West Point grads and the strength of diversity

Same thing has happened with the British army. I have no idea how it has been allowed to go this far and i hope it swings the other way soon. What is the benefit in hiring people for any job based on diversity quotas?

The main point here is to avoid being racist. So don’t be. Hire based on who is most able to do the job, and don’t be racist, its as simple as that.

1 Like

Bear in mind this focuses on recruitment. So qualifications are basically fit and above room temperature IQ. I highly doubt the US military would pass up a modern day Patton because he’s not a black transmasculine pansexual.

I’m sure depth of leadership remains fine; it’s influx that’s in flux.

So hire based on this. Not diversity quotas. Simple as that. Same should go for most fields. Common sense.

1 Like

From my old military friends they don’t like all this political involvement with DEI stuff. At least in the 80s we saw no problems- we just worked together . The bigger worry besides low recruitment now is low reenlistment of experienced NCOs. Maybe a lot of young guys also don’t like the idea of female drill sergeants getting in their face yelling and giving them the knife hand.
Google image search " platoon pictures 1980" pretty diverse proportionately…at least then.
Politicians should leave it alone.

1 Like

My batman was gay. Jolly good sort. Damned if we didn’t give Johnny Turk a damned good thrashing in the Great War.

The British army certainly knew how to put the willies up Johnny Foreigner back in the day.

1 Like

So, they were very gay?

1 Like

4 Likes

The empire was built on gin, sodomy and the lash.

4 Likes

Since it’s one of my favorite albums, thought I’d re-attribute the quote :wink:

Rum is for the navy. Gin the army.

Cracking album.

1 Like

I’m just saying. The type of person who would be willing to join the military. Which ad would actually make them want to join?

Perhaps more to the point, which one would you prefer defending you?

2 Likes

Maybe it was propoganda, but wasn’t there a lot of talk of unsolicited buttsecks in the Russian army last year? In contrast, I expect the young lady in the US ad to make a clear and confident request for consent before she sodomizes anyone.

I think we should all aspire to that…

I’ve met gay guys who served in the military and, well, it’s kinda a self fulfilling prophecy. The kind of guy who would serve in the military generally maintains the same profile regardless of sexual orientation. And the same goes for the kind of woman.

That was kinda my point… When it comes to recruiting, they’ll take anyone so long as they pass the basic tests. Encouraging women and the gays to sign up doesn’t change the fact that the average white straight male stands as good a chance of being recruited provided he isnt mentally or physically hindered.

As far as higher offices go, the military is a pretty structured organization with specific timetables and requirements for advancing, and none of that is going out the window.

The article I linked in the big post specifically addresses how the post WW2 us military structure encourages more rapid turnover instead of career military men.

Now that is an issue they ought to suck up. If you can’t get yelled at by a woman you’re probably too big a puss to be in the military, in my opinion :sweat_smile:

It’s rather cherry picked… Plenty of normal us military ads. Saw a “normal” one just recently back in the states on TV. If someone is signing up because of that Russian ad in specific… It’s a little sad, no? The promise of badassery hasn’t exactly panned out from what we’ve seen of them🤣

I think the type of person who wants to join the military is generally someone who will do it anyhow because their family was involved or because they don’t have other good opportunities and need to get away from wherever they are, not because of badass ad posturing.

Some guys won’t just take it on word, they need to be shown the pleasures of the male g-spot :man_shrugging:

NCOs are going to be your people who are around 3-7 years in with enough experience to start being able to manage groups. You need them at least for a few more years after all that experience and training.

I was commenting on the type of soldier each advert was trying to recruit. The Russian advert was looking for a very hard, mean bastard of a soldier. The US advert wasn’t.

The sexuality/gender of the recruit is not relevant to me.

an inquiry in June found the air force had unlawfully discriminated against white male candidates in the two years to March 2021 in an effort to boost the number of female and ethnic minority recruits.

2 Likes

Why do they even need to do that? The point should be that women / non whites and gays should not be discriminated against if they are qualified for the job, not the other way around. They should be encouraging people who want to be soldiers to be soldiers.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say diversity by itself is an advantage - rather that the US attracts top talent from all countries in the world - diversity is just a bonus on top.