We've been evicted... from the park

As per title.

Last night, I take Toto for his walk and at the main gate to the park’s entrance -an enclosed area between the church, the hotel and the private residence building- and there was a sign: NO PETS ALLOWED

:astonished: :cry:

No more safe, unleashed, grassy area for Toto to prance about.

I feel it more for the other doggies, whose owners are too busy to walk up to the river park or Tzu Chi Hospital or sowmehere else. The park was so convenient. It is also more dangerous and less social to walk up and down the streets/sidewalks. People do not like doggie peeing or -Heaven forbid- going bingo bingo in front of/near their homes.

They say it is because many owners did not pick up the golden treasures left by their pups.

Sigh

Yes, it is horrible that some owners ruin the fun for everyone. I get so mad when I see people walking their dogs in the streets, watching it poop, and walk away. Then some guy gets out of his car, steps in it…and call the van of death to come pick up the strays.

Not everyone likes dogs. And I LOVE dogs and have been irritated by a huge dog running around the park (and I’m talking busy park with kids and bikes) Go down to a 4 year old’s level and see what a Golden Retriever running towards you look like.

It is such a pity that people don’t walk their dogs responsibly…because it’s usually the people that care that get schnaaid.

Yep, as we say in Spanish: pagan justos por pecadores - because of sinners, saints are punished.

Hey Icon, is that a public park? if so then that sign is illegal… according to Taiwan’s law, dogs are allowed in all public areas… there is another case mentioned here in the forum about a lady who had the same issue, and after a few complaints with the police the park cleaners had to remove the sign and apologize or something like that… so call police and get that problem fixed because dogs are legal in Taiwan… as long as you clean their business… don’t be just another lazy foreigner that will let these kind of situations pass just because its not your country

He’s right. If it’s a public park, the sign is illegal.

I am 99% sure it is private, as I mentioned before, it is enclosed, and surrounded by teh church -private- the hotel -private- and the two towers that make the private residences.

The entrance is through the parking lot, for which you pay.

They have groups exercising in teh morning, but they are tehre with permision from the church groups.

They have gently allow us neighbors to enter freely, until now. It is a pity they had to make this decission but understandable.

I was planning to move to that complex in order to guarantee that Toto would always have a place to go. But now it is all doggies that are banned, so I think we’ll wait until things cool down and then organize to propose a clean up party or something. I was already thinking there could be some way to contribute since we were getting this benefit.

Is this definitely all of Taiwan, and not maybe just Taipei? All the public parks here in Taichung have “no dogs” signs, and while they’re not generally enforced out here in the suburbs, the ones in the city center sure are.

This is something I’ve been worrying about happening at the number 4 park (near Yongan Market Station) near my house soon too. I can’t believe the amount of dog poo I almost step in on a daily basis. Lately, they’ve had a security guard walking around outside with a big megaphone shouting out something in Chinese. The only word I understand in it is “dog”. Does anyone know about this?

It’s such a shame that others will ruin it for responsible poo picker-uppers.

So far, no one’s come up to talk to me (or kick me out). But I always have my dog on a leash and have a poo bag, so maybe I’m the least of their worries.

Maybe you could talk to the group that owns the park and get “dog time” like the others have exercise time? Then you might have better control over the ones who don’t pick up the mess.

Yep, Tiare, I am waiting to meet with other likely minded dog owners. The ones I’ve talked to say they’ve been harrassed about the dog poop -and these are the responsible ones doing the picking. They say they’ve had a few run-ins with one of the prominent ladies -who likes me a lot, by the way- and are tired of it, so they will not go there anymore. :frowning:

We could make a group to clean up at determinate times, or as you say, limit the time there. The problem is that I am sure teh ones leaving teh poop are teh doggies that are let out by themselves, meaning the woner lets them run loose while he stays at home. There is a big aggressive dog that is let out every night, and the owner of teh lamp shop dogs also come by themselves. Plus of course the occassional jerk who simply does not bother to collect the golden treasures.

