Western restaurants in Hualien?

If you plan to visit (recommended!), call ahead to set up the menu items you want. Then enjoy!

Guy

Yup, that’s the place. The chef and his wife were great and explained everything in detail (I’m sorry, but my Chinese sucks so my explanations aren’t nearly as detailed…plus even my wife didn’t know what half the plants and ingredients were). They seemed very proud of their food and endeavored to make it very special for their guests. Anyway, if this is something that you can make fit your budget, I really recommend it.

I’m near Shitiping (shittyping?) on my way down the coast, and this fits right in. I’ll give a call tomorrow to check it out.

My wife and I are joking that our 2 week tour of Taiwan is turning into a tasting of western restaurants and local natural landmarks and visits.

1 Like

Let us know how it goes.

Enjoy your travels!

Guy

I’ll definitely be checking that out. Thanks for the introduction and review.

Jany’s Dutch Pancake House

Not bad at all. And a good addition to the available Western restaurants in Hualien. Small place in a 3-4 story home. They have sweet and salty varieties of pancakes.

https://g.co/kgs/gmxzar

4 Likes

Not Western, but not sure if I want to start a new thread.

雙蔓印度餐廳 Mahi & Mandi’s Curry Corner. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

4 Likes

The owner was my classmate at Tzu Chi CLC. Good pancakes and she’s a truly good person to boot.

3 Likes

The Arica place has shut down :frowning: was in the city last month walking there to eat and it is way different. But the owner was outside, so maybe they reopened as something else? I remember him saying a year or 2 he was opening a more bar directed second place.

3 Koalas is good service. Burger spot. Their pizza isnt the highlight, but everything else our groups have tried were great.

1 Like

It’s fascinating how Indian / Pakistani food is showing up in smaller communities now. Japan is like this—even smaller places will have an Indian restaurant with a guy from South Asia at a tandoor oven doing his thing. Awesome to see this trend hitting Taiwan too. :yum:

Guy

2 Likes

I also noticed that they closed. Too bad.

A bar seems like it would suit him well. They had some mixed drinks available and when I asked about them, I remember he got very excited while discussing this topic. And they had live music on certain nights. Anyway, I can definitely see how this might work out better for him.

I’ve been there only once. It was decent enough but I think I need to try more things from their menu before deciding whether to make this a regular place for me.

Edit: @moderators , will you consider changing the title to something like Non-Local Restaurants in Hualien or Foreigner Owned Restaurants in Hualien?

1 Like

For sure. I wonder if he opened a new place in that location, saw him at his old place. His name is Bony, if anyone wants to check on facebook if he has a new spot :slight_smile:

1 Like

L3 users such as yourself can change thread titles, as long as it remains representative of the topic being discussed.
Of course, if you prefer to wait for @Marco’s take it’s also fine.

1 Like

I didn’t know I had any special user status. I feel special!

I’ll give it a day or two. Can’t remember who started this thread and I don’t want to tread on somebody else’s territory.

1 Like

Not really! I hate to do this, but I must correct the record here :slight_smile:

In the Regular’s Forum we ask regulars to limit changes to misspellings and the like. Suggestions for substantial changes should go through mods.

3 Likes

Oh, my bad!
I stand corrected.
I guess the Lounge is an exception, then?

1 Like

So . . . editing titles for accuracy (without being a jack@ss in the process) is not OK? :grimacing:

Guy

It depends on what you mean by accuracy. That can be subjective. Take a look at the Reg Forum post on the subject, I wrote something there.

I suppose India is indeed west of Taiwan, so counting Indian restaurants as “Western” would in a strict sense be accurate. :grin:

I suggested to @marasan that the title could be simply switched to “International restaurants in Hualien” which I think could work.

EDIT: I wonder if this would be OK with @Marco ?

Guy

1 Like