Were any of you able to catch a glimpse of this spectacle?

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4009084#:~:text=Beijing%20brags%20that%20its%20rocket,skies%20of%20Taiwan%20Island%2C%20China’&text=Since%20last%20summer%2C%20a%20sea,Xichang%2C%20Taiyuan%2C%20and%20Wenchang.

2 Likes

That was my thought when I read the headline followed by the article.

Sensationalism to the detriment of Taiwan and people in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Uh… I don’t know what that New Bloom article is talking about when it says

However, from the title of the article, as well as its contents, it would be easy to misconstrue the article as referring to China launching a missile—not a rocket intended to launch satellites—over Taiwan…

I mean, the title is literally

China fires Long March rocket directly over Taiwan

I definitely misconstrued it. Agree with New Bloom

1 Like

Launching rockets has always been a way to demonstrate a country’s ballistic capabilities. There is absolutely no reason to launch a satellite from an ocean platform, it would be much more safe and cost effective to do so from one of China’s land-based launching pads. There is also no reason to align the rocket’s trajectory with Taiwan for a satellite aimed to have a sun-synchronous orbit.

2 Likes

Looks like someone is using the N. Korea playbook of firing off rockets in order to get boatloads of food sent their way? If you brag about being number two economy in the world and hang on to 3rd world status, it’d be shameful to beg for food. Better to fire off some rockets to scare up some diplomatic concessions.

1 Like

Was it visible?

No reason and yet the US and Russia have both done so.

They say it’s for safety reasons (to avoid rocket stages landing in inhabited areas) and to increase potential launch windows. Seems reasonable.

Everyone knows China can fire a missile at Taiwan. Launching a rocket that no one could even see by the time it was over Taiwan is hardly ranking up there on the scale of intimidation. Which is why only the losers at Taiwan News tried to make it into a big deal.

1 Like

This CNA report doesn’t even mention it flew over Taiwan. That’s how unremarkable an event it was.

Clearly the situation in China is dire but face saving is priority. Not waste food campaign…my foot.

1 Like

Taiwan News is aligned with extreme Taiwan Independence groups, intent on making Tsai Administration look weak or incompetent or both. Can’t reason with them in warning that fuels the enemy camp, not their cause.

1 Like

When the US uses the ocean launch platforms, they do it for equatorial launches of commercial payloads. China launched theirs from an coordinate where they have plenty of land on the same latitude to do the exact same launch.

1 Like