WeMo (Kymco electric) scooter sharing!

Just saw one in the wild, parked near the unfinished ‘Dome’. Hmm, interesting!

According to article it will be about 150 NT$/hour, after downloading the app and registering. 200 scooters are available so far for test purposes.

Sorry, old news from 2016, didn’t know about it and just saw the first WeMo scooter. Stupid me!

Well, the news article is from 08/2017, so it probably didn’t take off yet.

And they obviously only care about people that are fluent in Chinese, no English website! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve never seen one in Taipei. Are these available to rent by non-Taiwanese citizens such as ARC and APRC holders?

From Taiwan News, 08/2017

From the app on Android:

"::::::::::::::: Register and receive 20 min free ride ::::::::::::::::

WeMo Scooter currently operates in Taipei’s Daan, Zhongzheng, Xinyi, Zhongshan, Songshan, Datong and Wanhua districts with plans to expand operations to cover all of Taipei, Taiwan in 2017. Come ride with us by downloading the WeMo Scooter application and registering today!

WeMo Features

1. Keyless:Your smart phone is the key. Through our app, you can book, rent, turn your WeMo Scooter on and off and even open the trunk.
  2. Free Flow System:Your ride where you need it! Through our service, find and rent a WeMo Scooter then return it anywhere in our operation zone.
  3. Clean: Eliminate noise and air pollutants, improving our urban environments.

Rental Steps:

1. Register:Join WeMo Scooter by: 1. Downloading the WeMo Scooter App 2. Filling in your info 3. Uploading your verification information 4. Choosing a payment method
  2. Renting:Launch the WeMo Scooter App to find a nearest scooter and reserve it. Turn on your WeMo scooter and open the scooter’s trunk, and begin your journey!
  3. Parking:Park your WeMo Scooter in a legal parking space inside our operating zone. From the WeMo Scooter App pay and return the scooter.

Know More About WeMo Scooter:
http://www.wemoscooter.com
http://www.facebook.com/WeMoScooter"

A WeMo in the ‘wild’, find and try it if you can!

DSC_0002-03

1 Like

This seems more for locals. The instructions on the web site say to upload your driver’s license. Payment is by credit card or WeMo wallet (not sure what this is).

Your application needs to be reviewed by their staff. So I’m wondering if they would decline a non-Taiwanese with a local driver’s license? Anybody have experience with this?

I’m using it for 2 months with international driving license. Service is absolutely great. I hope they will offer some monthly rates. I like it because I don’t have to worry about it and if starts raining or I start drinking I just use MRT or taxi to get back home. They provide 2 hamlets and good insurance in case of accident. You can top up we mo wallet trough atm, they send you instructions on email or just register credit card (I have debit Visa from BOT and it works too). If you get fine they carge you but if you park on legal public place they pay parking fee.

2 Likes

Does the international license need to have the motorcycle annotation? Do they also require your scooter / motorcycle license from outside Taiwan?

Mine doesn’t have anything of that. I have license for car and scooter to 50cc. Those scooters are eletric ones and they have green plate. You can just try to apply. They approved my application in 24 hours.

What are ‘hamlets’?

Sorry about my bad English. *motorcycle helmets

I’m curious to know how they charge them.

From thin air! :rofl:

Did you use local phone and address or non-local?

I used local phone and adress. In meantime they send me twice warning not to keep scooter in private place or they will shutdown my account. I got two fines, one for parking and other for driving in wrong direction. I also win two lottery prizes and they send me receipt on home address. Their customer service is able to assist in English so takes them bit more to answer.

They use green license plates, (50cc equivalent) what does it mean? That you can use it with a any driver’s license?

If you have car driving license that probably includes 50cc and you are good to drive WeMo. Btw their scooter goes max 70 km/hr

The Wemo recharging mystery is solved!

A Wemo guy drives around town and physically swaps batteries, wipes the helmets, changes the cap to wear under the helmet. He caries about 14 batteries on his Wemo scooter.

2 Likes

you mean if you get a parking ticket or are they are monitoring where you park or what?
are the helmets attached to the scooter?

They are paying for parking if you park inside white box for scooter, also you can park for free in garage near att4fun. If you get fine for parking on sidewalk they send it to you. Also they monitor if you are parking scooter in private places. For example you can’t park inside your garage if you plan to use scooter tomorrow morning. Sorry my English is not so good

i thought the whole point of riding a scooter here is that you can park it anywhere?

not sure about the usefulness of this service. if its like a youbike but scooter version surely you would need a lot of stations to park it at to be useful? it seems a bit expensive for renting for day use.