Weekend trip

I want to get away somewhere for a few days next month. Just fly somewhere and do something different for a while. I’ll probably skive one or two days from work so will have 3/4 days for the trip. Any reccomendations?

These are places i have been thinking about

Jinmen - it looks really interesting to me, but most Taiwanese tell me not to go there.
Green Island - doesn’t appeal to me that much but i’ve heard good things about it.
Singapore - never been
Kuala Lumpar - same
Phillipines - they have really cheap flights now
Macau?

Here’s a link to some of my Kinmen images and might help you getting an impression of Kinmen and neighboring islets … the biggest town (capital) has what Taiwan proper has, convenience stores, restaurants, coffee shops … and you can rent a scooter to drive around the island.
We stayed at a renovated traditional inner courtyard farm house, was nice and close to the beach (5 min. walk)

You can visit the Kaoliang factory if I’m correct, and the disused military tunnels and other war memorabilities … take a ferry to ‘Small’ Kinmen and drive around by mountainbike, eat Kaoliang ice cream (yummy) …

We spent 5 days/4nights there and I must sat I liked it … especially at night with some Belgian and German beer from 7-11 in the courtyard of our lodging …

The Kinmen trip is one I’ve been scheming to make myself…thanks BP for the additional info.

I highly recommend the Singapore get-a-way. And you absolutely owe it to yourself and your future story telling to stay at Raffles for your trip. 3 - 4 days there would be perfect.

Kinmen is fantastic. I was there over 10/10 in 2005 for 5 days, and even though it was a holiday weekend, there were very few tourists. Fascinating history on the island, and the village architecture is stunning.

3/4 days is good for Singapore and KL…both quite interesting, but they might be a bit far from Taiwan to make it worthwhile. Flight time is around 5 hours I think, plus the 2 hour check-in at the airport, so you’re pretty much wasting a day in airports/airplanes.

Because they got no clue, don’t listen to them. It is an interesting place to visit.

Here is some thread about the islands: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=9302

KL is nice, cheap and diverse.

Check out these threads on KL/Malaysia:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=58695
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=25596

I lways meant to visit Jinmen but never got it together. I would check out Orchid Island before Green Island, it’s a bit quieter. Also consider Penghu, it’s quite different to the rest of Taiwan. You can fly or take the ferry tp Penghu from Budai, Tainan or Kaohsiung.

http://travelsinasia.com/Taiwan/Lanyu.html

http://travelsinasia.com/Taiwan/Penghu.html

Reviving this thread.

Want to know recommendation on weekend trip especially on long weekends.

Hongkong is a short travel. Good for a weekend.
Manila is another one. But I’m probably biased.

I probably gonna do Japan one soon, but not sure which city.

Singapore is a bit far with 5 hour flight. So, I’m not sure if that’s worth it.