We've been evicted... from the park

Please explain who is going to pay for this. Are you thinking that the taxpayer, who on average does not own a pet, should foot the bill? Why should the rest of us pay to clean up after you?[/quote]

Its also patronizing that someone wants to spend their day hoovering up your dog’s poo because you cant be bothered. Are you also one of those guys protesting over the nanny state in other threads?..

Its not like its actually disgusting (for the owner to do) at all, roll plastic bag over hand, grab, hold opening, flick, tie, dump. All of 3seconds. … :ponder:

… Actually, how much are you planning on payin these guys though, Ill do it for 4hours/day @ 1000 an hour (no weekends), but you gotta supply biodegradable plastic bags (no hoover required)

What you need to do is to convince people that dog poo is an ancient Chinese medical remedy that can help to prevent swine flu. They would be knocking you over to clean up after their dog, your dog, and the dogs of strangers. :smiley:

[quote=“redwagon”]
Please explain who is going to pay for this. Are you thinking that the taxpayer, who on average does not own a pet, should foot the bill? Why should the rest of us pay to clean up after you?[/quote]

To be honest, I don’t know, my in-laws are Dutch, and I was surprise to see city worker with a job title as “dog poo collector”, I think it would make sense if they make a bill about mandatory pet-registration in Taiwan, and its mandatory that you have to pay let’s say $500NT/yr for your pet, and that’ll go into more pet-related spending, such as poo collection, etc. Their catch line would “we are doing it for your safety, as feline/dog/rat/fish flu can be easier to control if we know where your pets are”

Hi Icon, sorry for didn’t state earlier, its actually in Northern Toronto, its an idea that has been lingering at the back of my head, as my parents have moved back to Taiwan for the time being and my mother is constantly calling me saying she’s bored, I mentioned this to her, and she said there is a market for it.

Perhaps the fellow doggie owners that frequent the “doggie park” can get together and discuss charging fees from each members and then rent the lot from say 8am til 10pm? I believe you’ve said it belongs to the Church? then you can simply convince the Bishop that its donation in the name of Christ, and the dogs, and they can use the poo as fertilizer.

In the (rather too upscale for their own good) neighborhoods around the school I taught at last year (in the US), there are quite a few signs advertising yard clean-up services that will come around to your place and clean up your dog poo from your own yard. Nice signs too – they must be doing well.

[quote=“Icon”]Haven’t been in the riverside park in a while but then when we went there at night, I discovered the packs of strays have gotten bigger and meaner and closer to teh entrance, by the basketball courts. The night we were there a couple of dogs collaborated into stealing a guy’s snacks. Then the pack was acting really aggressive with some bigger dogs, like labs and golden retrievers. It was also not a pleasant experience.[/quote] I haven’t been to the riverside park in a long, long time because of this. Years ago I stopped going close to dusk because a big pack of about 20 strays once stalked a friend and I. Our only defense was a water bottle, which we squirted at the aggressive alpha when it got too close. Knowing the water would soon run out was not a pleasant feeling. Luckily, a guy went by on a scooter with a dog, which distracted the pack. They chased him, and we got away. Yes, I was very, very scared. Don’t show it, but I figure it doesn’t matter. As far as I am concerned, those expensive parks are there only for strays, not people or pets. I don’t take my dogs there even in the daytime - it is just too stressful keeping them safe from the packs.
I think picking up dog poo is disgusting, but not nearly as disgusting as leaving it there for someone else to step in -
I have noticed I am the only one in the area who uses plastic bags. Others use DM fliers or newspapers and then either dump the poo into the storm drains, or put the poo wrapped in paper into the garbage cans we have in some of the lanes. I realize plastic bags , even if I am using used ones collected from work, are not very environmentally friendly, but I am not keen on putting unwrapped poo into the garbage because several people go through the garbages looking for recycle-ables. Getting a handful of poo would be an awful start to someone’s day…
Wondering what other people are doing for poo collection?
(Is this one of those times when Taiwanese friends will chirp, “You think too much” ?)

A new law eh? Like the one that says pets are supposed to be chipped so the strays can be identified and the dumpers punished? How is that one working out?

