Weird: What does 福利品 mean?

此商品為福利品非全新機

I see this a lot on PChome listings. Wondering if it means reconditioned or refurbished or secondhand or what? Can’t find out what they mean exactly.

K

[quote=“ilikecoffee”]此商品為福利品非全新機

I see this a lot on PChome listings. Wondering if it means reconditioned or refurbished or secondhand or what? Can’t find out what they mean exactly.

K[/quote]
Apparently you’re not the only one wondering what this means; native Chinese speakers also ask online what this phrase means (here and here). According to the answers given, it seems to mean that the item is a floor or display model, so it may include slight cosmetic damage and therefore would be sold at a discounted price.

It’s sort of like refurbished. I posted here before, but Foromusa was stuck in the time slide that swallowed Dr. Sam Beckett and deleted it. Hansioux then gave an extremely detailed answer, but the time warp ate that, too.

Thanks, I think I remember reading the other replies. Quite detailed. PIty I didn’t screenshoot it! I wondered because I was looking up the new Nokia phones, and kept seeing the term. In other news, I really wish that Nokia would roll out CLEAR names for their phones…

K.

Looks and sounds like a sound loan of ‘flipping’, like when you flip a house or car; with the addition of Taiwanese characteristics.

In Japanese it means something like “welfare item” or “wellbeing item” or “benefit item” - a euphemism for a vibrator?
(Just joking…)