We're shutting down tomorrow?

Looks good. Nice speed. Nice clean look. The quote function doesn’t work yet. Also, we need the ‘new posts’ link to be visible from within threads, not just from the main index.

The “new posts since your last visit” seems to be acting just like the “2” of “24” option, i.e., it brings up new posts, including those posted during the current visit. That’s just fine with me; having one button (preferably just called “NEW POSTS” simplifies things.

Anyway, great job so far, Goose Egg! :bravo:

Some snow would be cool.

The search function (the first time I used it, but also just after making a post) gave me “You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.” That’s bizarre! It seems to be confusing the old “You cannot make another POST so soon after your last; please try again in a short while” with the search results. I had to wait to try again, but in the end it did give me the thread-title view of the thread containing the term. However, I prefer the old format in which the beginning of each post, with the searched term highlighted, came up. Otherwise one could spend a long time opening each page in the thread and searching for the term manually.

Yeah, I noticed it, too, but not after I made a post - after I searched. I think it is related to the new version of the forums - maybe it helps keep the performance stable?

I use a wireless connection and I often thought that it was a tad slow because of it. It’s quite faster now. Everything I usually use is still there except the site map which I assume will be back at some point.

I’m noticing that the font size in the quick reply window is much bigger. I like that too since I use a 15 inch monitor.

Great work Mr. Gus! :bravo:

bobepine

[quote=“Mr He”]Guys Gud did a barebones install.

All those fancy thingies will come back in time, I think along with many many more. At least that was what he wrote in his blog.[/quote]

Can we have less of the ‘many more’ please? It goes without saying that we appreciate Forumosa being here etc. etc. work people put in etc. etc. but Forumosa is one of the worst culprits for ‘OH MY GOD!! let’s add ten thousand new features before we even got the basics working first!’ Believe it or not, I have a life outside the interweb so if Forumosa doesn’t work for whatever reason or forces me to work hard to find something then I just don’t bother and do something else.

PS: Forumosafieds STILL has those useless huge f’in icons and I’m never quite sure if it will be down, up, sideways or otherwise so I will carry on using T*****.

[quote]certainly is fast. :notworthy:

I’m lost without “Own posts, New, and 24”… :ponder:[/quote]

Indeed, i especially miss the “4” function on the old view latest: wherein the displayed posting would be grouped ( in the first, right hand column) according to the forum it’s posted in, rather than the username of who posted it.
.I found it easier on the eyes, and a bit more useful in scanning WHERE things are being posted, rather than by WHOM.
That’s just my own personal preference, of course. :sunglasses:

Hope this function comes back.

Hats Off for a successful upgrade . :bravo:

Seems to be working smoother and faster :slight_smile:

Smoother, faster, better-looking, not a single XML junk message. I like it much better like this. Gus, PLEASE don’t go adding all the useless junk that only slows the site down and irritates people!

What sandman said above…

I know you have got a million things to do right now, but just FYI, the invalid sessions for the mod control panel that I have been experiencing since day 1 haven’t been fixed by this upgrade.

You know you have to bump threads to the first page before you can merge them, right? And you can’t merge using the buttons on every thread page: you have to actually go into the moderator control panel.

Otherwise, I agree with Sandman, Tigerman and others. Things are very good right now. Quick, tidy and simple. The “new” and “own” buttons are back, and I can’t really think of anything else that could improve the site.

You sure it’s not your anti-virus software causing that? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder whether one person’s useless junk might be another’s favorite. Of course, it’s all up to Gus, but what about running polls to see how popular some of those individual pieces of junk are? Just a thought. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes yes yes yes yes!

These work, too, when I tested it last night

Sorry, Truant, I haven’t been able to duplicate your problem on my setups. I thought we isolated the issue back then to your workplace network :blush:

You make it sound like I do this intentionally! :slight_smile: But what you say is a no brainer - I don’t want to put useless things into the website. It isn’t worth the time.

What I think is really interesting is all the useful stuff that slows the site down and irritates some people. Now what are we going to do about them?

Take the banners - which is our way of showing appreciation to the people who pay our hosting bills. That’s definately gonna be a hit to performance. And this door swings both ways: not only are they of value to our bill payers, they are useful to regular non-paying Forumosans: remember that quickie banner campaign last week about the free surgery? I heard that Forumosans (not me) did opt for it (I hope that all turned out well) - this is a banner benefit in my book

And I’m betting the integration with the Forumosafieds is going to be a drag on the website - I’m talking about displaying the latest stuff that’s posted there inside our forums forums. Surely you aren’t suggesting we keep the 2 sites severed, are you?

