the typical metal lathe (they really can’t go that fast safely).

Or they may have used a press to do this…

If you just want a plain ring without any extra stuff on it, you can walk into any jewelry shop.

Also, the image you posted doesn’t look like a pure gold ring, which means you probably can find it at even more places, like an accessory stands in a mall for example.

1 Like

Your client could get tossed in jail over his hobby if he’s Stateside.

Looks like 18k. I’d try a department store

Basic wedding rings like that are folded and soldered, more intricate designs are cast.

As the title states…

Looking to buy an engagement ring in the New Taipei/Taipei area. Any recommended jewellers?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

To be honest, most seem to all stock the same, extremely marked up junk

1 Like

I’m sure Taipei 101 has what you are looking for, or most malls actually.

Bring money, lots of it.

Oh and by the way those rings have a resale of around 200 dollars or so, for a 3000 dollar ring. It has about 2 grams of gold per ring, and if you pawn it off it’s going to sell for scrap gold price (which is lower than spot price).

Rings like that are more about romance than logic. The entire jewelry industry is depressing, but in marriage its one of the times people dont dont mention how worthless or blood covered their purchases are. Let a couple rejoice in their poor decision…the ring i mean, not the marriage haha. Congratulations!

I kind of agree, unless youre spending huge money, its probably same shit different smell in taiwan. Half of us probably couldnt tell if we got a diamond or glass to be honest.

We waited to go back to canada and buy canadian diamond ring with certificate. Made us feel good. But we may very have gotten scammed for 40% more haha. If i had a do over, i would just pay a skilled craftsman same coin to make something from cheaper materials but have the value spent in giving the worker a fair price. I would love a wooden ring. If resale value is important, buy gold bullion/coins and wear a night market ring :slight_smile:

Someone suggested that I just offer to make rings for people for the spot price of the gold it contains plus 25%, but I don’t really have any goldsmithing experience, and I don’t know how I’d get the necessary trust to be working with gold.