West Wing discussion

[quote=“Hobbes”]Hmm… In addition to Dr. Stanley, I just thought of another non-White House worker from the show that it might be fun to be: John, Lord Marbury, Earl of Croy, Marquess of Needham and Dolby, Baronet of Brycey, England’s Ambassador to the United States.

I reckon ambassadoring wouldn’t be a bad gig… :happybiker:[/quote]

Sandman you “got game”!!!

To hobbies: if your liver could hold out, it wouldn’t be a bad gig…

I got “late game,” that’s all – I’m mired in WW right now, thanks to Maoman for lending me seasons one and two. Hope he’ll pass three my way soon.

Slightly off the “which character?” idea, but still on the WW theme: Does anyone have a favourite episode?

Mine is “Posse Comitatus”, the Season 3 finale.

Dialogue in American cinema is being delivered faster every year with the intention of making the actors “appear” inteligent and super competent. Unfortunately if you listen to what they actually say a lot of it is either incredibly stupid or essentially meaningless. West Wing has to be the most extreme example of this that I have ever seen. I hate that show and would not want to be any one of the phony assholes in it.

I like the West Wing a lot, but I agree with this general observation. Gets on my nerves sometimes too. I think Moonlighting was the most extreme example that I can think of, back in the 80s.

I like the West Wing a lot, but I agree with this general observation. Gets on my nerves sometimes too. I think Moonlighting was the most extreme example that I can think of, back in the 80s.[/quote]
I agree that you agree with what he finds disagreeable. Or something. :wink:

Despite the Moonlight-esque exchanges that do get aggravating occasionally, I’m a devoted fan of WW and I don’t even really like TV. With the possible exception of “The Simpsons,” the WW’s group of writers seem to be the most consistently creative and excellent in the medium. That writing talent coupled with high quality actors makes for a show that’s hard to beat. One of the things that I like about it is the fact that they don’t waste time explained every detail in full and complete sentences with exaggerated absorption time so even mental cucumbers can keep up. So few shows dare to do that and I really appreciate it.

I’ve been enduring WW withdrawal since coming to Taiwan. Maybe I’ll go the DVD route.

Seeker4

P.S. - Hands down: Josh.

[quote=“Hobbes”]Slightly off the “which character?” idea, but still on the WW theme: Does anyone have a favourite episode?

Mine is “Posse Comitatus”, the Season 3 finale.[/quote]

I forget what the title of the episode was, but the “teleplay” that followed 9/11 was my fav so far. It proposed this problem:

Islamic Fundementalists are to Islam as
__________ is to Christianity.

For those of you that haven’t seen the episode, give it a shot. See if you can fill in the blank. Thoz that have, please don’t spoil.

bob, now you’ve gone and done it. Talking smack about WW??? :noway:

How can we ever take you serious again? :wink:

Off the top of my head i would have to aggree with HObbies,man I cried like a fat kid at fat camp when I saw that one…

For me, the best I’ve seen of seasons one and two is the season one episode in which Toby and Mrs. Laningham bury the homeless Korean War vet.

For me, the best I’ve seen of seasons one and two is the season one episode in which Toby and Mrs. Laningham bury the homeless Korean War vet.[/quote]

Aye, that was a great one. Would be toward the top of my list as well. My wife hasn’t seen many WWs (so she doesn’t really know the characters etc.), but I remember we saw that one together and she liked it a lot. The very end, when they are doing the 21 gun salute… quality.

[quote=“Hobbes”]Slightly off the “which character?” idea, but still on the WW theme: Does anyone have a favourite episode?

Mine is “Posse Comitatus”, the Season 3 finale.[/quote]

The one that comes to mind first for me is probably Two Cathedrals (S2 finale), mainly for Bartlet railing in the church and the Brothers in Arms sequence. Posse Comitatus left me strangely cold apart from the decision making by Bartlet and Leo which was the least overtly dramatic, yet the most interesting, aspect of the ep IMO. I loved In the Shadow of Two Gunmen I & II as well (shooting aftermath episodes).

For me, the best I’ve seen of seasons one and two is the season one episode in which Toby and Mrs. Laningham bury the homeless Korean War vet.[/quote]

Aye, that was a great one. Would be toward the top of my list as well. My wife hasn’t seen many WWs (so she doesn’t really know the characters etc.), but I remember we saw that one together and she liked it a lot. The very end, when they are doing the 21 gun salute… quality.[/quote]

Oh yea that 21 gun salute had me crying also, come to think of it, the episode where the American college kids got bombed and the POUS calls their family and tells them “I’ve got 3 kids and I don’t know what to say” had me crying…

One of my friends from the States sent me 6 episodes of this seasons WW. I have already watched them 3 times at least (I have no cable TV). I don’t know if the disc will work on the DVD players here. I use a hand held panasonic player. Anyway, anyone interested in borrowing it (along with a couple other episodes from last season) is welcome to it. I don’t really go downtown Taipei too often but go to TLI in Tien Mou Mon-Fri if you want to pick it up there.

Hi skidu,

That’s a very nice offer you have to lend our your DVDs. I’d love to borrow them but I’m far from Tianmu as well. Maybe one day I will pm you if I go to Tianmu and you still have the DVDs.

I have never watched a full episode of WW but I hear so much good stuff about it. I’m missing out, ain’t i?

Season 1 and 2 finales were great,

I think I most enjoyed the first episode of season 2. It was just great getting back into after the long wait, and exciting with the “who got shot?” stuff.

Brian

I’d love it but my wife would slay me if I brought home a version without subtitles, unfortunately. Too much of the dialogue is just too damned fast for her to follow – hell, I have trouble with it myself sometimes. Which season is running in the US now, anyway?

I’d love it but my wife would slay me if I brought home a version without subtitles, unfortunately. Too much of the dialogue is just too damned fast for her to follow – hell, I have trouble with it myself sometimes. Which season is running in the US now, anyway?[/quote]

It’s season 6 in the states now. I have watched as far as season five episode 10. After Sorkin left, the show really suffered however. I really wasn’t that impressed with what I saw of season 5.

Speaking of subtitles, I just picked up over 50 movies from Bali. The subtitles in English and Chinese are freakin’ hilarious. I have opted for pausing and explaining when my g/f doesn’t understand. Even rewinds are not too much to ask for.

Maybe one day they’ll create Scottish subtitles. D’yer fash?