And then there is our beloved search system. I flushed the wordmatch table again while the site was down yesterday. The wordmatch table comprises the majority of a phpBB website - typically 2/3 of this space is the indexing that is needed for a proper search function. In our case, we had 750MB and growing all in one table. Every time someone posts something, new words are added to the table and words that already exist in the table are tallied. Remember when the site crashed last week? I ignorantly tried to empty the table in the middle of the day. It maxed out our server and took us out for 12 hours, until I sought assistance from our webhost in the US east coast.

When our wordmatch table is rebuilt (I’m planning to do this over the weekend, btw), I expect performance to slow. This isn’t a choice for us - a 400MB website WITHOUT a search index is certainly not as useful as it could.

Or maybe you have specific “useless” suggestions in mind? Please please please send them to me. I want to hear them - cuz I haven’t been hearing much. Maybe I didn’t give you enough notice ahead of time: this kind of feedback really helps me BEFORE changes are happening. As features come in, the forum code gets more confusing. Modifying phpBB is like layering change one on top of another - its difficult to undo the early tweaks.
You think the website looks complicated on the outside? It ain’t any prettier under the hood

OK, rant over :sunglasses: I sincerely want the feedback. Sandy, TM, you guys are the heaviest users of this website. You know it a heck of a lot more than me. I’m only putting things in that I find useful - like counting logins per day, and checking how many are posted in a week. When someone (like joesax and jds) tells me that having the special search links in the overall header is valuable to them, it guides me and prioritizes things.

So just let me know
the sooner the better!

Don’t mind the banners in the slightest - understand why they’re there, don’t have a problem.

Who wants Forumosa and Forumosafieds integrated this badly? I sure don’t, and it seems to be what has caused the major problems with speed and XML errors lately. Yes, I AM suggesting that you keep the two sites severed. You will remember me as the moaning bastard who wasn’t convinced about the whole forumosafied thing in the first place. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST LEAVE THIS ALONE. PLEASE, FOR ME?! If you do want to play with this, can somedbody please do it on a TEST SERVER before using a busy public forum as a guinea pig for dodgy code? PLEASE!! I said please three times now. Please.

[quote=“Goose Egg”][b]And then there is our beloved search system. I flushed the wordmatch table again while the site was down yesterday. The wordmatch table comprises the majority of a phpBB website - typically 2/3 of this space is the indexing that is needed for a proper search function. In our case, we had 750MB and growing all in one table. Every time someone posts something, new words are added to the table and words that already exist in the table are tallied. Remember when the site crashed last week? I ignorantly tried to empty the table in the middle of the day. It maxed out our server and took us out for 12 hours, until I sought assistance from our webhost in the US east coast.

When our wordmatch table is rebuilt (I’m planning to do this over the weekend, btw), I expect performance to slow. This isn’t a choice for us - a 400MB website WITHOUT a search index is certainly not as useful as it could.[/b][/quote]

Search function IS worth the performance drop IMO. Can’t think of anything else that is. My 2c - get the search working, fix the quotes thing then leave it alone. How many ‘features’ does a forum need anyway?

I WOULD like to see Forumosafieds integrated into the forum. At least the latest entries.

Yeah, the classifieds. Why do you need them integrated into the discussion boards? Why not just a banner with a link letting people know they exist? I don’t think I’ve ever actually looked at them except when you or Maoman asked us to test them. If I do ever need to look at them, I know where they are, and I’d FAR rather enjoy faster and smoother operating than be the first to know who’s selling their fan or whatever.

You also mentioned some nonsense about pineapples or something – njet, Komrade! That’s the kind of thing I meant by “useless junk.” I’m sure there are other such things that you’ve tried in the past simply (paraphrasing your own words) “because you can” or because they’re “cool.” If they’re not strictly necessary and they slow the site, they’re not cool at all.

The banners of our cash cows I have to accept as a necessary evil and the search is indeed useful – if they slow the site, fair enough.

quote function intermitant(sp) on Safari for me, some fine others not boxed or white…

otherwise looks good very IMHO

thanks!