[quote=“kage”][quote=“Icon”]Haven’t been in the riverside park in a while but then when we went there at night, I discovered the packs of strays have gotten bigger and meaner and closer to teh entrance, by the basketball courts. The night we were there a couple of dogs collaborated into stealing a guy’s snacks. Then the pack was acting really aggressive with some bigger dogs, like labs and golden retrievers. It was also not a pleasant experience.[/quote] I haven’t been to the riverside park in a long, long time because of this. Years ago I stopped going close to dusk because a big pack of about 20 strays once stalked a friend and I. Our only defense was a water bottle, which we squirted at the aggressive alpha when it got too close. Knowing the water would soon run out was not a pleasant feeling. Luckily, a guy went by on a scooter with a dog, which distracted the pack. They chased him, and we got away. Yes, I was very, very scared. Don’t show it, but I figure it doesn’t matter. As far as I am concerned, those expensive parks are there only for strays, not people or pets. I don’t take my dogs there even in the daytime - it is just too stressful keeping them safe from the packs.
I think picking up dog poo is disgusting, but not nearly as disgusting as leaving it there for someone else to step in -
I have noticed I am the only one in the area who uses plastic bags. Others use DM fliers or newspapers and then either dump the poo into the storm drains, or put the poo wrapped in paper into the garbage cans we have in some of the lanes. I realize plastic bags , even if I am using used ones collected from work, are not very environmentally friendly, but I am not keen on putting unwrapped poo into the garbage because several people go through the garbages looking for recycle-ables. Getting a handful of poo would be an awful start to someone’s day…
Wondering what other people are doing for poo collection?
(Is this one of those times when Taiwanese friends will chirp, “You think too much” ?)[/quote]
I’ve walked a dog in riverside park for three years there are about 100 strays in that area, some in packs of about 20. I’ve never had any trouble. Sometimes they bark and if you walk towards them they just run away. I’ve been there at 3 am in the morning in the pitch dark and no trouble at all. Sure if I was a child it would be different MAYBE if a child was there at 3am. They chase the motorcycles because people feed them while throwing food of a motorcycle. You were not being stalked more likely they thought you had food and were going to feed them. Where in riverside was this as I’d love to go and see if they are really staking perhaps we can meet and I can check out your story of these packs of attacking dogs. I’m up for it, lets bring the press too. I’ll walk up to the pack okay? The story you tell is a serious one and if true that alpha male needs to be dealt with immediately. I will carry pepper spray so it is no problem and I’ve been around dogs far more potentially dangerous than that one. The stray dogs in my area of Riverside have nearly all been spayed as I know the lady that arranges it and I’ve even caught two of the dogs for her. Take me down there and we will get it sorted on condition that these dogs are as dangerous as you say. If not then we need to calm things down a bit.

yah there was a program on animal planet of some geeza doing if for the Hollywood elite. he goes to their garden and cleans up there dog shit cause it is below them to do such work. Anyways he was a rags to riches story and is now a multi millionaire as he eventually hired others to do it etc lol\\ :thumbsup:

Having seven dogs, six medium sized and one small, I can only walk them off leash and in the middle of the night. I carry two of those long-handled dustpans that can be used like jaws to munch the turds. I reckon with all my dogs running around sometimes I’m going to miss a turd, so to compensate for that I shovel up any dog turd I see, whether it’s from my dogs or not. I reckon the streets of Datong District get a net reduction in the number of dog turds thanks to my dog-walking.

Dog shit is not suitable for fertilizer. All the poo I collect gets flushed down the toilet.

[quote=“fenlander”]I’ve walked a dog in riverside park for three years there are about 100 strays in that area, some in packs of about 20. I’ve never had any trouble. Sometimes they bark and if you walk towards them they just run away. I’ve been there at 3 am in the morning in the pitch dark and no trouble at all. Sure if I was a child it would be different MAYBE if a child was there at 3am. They chase the motorcycles because people feed them while throwing food of a motorcycle. You were not being stalked more likely they thought you had food and were going to feed them. Where in riverside was this as I’d love to go and see if they are really staking perhaps we can meet and I can check out your story of these packs of attacking dogs. I’m up for it, lets bring the press too. I’ll walk up to the pack okay? The story you tell is a serious one and if true that alpha male needs to be dealt with immediately. I will carry pepper spray so it is no problem and I’ve been around dogs far more potentially dangerous than that one. The stray dogs in my area of Riverside have nearly all been spayed as I know the lady that arranges it and I’ve even caught two of the dogs for her. Take me down there and we will get it sorted on condition that these dogs are as dangerous as you say. If not then we need to calm things down a bit.[/quote] They never actually attacked. Stalked, I felt. I’d rather the press only came if it was something that could promote animal welfare - maybe for a CNR campaign?
Actually, if you are serious about coming down, I’d appreciate that. Mainly because I am intrigued that you are able to walk a dog near a pack of 20 strays. If I could do that, then the area available to walk my dog would greatly be increased (both quantity as well as quality). I would love to take my dogs to the river without being worried about their safety. Thanks heaps for the offer!
A couple notes to my experience: I was bitten by two strays on different occasions in my first year in Taiwan. Although I had never really noticed them before, after that I hated strays. A few years later, through observing Straydog’s and others efforts to make a difference, I came around enough not to think a mass cull was appropriate anymore. By adopting a dog from AT and fostering a dog from the SPCA, (as well as 4 or 5 rescues and adoptions on my own), I have changed my tune - mostly, but not entirely (as indicated by my negative post about the strays at teh riverside park). A couple dogs have challenged - and nipped - my dog, but through training and support from Straydog, I have learned to put out a different vibe so that now those dogs are not a threat to mine. However, confronting one dog is a lot different than a pack. ( I have heard from others that you should not make eye contact, but should face them to show you are aware of them, for instance - haven’t tried to put it into practice with a pack, though.)
I haven’t been back to the riverside park in maybe 4 years. I would LOVE to take my dogs there.
What part of town are you in? What area of the riverside park do you walk your dog?

I would also be keen on doing a CNR program in this area (Banqiao), especially if others are willing to get involved. I tried on my own, and it was rather disheartening.

Let me know if you have the time to come check them out.