Weird phone call from bank

Got a weird call today from my bank asking me what my job was and why I have money on my account. very odd question given that bank account only has 888twd on it…

Suspicious?

ask them for the the dictionary meaning of the word “bank”

7 Likes

The banks are really getting into the whole anti money laundering thing, and foreigners with small balances are nice low hanging fruit that they can pretend to audit to show they are serious about money laundering.

So it could be legit. But generally they send a letter, a phone call could be faked. I would ask for their name and contact number at the bank and double check before you give out info.

5 Likes

guess i’ll be sure to go over there and tell them that tomorrow.

1 Like

Tell them you weren’t able to find a copy of Internet Explorer 3.0, so you couldn’t get their online banking to work to transfer it out.

18 Likes

Did they speak English?

1 Like

I think most banks require a minimum of 1000 nt , could that be the reason?

1 Like

I dont keep talking to them .till I have a registered something in my mail. Too much wastes of time. Scams.yes, somes cams are actually the banks…

1 Like

They did send me something asking for more info by email today. Still feels oddly invasion of privacy-ish to me but I guess I’ll go there and just close the account since I barely use it anyway.

To protect all transactions of customer accounts security and according to the Article 5 of “Regulations Governing Anti-Money Laundering of Financial Institutions” by Financial Supervisory Commission, The customer due diligence (CDD) should include ongoing and periodic review.

We’ll still have the claw machine shops. There are about 10 empty ones within a block or two of my house, but I’m sure they are always very profitable for all the black Benzs that pull up and have people handing out 30cm stacks of thousand dollar bills pressed between their hands to the people in the line of other black Benzs. Impossible the cops aren’t in on it because they do it in broad daylight without a care in the world. There’s another that just has a guy sitting at a small table all day getting quick visits from people in cars. I wonder what he’s doing. :thinking:

3 Likes

yup, a lot of scammers out there

1 Like

For what it’s worth I’ve had the occasional weird calls. One time they suggested I had the wrong account type and it needed to be changed.

I think the occasional brain fart from management might come down regarding fornuh accounts, and the troops call around trying to pretend they give a shit. Dunno. Sounds like @dan2006 nailed it above.

1 Like

I used to get calls every month from the bank because I would send money into my account and they always wanted to know where it came from.

After complaining a lot and explaining that at the end of every month, money was going to be sent to my account from the same sender, they decided to leave me alone.

1 Like

And those guys can march right into the bank with thousands of NT of coins and the bank won’t ask a single question. Also see all the business owners that walk in with a literal sack of cash and the bank couldn’t care less. I know this because I have a bank employee as a friend that told me stories over the years.

I had a bank account that I never used and had $100 in it and they felt it prudent to send me a know your customer letter asking all my private information a few years ago.

1 Like