Wet-i-phone-revival?

[quote=“Mick”]Sorry about the phone Ducked, did you read the article I gave?

I wouldn’t recommend an ultra sonic bath, that sounds like a terrible idea. Seems some have fixed the charging problem by doing a reset of the device. Hold down the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons until the iPhone powered off and the Apple logo reappears, then try charging.[/quote]

Yes, I read the article, thanks, and was aware of most of the contents before I did so, but this isn’t/wasn’t my phone, its my girlfriends.

Women generally tend to assume I’m incompetent, can’t think why. In addition, Taiwanese in-general, and more especially Taiwanese women, have a specific aversion to hands-on DIY and a “trust the expert” mindset.

Both these factors mitigated against me taking control of this situation, plus I didn’t want to push it since I suspected it was a lost cause anyway and I didn’t want “the blame”.

I did suggest to her an alcohol soak, and that it was very important to get the battery out, but I think you need tiny screwdrivers for that on an iphone which I didn’t have to hand. They (unlike most tools in Taiwan) are readily available, but she probably wouldn’t have let me touch the bloody thing with them if I had them.

I assume the repair guy she eventually gave it to would have tried the reset technique. I can’t since the battery autodestructed and, since the phone couldn’t be re-charged, it wasn’t worth buying another one. Could possibly try it at a shop.

I suspect the battery may have discharged partly through the charging path, which would likely kill that too.

Do you think one of those little jewellry-style ultrasonic cleaning baths puts in enough energy to destroy components (in general) and break connections? IF there’s a specific problem with the timing crystal one could just possibly identify and remove it, though its probably on the main board.

I think now its officially declared dead I probably have carte blanche for desperate measures.

True. I’ve argued a lot because of this. Anything I tried to repair caused me the same problem.

And even if you fix something and tell them that you fixed it, they have a hard time believing it… “really? you did it yourself?”. It’s a lost cause, I guess.

squidoo.com/dropped-iphone-in-water

it has happened to many.

Why assume he tried? Because he demonstrated such expert ability with his use of a toothbrush? Certainly this is a lot less drastic than any other measure you are planning to take next. If it works, you have fixed the phone by just pressing and holding a couple of buttons for a few seconds.

Reading the article here [url=http://www.macworld.com/article/1166467/a_simple_fix_for_when_your_iphone_wont_charge.html]A simple fix for when your iPhone won't charge[/url] looks to me like Apple have a feature that requires resetting the iPhone when water damage is registered.

Here’s another article. How to Restore an iPhone After Water Damage It suggests doing a reset through iTunes. If you connect to the computer via USB, I guess you have power and the lack of battery wont matter. In fact, I’d try this method first if I could.

[quote=“Mick”][quote=“Ducked”]

I assume the repair guy she eventually gave it to would have tried the reset technique. I can’t since the battery autodestructed and, since the phone couldn’t be re-charged, it wasn’t worth buying another one. Could possibly try it at a shop.

[/quote]

Why assume he tried? Because he demonstrated such expert ability with his use of a toothbrush? Certainly this is a lot less drastic than any other measure you are planning to take next. If it works, you have fixed the phone by just pressing and holding a couple of buttons for a few seconds.

Reading the article here [url=http://www.macworld.com/article/1166467/a_simple_fix_for_when_your_iphone_wont_charge.html]A simple fix for when your iPhone won't charge[/url] looks to me like Apple have a feature that requires resetting the iPhone when water damage is registered.[/quote]

I suppose because he gave a general impression of competence, and (rarer) didn’t apparently take any of the opportunities I gave him to bullshit. I found this to be rather rare when I worked in IT in the UK, and I’d expect it to be at least as rare here.

I didn’t mean to discount your suggestion though, which is much appreciated, and I’ll certainly try and manouvre to test it before I do anything else.

I’ve adopted the attitude of talking-down hope on this issue, both because I think that’s the way to bet, and to avoid disappointment.

Saving a fone from the drink is like saving a drowned man after hes been under past a few minutes. He may wake up from his coma with no brain damage, or with some damage or be a vegetable. Theres no telling what is or isnt going to work.

Same with your smartfone after a dunking. You may make it work 100pct (most likely not tho) , you may make some features work and others not (leading to a constant source of aggro) or you may not be able to do anything with it other then give it to a baby as a toy.

Basically its a goner in most cases.

DIY is not vey popular in Taiwan. Most men in Taiwan don’t even know how to change tires on a car.

on that note, once did a tire change at a freeway rest stop in near Tainan and two tour buses of japanese tourists stopped near me and they all came out of the bus and formed a circle around me. None of them had ever changed a tire before in their lives. Was what the tour guide explained. :laughing:

[quote=“tommy525”]http://www.squidoo.com/dropped-iphone-in-water

it has happened to many.[/quote]

yes but this does not offer any real help for repair. you can find many sites like this (myibroke.com/services/water-damage.html) that have a good reputation and do water recovery all of the time. this particular company also does motherboard work with soldering components.

I have run into this before and was able to save it myself by putting the motherboard out of the phone overnight so it could dry without the battery, but I am sure there are worst cases. you should also look at this page ifixit.com/Wiki/Electronics_Water_Damage they are the leader in do it yourself repair

on that note, once did a tire change at a freeway rest stop in near Tainan and two tour buses of japanese tourists stopped near me and they all came out of the bus and formed a circle around me. None of them had ever changed a tire before in their lives. Was what the tour guide explained. :laughing:[/quote]

that is great! lol

my bud joe just told me he saved his android fone, even though he went swimming with it for five minutes. Lucky it wasnt on at the time and he made no attempt to turn it on. He took out the sim card, the battery, the micro sd card and shook the fone as much as possibly to shake out any water, then put it into one of those tupperware boxes you can seal, with several cups of uncooked rice for a week. After a week, everything was dried out, and he put it all together again, battery, sim card, micro sd and turned it on and it all worked 100pct.

so it can be saved.

[quote=“tommy525”]Saving a phone from the drink is like saving a drowned man after hes been under past a few minutes. He may wake up from his coma with no brain damage, or with some damage or be a vegetable. Theres no telling what is or isnt going to work.

Same with your smartfone after a dunking. You may make it work 100pct (most likely not tho) , you may make some features work and others not (leading to a constant source of aggro) or you may not be able to do anything with it other then give it to a baby as a toy.

Basically its a goner in most cases.[/quote]

Unless there is corrosion (soda) or circuit bridging (metal in un-pure water) then there should be no problem if the phone falls into water. I’ve never failed to rescue a phone that has fallen into a glass of water or a toilet.

One trick that accelerates the drying process is to get a good vacuum and cup your hand to form an airtight seal between the nozzle and phone and then just suck all the water you can out of all the openings in the phone.