Weirdest sighting in Taiwan

I saw a scooter boy on his scooter weaving in and out of traffic…as they do…complete with a small dog standing on the backseat with impeccable balance. This was about two weeks ago. I was reminded of it today when I saw another dog on a backseat, however this time the mutt was lying down.

I was on a busy rush-hour bus about 15 years ago in Yonghe when a drop-dead beautiful girl sat down beside me, removed her sweater and took off her bra.
She got seriously agitated when some old obasans tried to get her to put her clothes back on and I was thinking I was going to get arrested.

[quote=“sandman”]I was on a busy rush-hour bus about 15 years ago in Yonghe when a drop-dead beautiful girl sat down beside me, removed her sweater and took off her bra.
[/quote]

My 70yo landlady likes to flash her tits to me and my husband as well. She takes off her bra and starts scratching her back with it. Doesn’t turn me on a bit. :noway:

Today I saw two weird things:

1. A smallish bird attacking all the scooters drivining by. It followed every scooter for about 100 meters, trying to peck at the driver’s head. I guess that’s why it is advised to wear helmets on a scooter.
  2. A father with his 8-10yo kid on a scooter. Father driving, kid standing in front of him and sleeping - the father was holding him up with one hand, driving with the other. Crazy people. :s
  1. A monkey riding a dog down the street in Taoyuen.

2. A three way, violent argument between driver and two passengers as their car careened from lane to lane at high speed.

3. ‘Dolphin-boy’ foreigner in Kaoshiung who’d done some mean party favors and lost his ability to communicate in anything but dolphin squeaks. He also froze for up to a minute at a time.

Fairly similar thing happened to me this past weekend. I was lost somewhere on the scenic bit of road between Taizhong and Zhanghua [:roll:], waiting at a red light. The visor on my scooter helmet was down to keep the dioxin-infected mosquitos out of my eyes. Some guy who also lost, not seeing my Caucasian honker, pulled up to me and asked, “Xiansheng, is this the road back to Taizhong?”

I was absolutely dumbfounded. I’ve never had an adult in China or Taiwan call me mister. I’ve heard meiguoren, waiguoren, laowai, adogah, slob, etc. but no one has ever had the basic courtesy of calling me xiansheng. Incredible. I almost felt like a normal human being that day.

I walked out of a 7/11 on roosevelt and bumped smack into a cinese guy wearing a nazi ss uniform complete with boots and deaths head emblem.

I was stuned for a moment and when I came to he had disappeared.

I swear to god this is true

The three bar tabs I have in Hualian were quite a funny sight. I imagine they still are but I can’t see them from Korea. :smiling_imp:

[quote=“dix2111”]I walked out of a 7/11 on Roosevelt and bumped smack into a cinese guy wearing a nazi ss uniform complete with boots and deaths head emblem.

I was stuned for a moment and when I came to he had disappeared.

I swear to god this is true[/quote]

did he look like an 17-18yr old version of Capt. James Hewitt?

Back in January I think I saw a mother leaving her newly born baby outside in the cold in his/her stroller so mommy can go inside a bar to drink some alcohol. :loco:

Sounds like me, but I didn’t drink alcohol and the kid wasn’t exactly newborn.
Where I come from, kids sleep outside even when it’s -15C. He was sleeping on the other side of the window, so I kept my eye on him - better than the smokey pub IMO.

(PS: If I had known the Family Happy Hour was going to be so smokey, I would have stayed home. It took me 2,5 hours to get there, so I stayed for a short while before taking 1000NT taxi back home.)

Sorry :blush:

Oh well, I don’t really feel guilty for that. :slight_smile:

Forumosa up continuously for more than a month at a time without going down.
Oh, wait…I’m not sure I have seen this. It’s my imagination getting the better of me :smiling_imp:

Think it was this year sometime… few months back anyway. Saw this thing that looked like a huge comet/asteroid flying through the sky. Moved a quite a speed it looked like too. This was in the daytime, and the sky in the background was sunset red, and this thing was bright yellow/orange. We were staring, pointing and talking about it while some locals had a glance up and kept walking on…

I thought armegeddon had come, and thanked the Gods, but it did not happen :unamused:

Last week I saw a man fully asleep in his car at a stop light at 8 am in the morning. It was weird to me, considering how eagered they are in their driving here.

