Weird Visit from an Immigration Officer

I think those are what they call “household visits”. I thought they had revised that already.

[quote]“The legislature amended the household inspection regulations in the Statute Governing Duties of the Police (警察勤務條例) in a bid to lessen the burden of the police and to avoid violations of human rights,” KMT caucus whip Kuo Su-chun (郭素春) told a press conference.

“However, the NPA is going to resume household inspections soon, although they are now called `home visits,’” she said. “A police officer can visit a family when he is on duty and armed.”

Kuo was referring to the NPA’s draft regulation on “home visits” publicized late last month. The draft was proposed after the legislature abolished the previous 60-year-old household inspection system on June 5.

In the past, the inspection system was often used as an excuse for the police to enter people’s homes and collect information about ordinary people, Vice Minister of the Interior Chien Tai-lang (簡太郎) said during a preliminary review in March.

The June amendment stipulated that the police should carry out visits as a measure to “prevent crime, serve the people and conduct public security investigations.”

The draft regulation of the “home visit” measure states that the police should make visits during the day and when they are on duty, but they should first seek permission from the homeowner.
The draft, however, does not specify the meaning of “on duty,” which prompted the caucus to question whether the police may visit a household when they are on patrol, during which time the police carry guns.

Kuo further questioned whether the new measure was meant as a way to collect information on a family’s political affiliation ahead of the upcoming elections.

The draft regulation stipulates that the police may record the resident’s name, address, occupation, ID number, contact information and “other necessary items needed for the police to execute official business.”

[/quote]

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2007/10/12/2003382759

Another point of view, from a Chen Kung University professor:

[quote]The recent amendment of the Regulations for Home Visits as a Police Duty shows that if Taiwan wants to implement genuine rule of law, it still has a long way to go. Article 6, Section 2 of the regulations on home visits says that if, in case of a home visit, the police do not identify themselves in accordance with the rules, residents have the right to refuse them entrance.

But people always have the right to deny the police entrance to their home.

When they see a rule like that, people start to wonder: Can it be that we cannot refuse the police entrance if they identify themselves in accordance with regulations?

The answer, of course, is no: They still don’t have to let the police in.

Constitutional Interpretation No. 535 of the Council of Grand Justices explains clearly that “the police shall limit checking authority to public transportation, public places or other places where danger exists or may exist according to reasonable and objective judgment.”

When there is no threat or danger, a country that calls itself a human rights-respecting nation, like Taiwan does, cannot allow the police to come into people’s homes while armed.
[/quote]
http://www.atebe.com.tw/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2487&Itemid=137
Unless, of course, we furriners are out of the loop…

Last time I went home (Belgium) I wanted to change my old drivers license for a brand new European model … I couldn’t because I was not registered in the registry of my home town … I said I would register and then they could give me one … they said that it would not be possible as long as police had not checked in to verify I really lived there and that it could take up to two weeks before they came … by that time my vacation was long over so, not possible … anyways, for me no official recent documents (like needed PARC documents) as long as they (police) can’t verify my address … bummer

This happened to me back in 1998 and it was very very funny. I work as a freelance broadcaster and I was in the middle of a live piece for the CBC/Radio-Canada and they rang at my door. Well because I was on air I didn’t answer and they started banging at the door. So in the middle of piece which was live I just got up and answered the door, when they came in they saw the mic and started asking em questions, I told them i was live on the air and the mic is still on and everything they are saying was being feed to a studio in Toronto, and then going directly on-air. You should have seen there faces. They ran and never came back again. Two hours later i went to the Imm Office and told them about this and also filed an official complaint with the Foreign Ministry and the CBC back in Canada also launched one with the ROC office in Toronto. Seven days later I got a letter of apology from the then Minister of Foreign Affairs Yuan Yeh Chin-feng. When I moved back to TW a few months ago from Beijing where I spent 8 years, I had to apply for an ARC as a journalist. I think my name is still on file over what happened more than 10 years before, because when I told them i was here in the late 90s, after they saw my name I got the resident visa the next day.

I once lived in a 12 story apt in Taipei that was full of one room studio apts. And mostly populated by club girls and the occasional gangster. The police used to raid the place regularly and check up on random rooms all the time. Everytime the local fuzz came over to my place (I only got one officer cuz they didnt think I was a threat) I would invite the dude to have a few shots of whiskey with me. He came back a few more times, asked a few more questions, had a few more shots of whiskey and that was that. Report on me filed and thats that.

Yeah, that reminds me of the cop who busted me for working illegally about 13 years ago. I ended up as a guest at his wedding a couple years later. :laughing:

Wow, thank you so much for sharing all your precious experiences and advice. I feel more welcomed here in Taiwan with your feedbacks…

Luckily the officer hasn’t come back to check on me again so far…

Thanks again.

Until about three years ago the local police were mandated to check the family residency of all homes. Simply knock on the door and ask about who lived there and make sure the ID address checked out with the ID card. They stopped it as it was just a time consuming ridiculous endeavor left over from Japanese occupation.
My advice: If someone shows up, you are not home. If they know you are, don’t answer the door. This is a scam. If immigration really wants to talk to you, they will appear at the end of your class at your classroom. If you don’t work, they will send a registered letter. If you suspect that someone is waiting for you outside your classroom, drop a dime and get your boss or manager there before you let out class. This classroom thing has only happened to me once and it turned out absolutely innocuous. Checked my ARC and thanked me profusely. Gave me her card and invited me to use their information services if I ever had any questions. To this day, I have her number in my cell phone and would not not hesitate to use it if needed.
When I first arrived, it was unnerving to have three cops standing outside my home door wanting information. It was only later that I understood that they were just doing their thing and would soon move on to the next door. Doesn’t happen anymore. Be careful. You don’t need to answer the door.