Weird Food in Taiwan

Another subjective question (what is weird?), I know, but I am interested…

What is the weirdest food and drink you have had since coming to Taiwan?

My list comprises of:

pigs heart, lung, skin, ears, trotters
chickens blood, heart, liver, feet
pigeon
wild boar
ostrich
frog spit in coconut milk (a dessert - v nice)
sparrow spit in coconut milk (a dessert - just as nice)

and last and not least - lager with ice cubes - SO WEIRD!!

There are probably others, that my wife did not tell me the truth about what I was eating and drinking!

I love chicken feet and pig’s intestine, i can’t get enough of it…

yep, taiwanese eat anything and everything, you name it, we got it!

chicken balls.

What’s wrong with or weird about wild boar and ostrich?

In many countries wild meat (boar, deer etc.) is considered a delicatesse (sp?) and ostrich is also finding it’s place on the menu in many places.

Strange thing though that people here always get shocked when I tell them I love rabbit meat …

My favorite is fish intestines on a stick, but it is good

I’d also say some of the different bhuddist fungi, but I’ve never been able to figure out specific names for them. Healthy tho’ I guess or hope

Never been able to figure the name for the steel wool pork for breakfast either…anyone know?

I think that weird foods have no bearing on how edible. Many of these require extreme culinary skills to get them to be so edible. I’d take a can of congee over chef boy ardee anytime. Or a spread of fish guts over an oscar meyer weiner.

Woodcock on toast. Roast your woodcock whole on a slice of toast. Eat the woodcock, spread the entrails on the toast and eat that. Finally, bash its head in with a spoon and eat the brain.
Yum!

Fried ants

[quote=“sandman”]Woodcock on toast. Roast your woodcock whole on a slice of toast. Eat the woodcock, spread the entrails on the toast and eat that. Finally, bash its head in with a spoon and eat the brain.
Yum![/quote]You roast your woodcock !?! That cooks all the taste out of it
It’s best raw, but if you’re squemish about that, you can bash it on the head with a spoon first to stun it.

Something my husband ate called “Urine Fish Balls.”

[quote=“MajikthiseAndVroomfondel”][quote=“sandman”]Woodcock on toast. Roast your woodcock whole on a slice of toast. Eat the woodcock, spread the entrails on the toast and eat that. Finally, bash its head in with a spoon and eat the brain.
Yum![/quote]You roast your woodcock !?! That cooks all the taste out of it
It’s best raw, but if you’re squemish about that, you can bash it on the head with a spoon first to stun it.[/quote]
My god, you are disgusting! That’s gross!:wink:
Actually, I should have said “sear” rather than “roast.” I agree that the blood does need to be running and that the entrails should be barely warm and not cooked. But you do need the skin to be brown and crisp.
Must stop … I’m starting to drool.

The weirdest stuff I’ve eaten here has consisted of quite ordinary ingredients cooked up in innovative combinations in my own kitchen.

You probably wouldn’t want to be my dinner guest unless you have a very strong stomach.

The “steel wool” pork one eats at breakfast is called “ba so” in Taiwanese. I don’t know about the Mandarin. I love that stuff!
You can also buy it made from beef or fish as well, although I have only eaten the pork (to the best of my knowledge!).

I love the food here. You can look at it and have no idea what it’s made from…Like blindman’s bluff.

I ate bees here one time at a woman’s 80th birthday party. In China i once ate dragonflies.

A lot of the offal that is eaten here, testicles etc. I would probably eat at home (NZ) anyway, having grown up in rural parts.

Hmmmm… I only like the balls of a certain species of mammal. :wink:

But, balls aren’t that unusual. In the mid-west US, many people eat what they call Rocky Mountain Oysters, which are bulls balls. They even have a whole event around it every year, called the “Testicle Festival.” :smiley:

Other than eating chou dofu… (which I think is weird enough since they call it “stinky dofu” to begin with. Anything for which you have to use that descriptor for should not be eaten)… I think the whole congealed pigs blood on a stick, dipped in crushed peanuts and slathered with spicy sauce is a weird one.

Though, I’d rather eat that then the stinky dofu.

Oh… it’s not necessarily weird, just different… but, I must say I was a bit surprised the first time I dipped the ladle into the soup at my out-laws place and came up with half a chicken head, sans eyes. :shock: But, I’m now used to it… I just re-ladle (is that a word?) to avoid any parts I can recognize. :mrgreen:

Rice Bug butts, jellied frogs, and BBQ sparrows!
YUM YUM

Keep in mind that Taiwan used to be a poor country, I grew up in Taiwan til 80s, although I haven’t gone through famine, my parents have, and they had to use whatever resources available for foods and we managed to turn many into delicacies. There’re only a few things I wouldn’t eat at all, such as chiken kidney, livers of all sorts (taste and polluted nature of Taiwan’s air), and certain seafoods.

You can count on the fingers of one hand the things that I wouldn’t eat here. They are: meat; seafood; most locally processed foods; locally grown vegetables that are not certified as organic; and stinky beancurd.

Cricket stuffed w/sweet potato
public.fotki.com/Shimmertje/alis … 60033.html

Intestine stuffed w/lotus seed
public.fotki.com/Shimmertje/alis … 60053.html

Also moray eel, rooster testicles, and baby bees.

I had scorpion in Singapore but Taiwan has topped that.

The moray eel is good…a bit boney though.