Weekend flights to China starting soon

LOoks like plans are unfolding for weekend charter flights between Taiwan and China by the 12 airlines. And looks like they are planning to allow anyone to take them (that is ones that have valid visas) including people with foreign passports. When this happens , it wont be long before we have daily flights back and forth.

there is still some sticking point as to what to call these flights. Taiwan wants them called INTERNATIONAL flights. While China wants to label them DOMESTIC.

why dont they just call them TAIWAN/CHINA flights???

I doubt it.

While Taiwan indeed wants to call it international, China never calls it domestic. This is a little bit of green rubbish that floats around. In fact, Ma Yingjiu suggested calling them “cross strait,” which makes perfect sense, but CSB can’t have that while he is busy crusading against “China” in the names of companies.

China defines flights to Hong Kong and Macau as “international”.

Now, that’s very interesting. Wonder why they would do something like that?

I’m not an expert on airport operations, and can only speak as a traveler. But the sign-age typically points the way to the international terminals as: 国际,港澳台… while domestic flights are listed as guo-nei.

So, Beijing doesn’t seem to have a problem with something that’s general and unspecific. Hong Kong, Macau flights aren’t classified as domestic, and aren’t specifically classified as international.

As far as the flights go, I think it’ll be great if/when it happens. The next step would be the opening up of more classes of visas to mainland visitors. But I know better than to hold my breath on this.

I’m not an expert on airport operations, and can only speak as a traveler. But the sign-age typically points the way to the international terminals as: 国际,港澳台… while domestic flights are listed as guo-nei.

So, Beijing doesn’t seem to have a problem with something that’s general and unspecific. Hong Kong, Macau flights aren’t classified as domestic, and aren’t specifically classified as international.

As far as the flights go, I think it’ll be great if/when it happens. The next step would be the opening up of more classes of visas to mainland visitors. But I know better than to hold my breath on this.[/quote]

if you arent classified as a flight risk (that is to say you would not return to china) by both sides then i see no problem in you getting a visa. The term “you” is used loosely here, meaning “a person”

i read that the weekend flights will become a reality right after chinese new year. The sticking point now are CARGO FLIGHTS. China apparently has some issues with the exact terms of that operation, i dont know the details.

The other thing is that i hope they will allow north china flights to come over cheju airspace rather then having to fly all the way down to HK airspace and then UP to taiwan. Waste of time and fuel .

tommy525,

I wish we could set a reminder on this thread… :slight_smile:

Again, I really hope you’re right and that this time policies are actually being planned… but I would not be surprised, at all, if this plan didn’t materialize until after the 2008 presidential elections.

[quote=“cctang”]tommy525,

I wish we could set a reminder on this thread… :slight_smile:

Again, I really hope you’re right and that this time policies are actually being planned… but I would not be surprised, at all, if this plan didn’t materialize until after the 2008 presidential elections.[/quote]

im bettin these weekend flights start in 2007

I predict that it won’t happen until MYJ becomes president and then he’ll take all the credit for the hard work behind this great historic event, cementing his legacy like Lien Chan in Chinese history.

Surely they HAVE to be classified as international flights. Otherwise, anyone would be able to go from Taiwan to China without any sort of visa.

PRC nationals already need a visa in order to visit Hong Kong. Are those flights/border crossings international or domestic?

PRC nationals already need a visa in order to visit Hong Kong. Are those flights/border crossings international or domestic?[/quote]

why not call them TRANS REGION or REGIONAL transits

As far as the flights go, I think it’ll be great if/when it happens. The next step would be the opening up of more classes of visas to mainland visitors. But I know better than to hold my breath on this.[/quote]

When I wanted to confirm my flight to Hong Kong from Beijing, I was told by the airport people that it was “not a domestic flight”. When I pressed them on it, they said it was considered an “international flight”. When I brought up the political considerations of such terminology, they just shrugged.

But there is no question at this point on which sphere of influence HK or Macau is under. Taiwan is of course a different story…

so what you think? willl the weekend charters start soon after the current flights during chinese new year or what??

[quote=“tommy525”]

The other thing is that i hope they will allow north china flights to come over cheju airspace rather then having to fly all the way down to HK airspace and then UP to Taiwan. Waste of time and fuel .[/quote]

Doesn’t this already happen? You can fly from Shanghai to Taipei via some Korean island and it’s cheaper and quicker. Haven’t done it myself, but know someone who has.

[quote=“Lord Lucan”][quote=“tommy525”]

The other thing is that i hope they will allow north china flights to come over cheju airspace rather then having to fly all the way down to HK airspace and then UP to Taiwan. Waste of time and fuel .[/quote]

Doesn’t this already happen? You can fly from Shanghai to Taipei via some Korean island and it’s cheaper and quicker. Haven’t done it myself, but know someone who has.[/quote]

now i dont know everything of course. But i continue to understand that the cross strait flights HAVE to overfly the HK airspace (even if only to skirt its outer parameter). So far NONstop cross strait flights must do this, even to PEKING and SHANGHAI.

However, Far Eastern has several flights a week that fly to CHEJU island, and you can CHANGE PLANES to fly onwards to Shanghai (and peking perhaps) with a chinese airline.

But i think progress will be made on this issue when the weekend charters start. It makes no sense to detour all the way down to HK airspace when flying to taiwan from northern china.

its taiwan thats being careful on cross strait flights. china is ready to have daily china/taiwan frlghts from all points in china :slight_smile:

afterall ANY taiwanese can visit China, but chinese cant come to taiwan .

so CNY is over, WHERE are the weekend charters?

Well basically it is a choice between economics or Taiwanese dignity. Obviously economics is not winning on this front.