Weights!

You can look around but trust me, those are the best prices you’ll get. I know because I was thinking of ordering some for my gym or possibly importing weights myself. So I keep track of local sporting goods and prices.

You won’t believe what most local places charge for a set of Olympic plates and a bar: NT$60,000 is the norm. Benches usually go for around NT$30,000. Compared to that, $15,000 for a set of plates and $9000 for a decent bench is a steal.

If I were you though, I’d seriously consider this power rack:
goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11090513979724

It’s only NT$8,700 and you get a pull down station. That plus a separate bench would be a better deal IMO than the bench above.

Your other option is what you’ve already found: the youth weight sets with the screw-on collars. Yeah, they suck and you can’t put up much weight but they’re a bargain compared to Olympic sets here. Good luck.

Thanks again! Yea it seems those prices are pretty solid. Ive never ordered from that site. Ill have my GF look at it tomorrow and tell me what the deal is on shipping and what not for it.

That power rack is about perfect! I think you are very right abotu getting the power rack and a bench. I was having such a hard time jsut finding weights I didnt even think abotu that. Safety on Squats and a pull down is nice. It also has a pulley ont he bottom too. Im for sure game for that!

thanks again for the link…most helpful! I jsut finished my last dose of Whey, so thats next on the to do list hah.

You can look around but trust me, those are the best prices you’ll get. I know because I was thinking of ordering some for my gym or possibly importing weights myself. So I keep track of local sporting goods and prices.

You won’t believe what most local places charge for a set of Olympic plates and a bar: NT$60,000 is the norm. Benches usually go for around NT$30,000. Compared to that, $15,000 for a set of plates and $9000 for a decent bench is a steal.

If I were you though, I’d seriously consider this power rack:
goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11090513979724

It’s only NT$8,700 and you get a pull down station. That plus a separate bench would be a better deal IMO than the bench above.

Your other option is what you’ve already found: the youth weight sets with the screw-on collars. Yeah, they suck and you can’t put up much weight but they’re a bargain compared to Olympic sets here. Good luck.[/quote]

I’m close to Hsinchu and have resigned myself to the fact that our poxy little town has no gym and I’m too damn lazy to ride into Hsinchu everyday to get some exercise. I’ve got a good home based workout program but need some weights or resistance bands in order to get started.

We’re only here for a few more months but I want to get started on am exercise program to help me lose some weight so if you’ve got unused weights kicking around or if you know where I can buy some PLEASE let me know!!

Cheers!!

Thanks for that - I tried looking around at some of the threads I thought would be related but had a hard time finding anything relelvant :notworthy:

I’ll take a look at your links.

No prob! Check Taiwanted regularly too, or put a wanted ad there.

buy.yahoo.com.tw/gdsale/gdsale.asp?gdid=1972265

Sometimes it’s easier just to shop these things online. You only need basic Chinese reading ability (or someone to assist) and an atm card. :sunglasses:

I want to buy either new or used:

1. Adjustable weight bench for both incline and regular bench press with leg/preacher curl attachment
  2. 45, 35, 25, 10 and 5 (lbs) plates
  3. 28.5mm (1-1/8") D x 86-1/8" L bar and dumbbell bars
  4. curl bar

If anyone knows of an online shop in Taiwan that sells this type of equipment that would be great as well!

Cheers

shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=stor … e=1&show=0

All the weights and bars, are on this page, and if you go to page 3 there’s a couple of benches. The highest plates they have are 15kg though.

Edit: This is a better link:
shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … _NO=CBAFBT

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=84920

here is a thread from Forumosa about buying weights and stuff. I bought a home gym 3 years ago from SunPro in Taipei. It has been awesome. When negotiating the price(you can) tell them you saw (the same :wink:) model on the internet for cheaper and they will lower their price. Worked for me. Also most weight sets are 150lbs. I suggest you get one up to 200lbs for a better workout.

Cheers for the links and info! I appreciate it!

Hey, I’m looking for a gym in Taipei that has free weights. Just a simple gym that doesn’t cost huge amounts in monthly membership fees. Does anyone know of one? I need a gym that has a power rack for squatting (not a fixed smith one) i.e. squatcage.com/wp-content/upl … r_rack.jpg. Maybe there are student gyms that an outsider can pay a little to use? Hope someone can help!

Thanks

taipeigym.com.tw/

Also in that neighborhood is the NTU sports center. It has what you mentioned but is pretty busy in the evenings, fine in the day though. 5000 for six months.

that sounds good, is it possible to pay monthly or is it 6 months upfront?

As I remember it… it’s 9k for a year, 5k for six months, 1200 for a month or 300 for a day.

Don’t know if it’s possible to buy this in the Taichung area, or anywhere in Taiwan, but if anyone knows how I can get hold of :

An Olympic Barbell
and Weights to go with it (5kg, 10kg, 20kg/25kg)

that would be great :wink:

A bonus wouild be “Fractional Plates” in addition to the Weights above.

The only option I’ve come up with at the moment is getting them shipped from overseas, which I’d rather avoid…

In hope,

Darren

try formosa fitness. They might be able to help you out.
I know they sell kettlebells.

[quote=“suntex01”]try formosa fitness. They might be able to help you out.
I know they sell kettlebells.[/quote]

Thanks for the mention. I’ve thought about trying to sell Olympic barbell sets here but the market isn’t quite ready for it IMO. Maybe one day…

Quick question:

I see lots of free weights around here labeled with “P”, I.G. 20P. They feel like pounds. Are they just mislabeled with P instead of lbs.?

[quote=“darren13”]Don’t know if it’s possible to buy this in the Taichung area, or anywhere in Taiwan, but if anyone knows how I can get hold of :

An Olympic Barbell
and Weights to go with it (5kg, 10kg, 20kg/25kg)

that would be great :wink:

A bonus wouild be “Fractional Plates” in addition to the Weights above.

The only option I’ve come up with at the moment is getting them shipped from overseas, which I’d rather avoid…

In hope,

Darren[/quote]
I have sets of Olympic bumpers with plates for sale. One set was sold, I have two left I think:

The price is NT25,00 and that’s firm. These aren’t available anywhere else in Taiwan and they weren’t easy for me to get.