Weekend flights to China starting soon

The economy is synonymous with Taiwanese dignity. Hence dollar diplomacy.

What did Clinton say again? I forget, but it was pithy.

Oh no! You held your breath? :help:

Is HKG-PVG the single most expensive air corridor by distance in the world? I would love to know…

the flights when do they start?

The day I become King of China.

There you have it. China wants to label flights to Taiwan not as Domestic and not as International but in the same way they label flights to HK and Macau. As AC says several posts later, we all know whose sphere of influence Macau and HK fall under. By the way AC you label it about economics or Taiwan’s dignity, but won’t it only help China if direct flights began? I mean, until Mainland China allows more PRC tourists to visit Taiwan most of the flights will be full of only Taiwanese going to China.

How do you know it isn’t ROC that is impeding PRC tourist from coming to Taiwan?

[quote=“ac_dropout”]How do you know it isn’t ROC that is impeding PRC tourist from coming to Taiwan?[/quote] I read somewhere recently that the Taiwan goverment is doing everything they can to bring more tourists here. They essentially just recently said, the ball is in China’s court. AC, I think you even said somewhere recently that the PRC is most likely waiting for a Pro-Unification government to get elected to shine this economic light upon them and not the current DPP government. The way I read it is basically China is holding everything up and then there is the KMT (Chinese Nationalist Party) that keeps trying to put a spin on it and confuse everyone into believing that the DPP only cares about Indepence, etc, and is hurting the economy by holding this up. Ahem, most people can read through the mess.

Do you know the ROC policy on issuing tourist visas for individuals originating from the PRC?

Does anyone else think the airlines are holding this up, or is it purely political?

My person theory is that it is a plot to keep the HKG airport in the money :smiley:

My person theory is that it is a plot to keep the HKG airport in the money :smiley:[/quote]

Yes. I’m very unimpressed with that new airport, especially as it meant the end of Cathay’s In-town Check-in which was great. And FREE. Why oh why can’t I fly Hongqiao to Taipei Chungshan? God hates me.

[quote=“Lord Lucan”]

Yes. I’m very unimpressed with that new airport, especially as it meant the end of Cathay’s In-town Check-in which was great. And FREE. Why oh why can’t I fly Hongqiao to Taipei Zhongshan? God hates me.[/quote]

You still can check-in in-town, you just need to use the express train to the airport … all airlines can be checked-in at the HK train station …

HK airport is making revenue/money from the airport taxes and services that support the route to China from Taipei via HK.

The airlines have schedules that are fine tuned to accomadate the route. Changing airline schedules is a pain in the ass, and costs money. Airlines make money moving people, the more times the move them and the further they move them, the better for them.
Then you got DHL, FEDEX and air freight forwarders

Does anybody know how much money will be saved flying direct for travellers?

Sure the PRC and ROC are posturing and trying to make ground on this

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Lord Lucan”]

Yes. I’m very unimpressed with that new airport, especially as it meant the end of Cathay’s In-town Check-in which was great. And FREE. Why oh why can’t I fly Hongqiao to Taipei Zhongshan? God hates me.[/quote]

You still can check-in in-town, you just need to use the express train to the airport … all airlines can be checked-in at the HK train station …[/quote]

I know but it’s not the same - there used to be places in Kowloon and on the Island and you could check in the day before. Sometimes I don’t take the train either. And the desks there are not real check-in desks, anything out of the ordinary and they can’t handle it.