One time at band camp … well, actually, it was Taipei Main Station … I saw a guy decked out in full desert-camoflauge military gear, helmet, backpack, toy M-16 (I’m assuming it was a toy) … weaving in and out amongst the crowd, dropping to the ground and rolling around, hiding behind things while looking out for his “enemy” … I’m thinking he may have had a few screws lose … otherwise, the Taiwanese military has adopted some interesting new war games … and the best part was, no one even seemed to notice … not even my boyfriend until I pointed it out to him … and he didn’t even seem to think it was that strange …

And oh! I forgot about the man I saw on the Zhong Zhen bridge taking a BIG crap, butt on display for all the lunch hour rush traffic :stuck_out_tongue: (vomit) :noway: :noway:

One time many years ago I was in a McDonalds in the south part of town. I was standing in line, minding my own business, when I noticed that a guy standing next to me in the next line had his middle finger pointing right at my head.

I smirked and turned to look, thinking it was someone I knew (classy guys, my friends :wink:

However, it was a foreign guy, and he was glaring at me with intense hatred – which was odd, considering I’d never met the dude. As it happened, that was right when I got to the front of the line, and the clerk was staring at the scene in horror.

Anyway I didn’t know what to do or say. It was so ridiculous, I couldn’t bring myself to feel angry. Suddenly, the guy gives me a Nazi salute and yells out loudly “SIEG HEIL”!

I was like, ‘Look dude, I don’t know what your problem is, but just don’t touch me, ok?’ Keeping one eye on the guy, I went to order my food. The guy left, giving me a loud “F*** YOU!!!” as he went out the door.

To this day, I don’t know what that was all about.

[quote=“Namahottie”]Last week I saw a man fully asleep in his car at a stop light at 8 am in the morning.[/quote]Drunk and passed out most likely. I’ve seen this quite a few times.

Saw a very angry foreigner in a coffee shop south of Taipei Train Station one time. It was that nice coffee shop a few doors up from the Land Bank. Just mentioning that so everyone will know that there was really nothing wrong with the coffee. . .

Anyway, I am working away on the laptop in there when I hear this shouting from round the corner where the counter was. The wall was blocking my view. Someone was screaming “You DON’T sell coffee! You sell ichee kamichee coffee! Its Micky Mouse coffee! Fuck you! Fuck your coffee!”. It sounded like something insane was happening round by the counter. The volume this guy was screaming at was insane. It sounded like whoever was doing the shouting was about to kill somebody.

I got up with a bit of trepidation. As the only foreigner in the place I thought I could maybe help the boss sort the dispute out. I was also ready to just run for the door if on walking around the corner I saw a murder in progress or something. . .

Well I walked around the corner and found this massive foreigner, he looked like a bodybuilding type in a muscle shirt etc, scattering spittle all over the place as he screamed in the face of the boss. I hesitated for a second wondering how to approach this. The guy looked furious about something. He looked like he was just on the point of punching the boss, who was standing his ground but saying absolutely nothing.

I figured I couldn’t just stand there so I started to walk towards them, still wondering what I’m going to say. The rest of the patrons in the shop are just sitting in their seats watching this scene.

Then, without noticing me, the foreign guy screams one last “Ichee Kamichi coffee! Mickey Mouse coffee! You do NOT sell coffee”, then turns and storms out of the shop.

I ask the boss what his problem was, and the boss says he has no idea. He said the guy had not drunk any coffee, and had never been in the shop before. Apparently he just walked in off the street and started screaming.

'96 round about the first open election in Taiwan, I was a newbie hostel-dweller. Some weird types in the hostel, but this one guy,caucasian American, stood out. While everybody else was doing their daily thing and coming and going, he’d just sit in a lounge chair on the balcony sipping a soda-fountain sized glass of some cheap kind of rum that was available at the time. Finally, I decided to ask him what he was up to. He replied that he had come to Taiwan to wait for the war to start; never having been in a country at war, he wanted to see what it was like. :astonished:

Kiwi -
This looks like what is known as “'Roid Rage.”

Outburst of unexplainable anger, body-builder body type physique.
This might be an explanation.
Also traits are acne (skin eruptions) and shrunken genitalia - this one is not always obvious.

I think a poster has some 'roids for sale if you’re interested in testingthis out…lol :smiley: