Wesley Snipes facing 30 yrs prison for massive tax fraud

At first I thought this was a simple matter of slight underreporting, but – jeezus – this guy’s in deep shit. Looks like he committed serious fraud.

[quote]Wesley Snipes Is Charged With Tax Fraud

A federal grand jury in Tampa, Fla., has indicted the actor Wesley Snipes, star of the “Blade” trilogy and other films, on tax fraud and conspiracy charges after a four-year investigation by the Internal Revenue Service. The indictment was unsealed yesterday.

Mr. Snipes failed to turn himself in yesterday after a judge issued an arrest warrant on Friday.

Mr. Snipes, 44, who lives in the Tampa area, was indicted for failing to file returns since 1999, for trying to get $11.7 million in taxes refunded for 1996 and 1997 by claiming he did not owe taxes and for submitting $13 million in fake checks to pay his taxes.

He filed an amended 1997 tax return, court records show, in which the signature statement, known as the jurat, was subtly altered. A “no” was inserted before the word “penalty” in the statement filed “under penalty of perjury.”

The indictment ties Mr. Snipes to promoters of tax evasion schemes . . . in a movement that contends that most Americans are not required to pay income tax, an argument the courts have repeatedly rejected as frivolous.

The Justice Department said four years ago that at least 152,000 people had tried to evade paying tens of millions of dollars in taxes citing this argument, known as the 861 position. So far at least eight people taking this position have been convicted.

Mr. Snipes faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted on all counts. . . [/quote]
nytimes.com/2006/10/18/movies/18snip.html

Always seems strange when a person achieves such great success and riches and turns out to be a total moron who blows it all through his stupidity. :loco:

FIGHT THE POWERS THAT BE BLADE!!!

It’s just Vampires trying to hold the man down. You know they run like everything right?

Ha! :bravo:

inserting “no” before “penalty”. that’s cool. i oughta try that sometime.

It’s a conspiracy.

pah,couple of execs from hollywood will have their nose into it,snipes will make blade 4/5/6 and blade the beginning,and blade the teenage years for 1/2 his usual fees,slap on the wrists and it’s done and over with

Fame and wealth corrupt.

yeah, that dalai lama is a right prick. :laughing:

I think him and Willie Nelson will get along famously. Maybe they can release a tribute album, or even a cowboy kung fu movie. with jackie chan.

I wonder who the others are?

[quote]March 15, 2002, Friday
By DAVID CAY JOHNSTON (NYT); National Desk
Late Edition - Final, Section A, Page 19, Column 1, 854 words

Government sues former accountant Douglas P Rosile Sr, saying he helped more than 200 wealthy Americans try to evade more than $36 million in taxes using argument that Americans are not required to pay income taxes unless they work for foreign companies; among clients is actor Wesley Snipes, who sought refund of $7.3 million; Justice Department seeks injunction against Rosile to stop making fraudulent claims and produce tax records of his clients; Internal Revenue Service offials say use of injunctions is part of new strategy to thwart spread of tax fraud and antitax movement[/quote]

No pity here. As this is such a common theme among black entertainers. So many of them have gone down this road. Many of them ill-advised but many of them I assume just didn’t take on the resposiblity.

He should know better…

[quote=“Namahottie”]No pity here. As this is such a common theme among black entertainers. So many of them have gone down this road. Many of them ill-advised but many of them I assume just didn’t take on the resposiblity.

He should know better…[/quote]

Wesley Snipes is black?

Whoa…puff puff

It’s his own fault for not living in Oireland where artists apparently don’t pay tax at all. You can’t even go down to the shops in Malahide without bumping into some tax exile or other.

It ain’t over till it’s over, but it’s looking bad for Mr. Snipes.

Judge Sentences Snipes to 3 Years for Tax Convictions

If you think that’s unduly harsh, go back to the first post of this thread and see what he was accused of.

Three years in a plush minimum-security government hotel for US$3m? Sounds like a bargain. He’ll be out in a year. That has sent out a very clear message. Loud and clear. [Offstage: sound of income tax return being ripped up]

I don’t get these people … they make massive amounts of money and then commit tax fraud … they even have so much money they can’t spend it …

If they just donated a lot to worthwhile causes they would probably get some massive breaks at tax time. You would think that if you were that rich you would hire somebody to advise you how to keep your money nice.

Nice meaning legal or … ? There have been cases where the financial advisors caused the problems, though in the end it’s usually the taxpayer him/herself that will be held liable.

Snipes didn’t do it to ‘save money’.

It’s well known in ‘alternative media’ circles that Snipes believes he doesn’t have to pay taxes.

Watch this and you’ll understand where Snipes is coming from:
video.google.com/videoplay?docid … rgONsL2bAg