Western food and drinking while eating rules - help please

Here is one brand:

BP, you put water on the table. Does it effect your income cocerning selling alcohol and soft drinks (sodas)?

What’s your opinion, I know in France you can’t drink the tap water, so you have to buy a bottle in a resturant. How about Belgium? I’ve been, but can’t remember the protocol.

Everyone needs one experience getting loaded on Kaoliang.

And only one.

And then never again…God…please, never again.

[quote]Everyone needs one experience getting loaded on Kaoliang.

And only one.

And then never again…God…please, never again.[/quote]

Ooh god, and that taste stays with your for days.

Nah, it’s not about thinning the blood, it’s all about stagnating the blood, that’s the nature of cold. Stagnation results in pain.

HG

[quote=“Limey”]BP, you put water on the table. Does it effect your income cocerning selling alcohol and soft drinks (sodas)?

What’s your opinion, I know in France you can’t drink the tap water, so you have to buy a bottle in a resturant. How about Belgium? I’ve been, but can’t remember the protocol.[/quote]

Here I do because it’s kind of a custom in most 'western restaurants, and I don’t sell a lot of drinks to Taiwanese except for beer to male customers and some younger women that want to be ‘trendy’ … but in Belgium we never put water on the table, we expect guests to buy their drinks, which is a big part of the business income … although at the ‘high end’ restaurants you could get water served in these huge wine glasses, this is done basically to clean your pallet I guess, but they also expect you to drink wine or specialty beers

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Derek -
Can’t help ya with this one…I eat everything…except that hideous foul stench thing called ‘cho do fu’…smells like the breath of a sh*t wagon buzzard on a hot day.[/quote]
I LOVE ChoDoFu… But only the boiled kind. I don’t do fried foods.

[quote=“SuchAFob”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Derek -
Can’t help ya with this one…I eat everything…except that hideous foul stench thing called ‘cho do fu’…smells like the breath of a sh*t wagon buzzard on a hot day.[/quote]
I LOVE ChoDoFu… But only the boiled kind. I don’t do fried foods.[/quote]Well…I like boiled cabbage with bits of ham in it. The smell of that drives some people up the wall also.
Just personal likes & dislikes.

Can’t wait for you to eat an orange or drink some juice (or any cold drinks or “cold” fruit) when you have a cold… that will scare the beejeesus out of them.

Gaoliang is a drink for dainty women who wear riding gloves. On the other hand,

Erguotou will put some hair on your chest.

1- I eat mostly western food now. I rarely eat fast food, but I like sandwiches that don’t have corn in them and I don’t do seafood or pork. Seeing as almost everything in Taiwan is made with seafood or pork, it’s just easier to stick with western restaurants.

2 - While I was doing my usual summer health retreat in Ubud, Bali, the owner of the place where I stay, Nyoman Sarma, pointed out how bad for your digestion it is to drink during a meal as it interferes with your body processing solids and liquids (or something along those lines). For a while I followed his advice. Now, I’ve gotten away from it.

I had severe acute bronchitis for the first few months of this year, and now I find that if I drink or eat something really cold, I begin coughing uncontrollably again. Maybe the old wives’ tale holds some water (no pun intended).

So much for Ice Monster this summer… :frowning:

I bring my own beverage into restaurants most of the time. I bring a Fin or a bottle of Coke.

As for refusing food, you need to give them a polite reason. One of the best would be “I’m not accustomed to this food.” And then apologize for your failings as a guest.

Bam! You’re off the hook.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]

I had severe acute bronchitis for the first few months of this year, and now I find that if I drink or eat something really cold, I begin coughing uncontrollably again. Maybe the old wives’ tale holds some water (no pun intended).

So much for Ice Monster this summer… :frowning:[/quote]

Off topic, and the usual stuff about not being doctor.

Imaniou, this is unsolicited advice, but I have big lung trouble in Taiwan. It might be worth getting yourself checked for asthma. Asthma often follows bronchitis, even in people who are not ‘asthmatics’. I use a preventer (Seratide) everyday for a month or two following a bout of bronchitis, and it eventually gets rid of all symptoms, including problems following the consumption of cold stuff. Also, do deep breathing exercises or go swimming.