Now that we have to walk the area around the market and main street, I find even more golden treasures than at the park. :s

There’s a small public park on the JingMei river just behind our community where someone put up an official-looking no-dogs-allowed sign. Someone else spray painted black over the dog part and we ignore it.

well i couldnt find the document i saw before, but as mentioned, dogs are legal all over taiwan in public areas as long as they have a leash, and if you dont pick up the poo then you might be fined for it…
why dont you guys try asking some governmental institution… not just a police officer since sometimes they dont know or they will just do what is best for the community and not what the law says, by that i mean if you ask a local police officer from the neighbor then he might tell you that its legal to put the sign… so just try with a bigger fish :wink:

This only applies to public parks, but I wrote about this problem here: [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 8#p1021088](Where do you let your dog pee? - #21 by John

Once you have confirmation from the mayor’s office in writing, you can ignore all the bullshit anyone throws at you. Let them call the police, just show them your letter and keep smiling.

Guys, the area is fenced, it has a gate, it is private. Churches are not public property nor hotels. Unfortunately.

Negotiation and diplomacy are our only means for peace right now. Wish us luck.

Craig, next time just spray over the “No” part. It takes half as much paint. :wink:

Two thirds.

I recall seeing “no dog” signs at the Daan Park and 2/28 Park in Taipei. Does that mean I’m okay to walk my dog there? And does anyone have a link to a site where I can print out something to prove that dogs are allowed in any public parks?

Daily walks, especially in the morning, have become not so relaxing as they used to be. We have to cross the market to get to “open” sidewalks, and in the morning there are lots of cars and scooters and groups of smoking youngsters -high school students :fume: . In the evening it is just scooters mostly and garbage. Yuch. I have to be constantly alert for people, cars, other doggies… can’t walk peacefully on the sidewalk as most people don’t look down and bump Toto, who gets angry and starts barking and then people get all scared and yell why is such a fierce dog on the loose… :unamused:

Haven’t been in the riverside park in a while but then when we went there at night, I discovered the packs of strays have gotten bigger and meaner and closer to teh entrance, by the basketball courts. The night we were there a couple of dogs collaborated into stealing a guy’s snacks. Then the pack was acting really aggressive with some bigger dogs, like labs and golden retrievers. It was also not a pleasant experience.

The other people are taking the dogs to Tzu Chi, but if everyone goes there we will have teh same problem again. Sigh

Never realized doggie parks were sure a dire need. :frowning:

That certainly sounds bugger, the govn’t should start new division for dog poop collectors likes one I’ve seen in Holland, you don’t have to pick up the poo (and no one does), and there are city workers that drive around in little vacuum-equipped golf-kart and vacuum up the poo, great ideas and create more jobs! then they use the poo for fertilizer, or simply dump all the poo in a well and put those irritating politicians in there as death sentence.

On a side note, perhaps someone can start an off-leash park that charges people? there’s one close to my house and its indoor, you pay a monthly fee and you can bring your doggies there in winter, they’ll clean the poo and what not, its about $15/month, so more or less $500NT?

Please explain who is going to pay for this. Are you thinking that the taxpayer, who on average does not own a pet, should foot the bill? Why should the rest of us pay to clean up after you?

[quote=“Chigga”]That certainly sounds bugger, the govn’t should start new division for dog poop collectors likes one I’ve seen in Holland, you don’t have to pick up the poo (and no one does), and there are city workers that drive around in little vacuum-equipped golf-kart and vacuum up the poo, great ideas and create more jobs! then they use the poo for fertilizer, or simply dump all the poo in a well and put those irritating politicians in there as death sentence.

On a side note, perhaps someone can start an off-leash park that charges people? there’s one close to my house and its indoor, you pay a monthly fee and you can bring your doggies there in winter, they’ll clean the poo and what not, its about $15/month, so more or less $500NT?[/quote]

Considering all they are investing in flower arrangements and other temporary ornaments, a division like this, that also takes care of stray dogs poop -which is a lot more in quantity and prominence), this would idea would be a better move and far more effective.

I was thinking of doing that, getting people together and paying someone to clean the park and hence the people there would not be bothered and it would not be an additional task for the hotel people. It is part of my eveil plan once thinsg cool off a little -there are animosities all around.

As to paid doggie park, I’ll pay. And 15 a month sounds reasonable. Doggie day care in Xindian is like 800 nts … a day. :astonished: But God knows I’d pay if I could so Toto would be happy. Where is this park you mention? Wanhua?