Weekend Jaunts - Hiking & Swimming

That’s a “sound” suggestion, Sandman. I’ve seen local hikers clap loudly as they hike. Now I know why they do it.

[quote=“Tomas”]You may also wish to wear boots that cover the ankles, and strong canvas trousers, though that is tough to put up with in this heat.[/quote] Another local practice I’ve noticed: wear rubber galoshes. Despite protection from snakes, it’s not a fashion statement I care to mimic. :unamused:

Funny you should mention that. Just last night Chung mentioned using gaiters to guard against snakes. I wonder if lightweight ones are available here? I’ve only ever seen totally unsuitable heavy winter-weight ones in the shops here. This would allow you to still wear shorts. As for the shirtless part, I know that would probably scare most things away, but snakes? :wink:

Then how exactly do you explain the weird woman I met on the trail who was clapping loudly…and walking barefoot?

Sandy, my rippling pecs and broad shoulders earn me nothing but excited giggles and lustful looks…from the grandmas who see me on the trail. The hard-cut six-pack hiding underneath my actual stomach is also a main attraction :wink: .

I have one of those, which I bought in Taipei last year (at Core Pacific, of all places!), but I’ve never yet taken it out of the house. I’d never even considered taking it with me on a hike, but after that bite, I will probably start to carry it around in my backpack when I hit the mountain trails. In fact, I didn’t even think about it at first, but was wondering whether I ought to go out and buy a stout walking stick (troublesome to carry on the scooter) or just pick something up along the way each time I’m out – and then, last night, I suddenly remembered the baton and thought “Ah yes, that’s just the thing!”

On the subject of snakes, I get very upset by the automatic response of so many Taiwanese that when they see a snake they have to try to kill it, by crushing it with a rock or whatever else comes to hand, and if they have a chance to run one over on the road, they certainly will. Snakes are rarely a threat to humans, they’re a vital part of the ecology, and they’re lovely animals that deserve to be left alone. As Sandman says, unless you accidentally touch or brush against one that you haven’t seen, they really don’t pose any danger – indeed, your chances of getting bitten by a snake are no higher than those of being struck by lightning.

I have only ever seen one (live) snake in Taiwan. It was near Chengtian Chan Temple in Tucheng. It was only about 15 cms long!! It looked just like a little stick. I have seen a few dead ones squashed on the road though and they were a lot bigger.

For some detailed information about snakes in Taiwan have a look at this: Snakes and Mountain Bikers in Taiwan

Last month my brother-in-law, who fancies himself something of a Nantou shuai ge, found a 5 foot snake near the house. One hand pinning it down with a stick, he used to other to phone a mate from the volunteer fire brigade. Then the 3 of us bagged it (one man holds bag, one man holds snake, I stand nearby and give instructions) and fireman took it off to release in an idyllic glen away from houses. Attitudes seem to be changing.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]Snakes are rarely a threat to humans, they’re a vital part of the ecology, and they’re lovely animals that deserve to be left alone[/quote]I’ve been told that thousands of poisonous snakes were released into the mountains by the Japanese when Japan surrendered Taiwan after its defeat in WWII. Apparently, the Japanese were conducting research on snake venom in Taiwan during the occupation. So many of the poisonous snakes found in Taiwan today are in fact not endemic to the local ecology. Has anyone else heard this story? Can anyone corroborate that?

That’s splendid, Salmon – your brother-in-law deserves a pat on the back, a barrel of Taiwan beer, and an evening with the pole dancer or betel-nut beauty of his choice.

I once caught a baby viper in the study of my fourth-floor apartment in New Garden City. It was very scared and aggressive when I tried to catch it, but with the aid of a broom I managed to nudge it into a bucket and then take it outside to release it. It’s hard to imagine how it could have got into the apartment, but two other residents in the building also reported finding baby vipers in their apartments at around the same time.

Incubus, the version I heard was that the snakes were all released on Yangmingshan. I don’t know if they’ve subsequently spread to other parts of the island, or if it’s just Yangmingshan that has this unique addition to its resident fauna. Which makes me wonder: Just how much do snakes move around? Do they tend to stay in the area where they’re born unless they are transported elsewhere by external forces?

I am planning to do a trek this weekend. I am open to treking at any level of difficulty, not too simple but from medium to tough.

As I am new to Taipei, the only area I know about is Yamingshan.

Anybody interested in joining me?

the maps arrived. I spent last night in the hills of Nantou following day-long mountain-bikable loops along tracks and minor roads with side trips up valleys to hidden lakes. Found a tunnel carrying water down from Wushe to Sun Moon Lake that emerges at ground level in a tapering 500m long loch-like reservoir far from any major road before going underground again. Found a place called Hairy Crab Cave (

I got to go because the time was just right. It was Sir Donald Bradman and his wife, Okami, and I. It was really nice. I may put my pictures up somewhere on the internet from the trip. Then Sir Donald Bradman and I met up with Iris and Rascal and kicked some Pub Bowl Boo-tay later that evening after a soak in the hot springs.

The mountains around Mucha are crawling with snakes in the summer. I see one almost everytime I go out. I even saw one on the dikes one night.

Actually, now I really don’t like to go hiking in summer, in Mucha anyways, as I’ve seen just too many off them up close. I’ve stepped on them, had them slither past me on the trail, even had them slither between my legs as I was going up a set of stairs. Nothing like having a two meter long green snake whip past you and then turn to give you the eye as the sun is fading fast on the distant horizon.

There’s a great 3D modelling package called CompeGPS we use in free-flying. Manages GPS tracklogs, waypoints, routes etc. Imports many map formats (including vector maps) and digital terrain models. You can lay 2D graphical maps on top of the terrain model and render scenes in 3D, play back and analyze tracklogs… lots of uses. Download CompeGPS from (guess where) http://www.compegps.com. There’s a MrSID photo-orthographic format map of most of Taiwan here

Once you have CompeGPS installed, load the MrSID map and zoom in on some area you’re interested in, or download some waypoints or a track from your GPS. There’s a menu item “Maps\Download maps for this area”, select “NIMA 3D map, DEM 1km/pixel”. CompeGPS will try to download a digital elevation map for that area. If you can’t connect (it’s sporadic) let me know and I’ll send you the files.
You can see a sample of the 3D output here

I did download and import the maps from Land MOI, but couldn’t get the scale or calibration right yet. Might have to go stoneage, buy the paper maps, scan and import them.

Other useful packages for GPS users and/or would-be 3D map makers are OziExplorer and Kashmir3D.

Heading to Wulei for the first time this weekend by car from Taoyuan. Is there a place to rent camping gear/site there? If so what should I bring (what is not included)? Also, does anyone know of a Taipei road map that is English and avail. oline. Thanks!

Completed the East-West Expedition organized by the Yangmingshan National Park this past weekend. Highly recommend it if you’re a hiking enthusiast. You first buy a passport from the visitors center ($100), and you’re ready to do the rubbings that you need to collect in the passport. The trek covers 10 peaks within the YMS national park. At the top of each peak is a wooden stake with a character carved into the wood. You rub the character onto the appropriate page in the passport with a pencil/crayon. After you complete all 10, you can get a certificate. Though in theory one can do the whole thing in one day (16 hours according to the book), it took me three trips to cover all 10 peaks, which stretch from the eastern border of the park in the valley near the National Palace Museum to the western border in Beitou.