Well, I'm out

Yo Squid: I don’t expect that you’re still out of the market. With last night’s devastation (all US indices down 5%), and the Dow down over 600 points in the past 3 days, you should be making a killing. I regret having sold my SRS (200 a couple weeks ago, then down to 120 or so, and now shooting back up around 180). But I do have some EEV, which bets against emerging markets and gained 15% last night. Wooohoo. Too bad that only partially offsets all the losses.

Anyway, I was thinking of you when I read about Direxion’s new funds, which I’m sure you’re familiar with: 3X inverse leveraged ETFs, intended to earn 3X the amount when the indices are down. Of course, that means if the markets go up, these funds will go down 3X that amount. Here’s a few articles for anyone with nerves of steel, willing to take a gamble on them:

Had Enough Volatility Yet? Direxion Set To Launch 3X Leveraged ETFs

Direxion’s ETFs on Steroids

New Direxion Triple Leverage Funds: Proceed with Caution

Their 3X inverse small cap fund, TZA, for example, gained almost 20% last night.

Their 3X inverse energy fund, ERY, gained over 24% last night. Not bad for a day’s work

I’m glad I’m on the sidelines for now. Last night’s swing below 8000, then a rebound to finish up 500 pts is pretty incredible…All you gamblers have fun and good luck.

No kidding. I wish I knew how to post an image of it here, but check out the DOW over the past 1 month.
finance.google.com/finance?q=INDEXDJX:.DJI

It’s been about like this: 9300 > 8600 > 9300 > 8200 > 9700 > 8000 > 8800. In just one month.

That’s insane. Apparently every good day causes everyone to panic and sell, and every bad day causes everyone to rush in for bargains.

It’s nuts. Aside from everything else, I wonder if some measures should be taken to lessen the crazy market swings?

Yeah, that 700 billion hasn’t seemed to do the trick! :laughing: